Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance problem - policy lapsed with claim 2 years ago, now what?

Options
  • 25-11-2017 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

This is a bit long, but I'll detail as best I can and keep it brief:

Wife's car insurance lapsed last week with Aviva - we forgot as changed address. I happened to notice it 3 days after it lapsed. (I know onus on us...)
    We had a claim on it 2 years ago - no other vehicle involved - and were told if wouldn't affect no claims bonus (NCB).
    We rang to try and renew, but they said because policy lapsed, they wanted us to fill out a proposal form and treat us as a new customer and it will have to go to underwriters.
    Mentioned we were on .5 on the new claims scale?
    Insurance last 2 years was around the €450 mark - new quotes from other companies are coming in around €850 to 1200! presuming because now only 2 years NCB.

Are Aviva just messing us around with these forms? It feels they are.
    As the claim happened this week 3 years ago, I think if we wait until the 1st of Dec, we can apply for quotes and say we've technically had no claims in the past 3 years - is this best thing to do?

It's nuts, as I now cant get short term cover to carry us over until then.

Any advice?

thanks for any input. It's just so much stress when this kind of stuff doesn't go smoothly!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,785 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you can try to get a quote with the full no claims to compare it against first. Most insurance has gone up every year over the last few years, I know nobody getting cover for less than €500. €700 would be average I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

If you can try to get a quote with the full no claims to compare it against first. Most insurance has gone up every year over the last few years, I know nobody getting cover for less than €500. €700 would be average I would think.

thanks.
    No claims with NCB for 5 years is coming in around €570.
    I thought the madness over insurance was creeping down?
    Looks like we'll have to take the pain for the next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,785 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

whiskeyman wrote: »
    thanks.
    No claims with NCB for 5 years is coming in around €570.
    I thought the madness over insurance was creeping down?
    Looks like we'll have to take the pain for the next couple of years.

Mine has gone from a touch over €500 to nearly €800 in 3 years, same car, same driver, no points or claims. It's supposed to be leveling out this year as they are finally actually defending claims against them rather than paying out to anyone who presents with an injury, I will believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

You have a 5 year no claims bonus op, its the same as .5 . So you can base your quotes on a 5 year bonus but just make sure the claim is disclosed and noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭martin gillespie

I had a similar problem with the AA, policy when up 180.00because I was treated as being a new customer , scam if ever there was one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

I had a similar problem with the AA, policy when up 180.00because I was treated as being a new customer , scam if ever there was one

Its not really, you have 30 days to do the renewal if you cant manage to get it done its your own fault. Once it lapses, it lapses. Theres nothing that can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

It's really not. As the OP said the onus is on the client to renew on time. You're given plenty of time and reminders in the run up and if you forget or just don't bother it's on you.

You can't expect your Insurers to disregard the fact that you let your policy lapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

What date was the original claim made? Regardless of NCB affect, a claim always loads the premium so if you can wait until 3 years post claim you may end up with a cheaper premium.

Advertisement