Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric shower replaced now isolator pull chord jammed

Options
  • 25-11-2017 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi all, hoping for some advice please. Got Triton shower replaced for a newer model Triton as old one had packed in. Used once and now the string pull chord has jammed on off position.

Wondering if coincidence in timing or could it be that the newer model could need a more powerful switch? Would plumber that installed be able to fix or would I need electrician for this? (I'm not DIY capable at all so unsure which pro I would need; plumber or electrician)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Pure coincidence, you will need an electrician to change the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lougarden

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Pure coincidence, you will need an electrician to change the switch.

Thanks so much K.Flyer, will get electrician out. Really appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Lougarden wrote:
    Wondering if coincidence in timing or could it be that the newer model could need a more powerful switch? Would plumber that installed be able to fix or would I need electrician for this? (I'm not DIY capable at all so unsure which pro I would need; plumber or electrician)

The poor tradesmen always suffered from being the last man there. I've had abusive calls because the water in the house became airlocked three weeks after I replaced a shower. Everything worked fine for three weeks yet the airlock was my fault.

You'll find that the pull cord switch is most likely burnt out. Also they aren't designed to be turned on and off several times a day. Your electrician will explain this to you when he replaces it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,460 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wasn't there some calculation done that the cost of powering the neon light if fitted over x years is cheaper than replacing the switch every 7/8 years from being turned on/off?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I think it costs something like 75c per year to power the red bulb. You'll pay 85/100 euro for someone to supply and fit a decent pull cord switch.

Someone did do the calculation on it on the electric thread before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The poor tradesmen always suffered from being the last man there. I've had abusive calls because the water in the house became airlocked three weeks after I replaced a shower. Everything worked fine for three weeks yet the airlock was my fault.
    Yes that`s for sure.
    Your electrician will explain this to you when he replaces it.
    He might, or might not. Some might believe it should be switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

You need registered electrician as already stated bigger issue here is if the plumber completed the electrical work on the shower he broke the law and possibly put you at risk. Did you get a cert when the shower was replaced.

Advertisement