Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toy recommendations for 1st birthday

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

if you haven’t seen them it might be worth taking a look at some of the Grimms wooden toys. We got a 12 piece rainbow for our one year old little boy for Christmas. I think his older sisters will get more use out of it for the time being but he’ll grow into it. We also got him the Toot Toot drivers as he is mad about anything that he can drive. We have a mix of toys in the house, wooden stuff, lots of puzzles and books, lots of art/craft stuff and then the plastic/noisy stuff too :)

We didn’t get a kitchen until our eldest was 2 because we assumed she wouldn’t get any use out of it before then. She’s 4 now but still loves it and so do our 2 and just turned 1 year old. He’s not walking yet but pulls himself up and cruises. He loves opening and closing the doors on it and turning the knobs. Our 2 year old has been bringing us ‘meals’ from it for months, definitely a good while before she turned 2.

You mentioned a doll, there are anatomically correct soft bodied ones called Rubens barn dolls. Similarly to another poster, my eldest has never really been into dolls whereas my 2 year old loved them from very early on. I don’t like the look of the Rubens barn stuff but I have friends whose kids love them.

What’s gotten the most play here over the years have been our wooden food, kitchen, scuttlebug, stacking cups and duplo. We had plenty of wooden blocks that never got the same love as the Duplo. Our tea set gets loads of use too.

Littleones.ie and babame would probably have some nice ideas for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

I'm the same. I much prefer wooden toys to plastic and can't stand those noisy plastic things that pretend to be educational. The simpler the better. A lot of the plastic stuff recommended here is not for me but I appreciate the suggestions anyway. :)

Musical instruments, blocks and soft toys / dolls we have. I think she's too young for a kitchen because she wouldn't be into imaginative play yet.
    Our first got a kitchen when he was 11 months and it’s been used every day since. Most houses I know that have a kitchen for their oldest, end up with the younger ones playing with it from when they can stand (not even walk). Everything in my post was used either here or in friends houses from 1 year.

She won't ever be going to creche and we don't have a tv so no worries there. :p

Edited to add, I don't even know who or what norman price is! And if they have branded bags at that age, it's because the parents are buying them, not that they would have a huge choice going by what I see around the shops. Nearly everything has some sort of character on it. I'm not saying that's bad, it's just not for us. Also, children were having imaginative play fun long before franchises took over the world. I used to make up my own characters.
    Completely agree. We are the exact same. I’ve never bought anything with a character on it and any presents were quickly dispatched to the charity shop

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

Thanks everyone, there are some great ideas coming.

So far, I'm thinking about
    • a rocking horse type thing
    • a slide
    • a table + toys for water play that can be used later for sand when she's able for it
    • a push along or pull along toy to encourage her walking

Playhouses and kitchens seem to be popular. We'll probably build her an outdoor "house" with a kitchen in it and maybe a workbench. That will be a project for next summer.

I'm not really into dolls myself and never was. I might leave that one until if or when she asks for one when she's older. No bottle accessories needed. If she does want a doll she can breastfeed it. ;)

Grimms toys are expensive but they are fabulous. I might look into their range a bit further.

• Advertisement

Does anyone have experience of something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I got something very similar for my niece was a sheep not a unicorn though, looked very cool but never got a lot of use, got the kids a big rocking horse and they use it rarely as well. (I think it has to have wheels so the can push and walk with it)
    To be honest that mickey or Minnie mouse plane I linked to will do all that and more for half the price. https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/outdoor/ride-ons/4-in-1-minnie-plane-ride-on/p/135409?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpq_H8Inc1wIVLbvtCh3JcQn4EAQYASABEgJ-o_D_BwE
    The fact its branded doesn't matter especially if she's never allowed TV, it's just a girl mouse with some duck and dog on the side. Kids love playing with it and all kids that drop over. It's 3yrs old now and still works perfect, it's well able for throwing around.

The irony is strong in you linking to a JoJo Mama product and your trying to avoid your daughter being influenced by media : )

Link not working for me

The irony is strong in you linking to a JoJo Mama product and your trying to avoid your daughter being influenced by media : )

Why? I just found it by browsing the web. I don't know much about Jojo Maman Bebe but I didn't think it was a major international franchise, is it? I don't think they even make that toy, they just sell it. It's also not a big plastic thing. I'd prefer a traditional wooden rocking horse but they seem to be not suitable for younger babies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Link not working for me

Cut out the first half of the link

• Advertisement

Link not working for me

Sorry, I don't know why that is. Anyway, it's a plush rocking unicorn.

Why? I just found it by browsing the web. I don't know much about Jojo Maman Bebe but I didn't think it was a major international franchise, is it? I don't think they even make that toy, they just sell it. It's also not a big plastic thing. I'd prefer a traditional wooden rocking horse but they seem to be not suitable for younger babies.

There way over priced as it's seen as a cool mammy brand, well made but you'd get her so much more things for the same money. If there were older kids around they'd be rocking in it and she could possibly get her hand squashed when rocking you'd be unlucky for it to happen. Still kids anythings possible.
    That plane is well made, has storage for her toys, and plenty to interact with it'll help her climb and walk. I know it's plastic but it's light so won't hurt when she pulls it over on herself.
    When she gets good at throwing, you'll be hoping she hits you with a plastic toy not a wooden one.

Link not working for me

Heres the link http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/d9097.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Would definitely recommend the My Pal teddy from Leap Frog. Got Scout for our little fella last Christmas, he was 4 months and still loves it today.

The girl version is Violet https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toys/pre-school-and-electronic-learning/leapfrog-infant/leapfrog-my-pal-violet/p/103451?gclid=Cj0KCQiA6enQBRDUARIsAGs1YQgEI_FMZvEZH3RS-h2fN4vg23yakea3x4jEgRAQM9zpohLmruYaXYsaAqsPEALw_wcB

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Oh she will breast feed it if she's into dolls.My elder breastfed hers when our no.2 came along and she saw me doing it.But you can get little bags of small cheap accessories like doll soothers or mats or doll nappies and bibs and they love those because they can relate to them as things in their lives.

We have an outdoor sand and water table.It's filled with sand, because doing one of each was too much mess for me to handle!! It's invaluable though.

One thing I'd suggest is if you are in houses with kids in them, watch what she picks up and plays with and has the most interest in.That should give you some ideas too.I never thought of little things like the treehouse with small people in it until I saw my eldest going for that stuff in friend's houses and loving it.

Scooters are a huge hit here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

My little 13mnth old is getting the little sheriff rocking horse from jojo's as it's on sale so we'll see what he thinks of it - we have a very very old rocking horse which is way too big for him, and he loves it, so we got the jojo one and are hoping he likes it!! - if you buy through jojo's then buy through the uk site as the price works out cheaper!!;)
    The plastic old mcdonald tractor as someomne else mentioned is great, the noah's ark of the same make is also a great toy and played with everyday!
    If you like wooden toys there is a big zoo activity toy cube at smyths which looks great, lidl and aldi also do wooden toys which my lo has loved too so worth keeping an eye out! TK Maxx often have wooden toys too so worth checking out!:)

I think it's hit and miss sometimes as the toys you'd think they'd go nuts for they don't play with and it's the ones you'd never think they'd love that they love!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Not that she needs anything... (because she sounds like she has everything a 9 month old needs!).. but maybe you want to front load?
    But here are the things my girls got most use out of over the years.

Dolls house.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Voila-Wooden-Eco-Dolls-House-Furniture/dp/B003QXMV0K

Play farm. We found playmobil very robust, and we like duplo, but I think voila do a wooden one too.

Doctor play set
    Food set for playing shop or cafe

More duplo ;)

And a set of play costumes. Police, doctor, chef etc.

For outdoors, a balance bike, or wellies and a little shovel and bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Agree with what a previous poster said regarding watch what they like to play with when they are out and about.
    My son is 18 months and we've gotten him the Ikea kitchen for Christmas, he loves playing with kitchens when we are out and even the one at the dr's in the waiting area, he has done since about 1. Ikea do lovely wooden toys and generally very cheap, we have a good few bits from there. He's really interested in something with wheels as he keeps sitting on his little bus and tractors which are way too small and will make a bee line for any abandoned scooter/bike/car when we go to the park. Right now he loves his toy farm, stacking boxes and ball more than anything. I'm surprised how interested he is in the animals and putting them in their places. The imaginative play comes on pretty quickly! Although he is in nursery so he does a lot of imaginary and sensory play there. A rocking horse would be of no use to him as he wouldn't sit on it for more than a second but his buddy that's 2 months older would sit in one all day, so its a really individual thing. He still gets great use out of his walker even though he's been walking for 6 months, he loves to push it around and dance to the music. He only has 2 things that make noise/music and he enjoys them both and loves to dance to them, which is super cute! Personally I think the best option is to go by your child's cues and see from there.

pwurple wrote: »

That is super! I'll definitely get her an eco house when she's old enough for a dolls house. I love the solar panels and recycling bins! How cool.

That advice from people about watching her and getting something that would suit her is so right. Every child is different.

I suppose that's what got me looking at rocking horses because she's crazy about bouncing and rocking on my knee.

Maybe when the time gets a bit closer, or when she's walking, I'll take her to some toy shops and see what she likes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement