Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does your employer care about your mental health or should they.

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

So...how do employers show they care?

There's lots of yes/no but is everyone saying yes/no to the same thing?

Place I am in gives a hotline you can call (well access to an independent one). The main thing I reckon is to enforce the spirit of it to line managers. As has been said a lot depends on your manager but even if you have a good manager if their hands are tied there is frequently not a lot they can do.

Stuff like clear lines to promotion and goals can help as well. Occasional events, 1-1 meetings to voice feedback.

I really think is having resources for the line manager to call on to keep staff apply is the big one. If you end up with a bad line manager there probably Ly is not much the company can do short of changing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭4Ad

The oc health nurse in our company is very good and helps and advises alot.
    Management are understanding..mulinational also.
    There again I am just an operator it might not be so easy for people engineers/ management but I havent heard of an issue in 17 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

The last 2 years or so I had a tough aul time of it. Brought it to my managers attention very early on and he was fantastic, and still is. I've always had decent enough managers but lucky to have him in this regard. I'm not sure about HR or anyone else above my manager, if they care or not. Hard to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

No job cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

No job cares.

Its clever practice for them to suggest that they do though, since some people have the idea that they should. Any good company that can afford to invest in giving that impression will do so, but far from all can afford it and find better returns spending limited funds on other aspects of the business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

No job cares.

The last 5 posters before you were all examples where the company does show that they do care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The last 5 posters before you were all examples where the company does show that they do care.

OK mister smarty pants.
    Couple of jobs may do. Suddenly that applies to all jobs.

Don't be naive. Most companies would outsource things to save money. Leaving you unemployed need be. All about the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Possibly, yes. Have the rates risen with the rise in the prominence of mental health 'issues' ? Its possible that people were happier and had better mental health when they didnt know what 'mental health' was or ruminate on whether they were mentally health or not. Or wondering whether their employer should be concerned about the state of their mental health for them as well.

Ireland's suicide rate has historically been viewed as high so it's not a new thing. Suicides just weren't acknowledged as it affected getting church burial etc. So it's not a new issue and addressing mental health issues is not a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

a guy recently took his own life (I hate the term "Commited Suicide" !!) that worked with us in our "Section" - I was his manager.
    Got a phone call in the evening from the Manager over me, "Did ya hear about **** , he killed himself" ... Ahh jesus... yeh yeh ..... Will you go in early and cover him....

Next day in work, all fairly normal carry on. We had a "coffee morning" (extended tea break) for "Morale" .......
    And that was that ......

You are just a number to the vast majority of employers , and easily replaced.
    My attitude to work has adjusted due to their example. - Work to live, not live to work.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭chrissb8

If you spend most of your lifetime in a place under the employment of someone you deserve to be cared for. We're humans not "cogs in the machine". Employers would do well to remember that. If HR can exist than there should certainly be something in place for employees suffering mentally from work. After all I mean would it not be in a business interest to take on the opinion and thoughts of their employees? Or just carry on with the work is work get on or get out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Its a two way street, yes employers should care about and support those they employ but on the other hand employees should be helping themselves by getting care rest and following correctly whatever course of treatment they are on.

For example if alcohol or drugs make the symptoms worse its reasonable to expect the person to care for themselves and avoid something that make the symptoms worse.

Saying an employer should care but that the employee does not have to make an effort to mind and look after themselves would not be reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

chrissb8 wrote: »
    If you spend most of your lifetime in a place under the employment of someone you deserve to be cared for. We're humans not "cogs in the machine". Employers would do well to remember that. If HR can exist than there should certainly be something in place for employees suffering mentally from work. After all I mean would it not be in a business interest to take on the opinion and thoughts of their employees? Or just carry on with the work is work get on or get out.

That is why they pay you money.

It's a contract - you perform work and your employer pays you for it.

They owe you nothing outside of that, you owe them nothing outside of that.

It's very simple.

If you want a cuddle, get a goldfish.

It's very simple.

I'm repeating myself from this thread here. It's not just about support (and definitely isn't about responisbility on behalf of the company before you go there).

It makes good business sense for a company to have as emotionally content employees as they can. They work harder, are more innovative, project a better image to clients and potential clients, are safer when performing their duties, are more likely to stay in the company, are more likely to speak highly of the company outside of work. There is no downside to it.

Also, you couldn't get a cuddle from a goldfish, their fins aren't long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

I'm repeating myself from this thread here. It's not just about support (and definitely isn't about responisbility on behalf of the company before you go there).

It makes good business sense for a company to have as emotionally content employees as they can. They work harder, are more innovative, project a better image to clients and potential clients, are safer when performing their duties, are more likely to stay in the company, are more likely to speak highly of the company outside of work. There is no downside to it.

Also, you couldn't get a cuddle from a goldfish, their fins aren't long enough.

No real evidence of that. Also, most will leave if there is a better paid job elsewhere. People only pretend to be loyal to employers but will feck off if there is a better offer elsewhere.

You make a good point about the goldfish. Maybe a giraffe would be better (at a stretch)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

It's very simple.

Goldfish are no good for cuddles.

No real evidence of that. Also, most will leave if there is a better paid job elsewhere. People only pretend to be loyal to employers but will feck off if there is a better offer elsewhere.

You make a good point about the goldfish. Maybe a giraffe would be better (at a stretch)
    From Paper wrote:
    Employees in proactive organisations were significantly more committed to their organisations and showed greater job satisfaction than employees in organisations categorised as 'yet to be fully engaged/complier'. Positive safety climate perceptions and organisational attitudes were associated with better self-reported physical and mental health.

Reference
    Haslam, C., O’Hara, J., Kazi, A., Twumasi, R. and Haslam, R. (2016) ‘Proactive occupational safety and health management: Promoting good health and good business’, Safety Science, 81, pp. 99–108. doi: 10.1016/j.ssci.2015.06.010.

This took less than 1 minute to find. Plenty evidence out there.

You may be right on the Giraffe.

Advertisement