Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scopetronic Vista 5 and Mains feeds.

Options
  • 25-11-2017 3:44pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of help with an old alarm that's fitted in the house here.
    I want to remove it completely for renovation work(Im going wireless) and I have one small issue.
    See the attached pics.The box has 2 mains feeds going to the transformer inside it.
    Can anyone tell me why it has 2 mains feeds?Both of them can be isolated from a trip switch for the downstairs sockets.
    I want to just disconnect everything ie all the wires to the sensors and use these 2 mains feeds for sockets in the renovation.

Thanks

Richie

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi Richie
    The power is feeding onto something else. Possible a light in that press/room or possibly an external light. You will need to determine what that is & whether you want to keep it.
    You could turn off the power remove the alarm box & then leave those 2 mains cables joined & insulated safely in a junction box for now.
    Before you power that system down post up a picture of your external bell box.
    If its as old as that system it may be one that will ring forever when you power down the panel.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

KoolKid wrote: »
    Hi Richie
    The power is feeding onto something else. Possible a light in that press/room or possibly an external light. You will need to determine what that is & whether you want to keep it.
    You could turn off the power remove the alarm box & then leave those 2 mains cables joined & insulated safely in a junction box for now.

Had a feeling thats all it was.If I disconnect both cables and if they both have a live Ill be able to tell what they do.
    Before you power that system down post up a picture of your external bell box.
    If its as old as that system it may be one that will ring forever when you power down the panel.

Never thought of that.Its an ancient system..we`re here 10 years and I was told it was fitted in the 80s.So it could be 30+ years old.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you put up a picture of your bell we can tell you straight away.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Best pic I can get of it.
    How is the external bell powered.Is it 12volt from the panel or would it have it's own power supply??
    I could leave it there and hope that the new system could power it.

Ahh that should be fine to leave there and reuse. It will power down after 12-20 minutes after the panel is powered down.

• Advertisement

Is it powered from the panel??There's an intenal bell that I've disconnected at the panel and that stopped immediately.I could disconnect the external one and let it loose its power before removing the panel.Just in case!!

Yes if you disconnect external bell + it should power down

Advertisement