Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on house / apartment as investment

Options
  • 25-11-2017 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi, I am an emigrant looking to come home in the next few years but want to get a foot on the property ladder now.

What’s people’s opinion on an investment property either as a3 bed semi d in south county Dublin versus a city centre apartment?

Comments

Hi, I am an emigrant looking to come home in the next few years but want to get a foot on the property ladder now.

What’s people’s opinion on an investment property either as a3 bed semi d in south county Dublin versus a city centre apartment?

There are a lot of additional potential costs in a house versus an apartment. Considering so many landlords are getting out of the market in Ireland at the moment due to the costs and hassle is there a reason you have selected property for your investment?

A city centre apartment scratch that, either option will be expensive to buy. Even at 2k a month it will be several years before you even break even on it.

And to be honest, property ladder as a phrase doesnt work in Ireland. In other countries you can buy a one room cabin for feck all, live in it for a few years improve it a bit, sell it for a profit and upgrade to something a bit better, do the same again, etc etc. You can own 5-6 properties in your lifetime. In ireland most people only own one in their lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Some landlords must be benefiting otherwise why are there so many.
    There is plenty of demand for rental accommodation in Dublin.
    I think if a potential landlord does their homework on where best to purchase and ensures they get good tenants and on turn be a decent landlord, then it should be possible to have a property that will be worth more in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rossmores

High Taxes, tenant risk and further demise of property rights there are some loonies in our parliament and about 70 organizations representing homeless want to remove owners rights and blanket ban on evictions from rented properties i would advise invest in another market

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Take tax advice on the rent while you're not in the country - I know there is special circumstances that apply.

Are you borrowing?

Advertisement