Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toy recommendations for 1st birthday

Options
  • 25-11-2017 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

It's a bit early but I'm starting to think about what to get my 8 month old for her birthday. I'm looking for ideas because I'm hoping to buy in the January sales. Her birthday is in March.

I don't intend to ever have lots and lots of stuff for her. I'm keen to build a collection of a few really good toys rather than lots of plastic rubbish. I'm really looking for something that she will love and get lots of use out of and that is also beneficial in an educational or developmental way.

We already have soft toys, nesting and stacking things, lots of books, bath toys, wooden puzzles, building blocks and musical instruments.

I'm kind of thinking of things she would need to manipulate in some way or things to encourage movement but I'm open to other ideas.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or recommendations!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

endacl wrote: »
    Ball.

I forgot to include that. She has a ball and absolutely loves it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Garden toy? A little young for a slide yet without assistance but invaluable next summer

Garden toy? A little young for a slide yet without assistance but invaluable next summer

At what age would they start using a slide?

At what age would they start using a slide?

Depends on when they start walking actually-we had a relatively early walker. Our lad is an end of January birthday and had a slide at 1 1/2. However you could also go for (in order of his garden play preferences at that age)
    1. Sand and play table/pit
    2. Playhouse
    3. Little tykes car

We actually did all of those second hand from adverts. My sisters lad was your age this summer and the ride ons were his favourite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This Mickey mouse plane, kids love it, a baby can stick their hand in the propellers when it's turning and it won't hurt them, loads of noises, lights etc. There's a cheaper version without the safety srat and rocking base which i don't think are necessary..will do from 0-5 at least....don't bother waiting for a birthday there a bit young to get birthdays for a while.
    https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/outdoor/ride-ons/4-in-1-mickey-plane-activity-ride-on/p/135408

Yeah, I was thinking she might enjoy some sort of ride on or rocking horse. Is there a good one suitable for a 12 month old but that would also last her a few years?

I do think she'll be an early walker as she's always on her feet. She's showing no signs of crawling but she's cruising already.

A sand table is a great idea as well. Are they ok to play with sand when they're still at the stage of everything going straight into the mouth? Or is there a table / toy set we could use for water play and then change to sand when she's older? She's crazy about the bath.

This Mickey mouse plane, kids love it, a baby can stick their hand in the propellers when it's turning and it won't hurt them, loads of noises, lights etc. There's a cheaper version without the safety srat and rocking base which i don't think are necessary..will do from 0-5 at least....don't bother waiting for a birthday there a bit young to get birthdays for a while.
    https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/outdoor/ride-ons/4-in-1-mickey-plane-activity-ride-on/p/135408

Something like that but not Disney would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Were in the same boat, and are 'toying' at the idea of a trike / little tyke as mentioned above :)
    I hope this will come in handy during walks when we can ditch the buggy the odd time!

• Advertisement

Something like that but not Disney would be great.

What's wrong with Disney, she'll have no idea what Disney is anyway, we've one since about 6mts and there still playing with it 3yrs later they started walking behind it...think there's different themes not just Disney..
    No to sand, kids will eat it..no to anything that can possibly choke on, I've been scared senseless too many times very conscious of it now.

Oops still Disney there's a Minnie mouse version in pink

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Were in the same boat, and are 'toying' at the idea of a trike / little tyke as mentioned above :)
    I hope this will come in handy during walks when we can ditch the buggy the odd time!

I'll sell you one with less than 2km on it, they won't be able to pedal it...thought it was a great idea at the time..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'll sell you one with less than 2km on it, they won't be able to pedal it...thought it was a great idea at the time..

The car? :D
    I guess you're right. May need to declare it off the road for a couple of years until the legs grow!
    The trikes look good as you can push them along though?

Yeah, I was thinking she might enjoy some sort of ride on or rocking horse. Is there a good one suitable for a 12 month old but that would also last her a few years?

I do think she'll be an early walker as she's always on her feet. She's showing no signs of crawling but she's cruising already.

A sand table is a great idea as well. Are they ok to play with sand when they're still at the stage of everything going straight into the mouth? Or is there a table / toy set we could use for water play and then change to sand when she's older? She's crazy about the bath.

Sand only with supervision. And by supervision I mean I literally held his hands to stop him eating it! Most of them you can just add water if you’d prefer it.

On the ride on inside I forgot we got the vtech alphabet train at his first birthday and he’s still using it daily two years on

What's wrong with Disney, she'll have no idea what Disney is anyway

Nothing really. I'm just not into big multinational franchises. I don't know what age brand awareness starts but I'm keen to delay it for as long as I can. There's also no need for it on a thing like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Wexy86

I would second the vtech alphabet train. Its getting great use as it has functions as a walker, ride along, musical buttons and has a slot to put bricks down through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My little boy will be two next week. Last Christmas we got a little tikes my first slide, and it’s been used from Christmas Day. He didn’t walk until Feb, but he loved being lifted to the top of the slide to slide down it. We kept it inside until the summer.
    He loves the alphabet train too, it was his older brothers, but he uses it all the time. We also have one of those walker things, and he loves chasing people around with it. It’s noisy on tiles though- it lives in my mothers house, the racket is unreal when he’s running with it!
    This summer I got a water table (I think it’s called fountain factory), and him and my now 6 yr old got great use out of it. I also picked up a second hand playhouse on adverts, and he adores it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I may have “lost” the bricks for the train though. I got sick of picking them up every night.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Santa brought something very similar to this https://www.mamasandpapas.com/en-ie/rocking-horse-pom-pom/p/644900005/ for my little boy for Christmas when he was 1 and 2 months. He got great enjoyment out of it and I think he was 4 when we finally had to put it away (purely because he was starting to rock far more enthusiastically and trying to stand up on the saddle while rocking) It was a good height, because he was able to climb on to it himself without too much assistance and it didn't cost the earth.

Also +1 on the little tykes first slide - my parents got one for my little boy when he was about 10 months, he couldn't climb it yet but he liked being lifted to the top and sliding down. He's 6 now and still uses it, even though he's getting a bit tall for it now. He enjoys putting his teddies down it, although we did have to intervene when we saw him trying to maneuver a trike up to the top and ride down it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

whiskeyman wrote: »

We got the trike for a first birthday present.... while our little girl did really like it for walks only for a very short period as once she was up on her feet she didn’t want to be in anything. Also because they’re quite exposed in it they’re not great for a windy or wet or very cold day. And nowhere near as nice to push as a buggy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

I like educational or wooden toys and hate anything plastic / noisy / franchised.

I would suggest first doll (go for soft bodied one at that age), toy kitchen, scuttlebug (I’ll forgive the plastic), musical instruments, duplo, stacking blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

I like educational or wooden toys and hate anything plastic / noisy / franchised.

I would suggest first doll (go for soft bodied one at that age), toy kitchen, scuttlebug (I’ll forgive the plastic), musical instruments, duplo, stacking blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

I picked up a few nice wooden musical instruments from this Irish website recently.

https://www.littleones.ie/toys.html

Nothing really. I'm just not into big multinational franchises. I don't know what age brand awareness starts but I'm keen to delay it for as long as I can. There's also no need for it on a thing like that.

I'm still giggling at this, once they go to crèche and you get tired of reading them poetry and allow some TV they'll be brand aware but not in a bad way, they'll be imitating characters which is all good imaginative play fun.
    Our 2yr old is always to the rescue when we need him, he's also very concerned what norman price is up to. It's near impossible to avoid advertising and what there friends have in crèche, they all nearly have branded bags.
    If you really want to get them a present a little brother or sister that's not much younger will give them the most playtime : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Out of all the toys my daughter ever had, this has been her all time favourite. I got it again for Christmas for my son. Can't wait for him to play with it.

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toys/pre-school-and-electronic-learning/development-and-activity-toys/old-macdonald-farmhouse-and-tractor-set/p/101764

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

We got this for my now 14 month old when she turned 1.
    Great for learning cause and effect. She spends ages playing with it. Very sweet to see them learning something so simple.

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toys/pre-school-and-electronic-learning/branford-toys/pop-up-pals/p/144141

I'm the same. I much prefer wooden toys to plastic and can't stand those noisy plastic things that pretend to be educational. The simpler the better. A lot of the plastic stuff recommended here is not for me but I appreciate the suggestions anyway. :)

Musical instruments, blocks and soft toys / dolls we have. I think she's too young for a kitchen because she wouldn't be into imaginative play yet.

I'm still giggling at this, once they go to crèche and you get tired of reading them poetry and allow some TV they'll be brand aware but not in a bad way, they'll be imitating characters which is all good imaginative play fun.
    Our 2yr old is always to the rescue when we need him, he's also very concerned what norman price is up to. It's near impossible to avoid advertising and what there friends have in crèche, they all nearly have branded bags.
    If you really want to get them a present a little brother or sister that's not much younger will give them the most playtime : )

She won't ever be going to creche and we don't have a tv so no worries there. :p

Edited to add, I don't even know who or what norman price is! And if they have branded bags at that age, it's because the parents are buying them, not that they would have a huge choice going by what I see around the shops. Nearly everything has some sort of character on it. I'm not saying that's bad, it's just not for us. Also, children were having imaginative play fun long before franchises took over the world. I used to make up my own characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭appledrop

I wouldn't bother with a trike. They are really better off in a buggy or practising their walking. We did get a Thomas tank engine ride on for his birthday + he loves it. Santa is bringing a wooden kitchen as 18mths now + loves tidying up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

We got a push trike for our first at that age.It's had some use, not a huge amount though.Our second got a wooden trike with no handle, Aldi or Lidl had them again recently.Much more accessible for her, she likes it.

I am intrigued by stuff that we would have not got for our elder til later because we felt she would be 'too young' at 1 but that our younger has always loved (because when she came the stuff was in the house, there's a 21 mth age gap).So for what it's worth....

Small slide is a definite good one.No.2 took ages to walk but boy could she climb.She loves our slide.Even better when there's a ball pool at the bottom of it. ;-) A ball pool is an excellent first birthday present, it's hours and hours of harmless fun and they crawl in and out easily.You get sick of picking balls up but there are ways around that!

An indoor tepee or tent house or an outdoor playhouse.Invaluable.

Our first is not a doll child, but our second loves them.A small soft bodied doll, great if you can get a couple of accessories like a bottle with it.Smyths do a set of a cot/buggy/highchair for 30eur.They aren't the sturdiest but they get huge use here.There are wooden options there too.

We have a Happyland fairy treehouse from Mothercare that is constantly in use.I am not a major plastic fan but I would recommend this.It's the little people in it....they are chunky and good for 1year olds and they actually love them.It's only noise is a ringing doorbell that sounds like chimes, but I rarely hear it.

A push alongtruck, that they can sit on and scoot.You know the type with a high handle for the back, and they can lift the seat cover in it.Smyths have minnie mouse versions (not merchandise fan, but it's hard to get this with no branding).Again, constant use.

Bear in mind that what she might not use straight away at 1, she could be all over at 18 mths because so much change happens in that first year. We also have a small wooden work bench that gets pulled out a lot, a small table and chairs from Ikea....both love that....and an Ikea kitchen which our second has loved since she could pull herself up on the furniture.They do surprise you!

Musical instruments are nice but the noise kills me.And we already have a few full size ones in our house anyway. :-)

Advertisement