Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two questions

Options
  • 25-11-2017 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

If I want to rent out one of the bedrooms in my house do I have to register as a landlord ?

I also heard that people letting out property are not allowed discriminate against people on rent allowance and are forced to accept them as a priority? Is that true? If so how can they force me to accept some scruffy beggar with no job to live in my house with me? Excuse the French I know not everyone on rent allowance is a waster. I'm just saying for arguments sake.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I also heard that people letting out property are not allowed discriminate against people on rent allowance and are forced to accept them as a priority? Is that true?

No.

Have a read of this:
    renting out a room that is part of your home is not covered by landlord and tenant law

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/home_owners/rent_a_room_scheme.html

oh and:

Mod Note: less of the sweeping judgments please.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you are renting out rooms in your house, while you are still living there then you will have licensees, not tenants. You can choose whomever you want as a licensee and you do not have to register as a landlord with the RTB. Plus you can also avail of the Rent a Room income tax benefit.

Best thing to do is read the link shared above

Advertisement