Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone eaten in the Adare Manor since it reopened?

• 25-11-2017 2:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Firstly I’m not posh it the slightest:)
    Myself and my sisters and one of our partners got a present of dinner for 4 at the Manor. Has anyone eaten here since it reopened? So many questions, what to wear, was the food nice, tiny portions, drinks expensive and of course how much to tip. I always try to tip generously but what’s generously in a place like this? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I always just tip 10%. A little more if the waitress is particularly nice. You appear slightly nervous. There are no posh people in Ireland, just pretentious people. I wouldn't let pretentious idiots intimidate me.

Haven't eaten there since it opened but I am guessing it'll be overly rich. Thing I'd be nervous of is the food being crap to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Maz2016

I always just tip 10%. A little more if the waitress is particularly nice. You appear slightly nervous. There are no posh people in Ireland, just pretentious people. I wouldn't let pretentious idiots intimidate me.

Haven't eaten there since it opened but I am guessing it'll be overly rich. Thing I'd be nervous of is the food being crap to be honest.
    Yeah thats true - we were debating whether or not to eat something light before we went :pac::pac::pac:

I don't want to be overly negative. The place is lovely, although I was only there pre-renovation. I saw it on Nationwide recently and they seem to have done an incredible job. Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭gtothek

I was there. The Oak room is fine dining, around €100 per person for a tasting menu & the plates of food are quite small. There is a 2nd restaurant upstairs the long gallery. This is more "normal" food & the price of a main course is between €20 & €35. Drinks are around the same as you'd pay in town except for the wine. The cheapest bottle is around €55 & a glass is €13. Its also only 150ml which is less than a standard glass. The food was lovely.

I felt it was the most relaxed place regarding tipping. We gave 10% for the food & after a couple of drinks we left a small tip in the bar. The staff don't hover around waiting for tips or anything.

Dress as you would going for dinner on a Saturday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Don't worry too much about tipping.. This isn't America, if you get good service leave a few bob, tipping 20 quid on a 200 euro meal the service would have to be amazing...
    I wouldnt plan on having something light to eat before you go either..the portions will be fine (just not big)
    But don't starve yourselves either as you probably won't be eating till 8 or 9..
    . . . Put on your posh gear, make a night of it... And enjoy...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

I remember before the new setup a buddie of mine took his wife out for lunch ..... I asked what he had and he replied a Burger !!! ...... :)

Markcheese wrote: »
    Don't worry too much about tipping.. This isn't America, if you get good service leave a few bob, tipping 20 quid on a 200 euro meal the service would have to be amazing...
    I wouldnt plan on having something light to eat before you go either..the portions will be fine (just not big)
    But don't starve yourselves either as you probably won't be eating till 8 or 9..
    . . . Put on your posh gear, make a night of it... And enjoy...

I totally disagree. Paying 200 for a meal and then not being able to afford 20 euros for a tip just comes across as disrespectful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

Ok this might seem like a stupid question and totally of topic but why are people tipping waitstaff in Ireland?
    Tipping is part of the culture in America because waitstaff are on a different minimum wage scale to everyone else. In Ireland this is not the case as we have the same minimum wage for every job. The wait staff are getting paid at least the same as people who check out your groceries in the supermarket but we don't tip them.
    I know that people feel like they are being mean if they don't tip (and if they don't tip enough), but why? Why don't people feel guilty about not tipping the people in Argos who take all the work out of shopping. Or the people who work in fastfood chains. Or the people who make sandwiches in petrol stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

I totally disagree. Paying 200 for a meal and then not being able to afford 20 euros for a tip just comes across as disrespectful

Do you find it disrespectful that the people who cooked that meal wouldn't see a cent of that €20?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Does anyone feel the urge to tip in macdonalds? Or if they get a coffee in centra? I don't see the point in tipping for poor service (although I often do).
    . . .

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
Advertisement