Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't Decide on New vs. Old

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

my wife and i were looking for a year, never considered a new build until we walked into one in a small development (19 houses), fully red brick and traditional style but timber framed and a2/3 energy rated.

We are in 9 months now and havent regretted it.

i will caveat it by saying we bought an end of terrace with a double size garden with the south westerly aspect, i wouldnt have bought the same house across the road mid terrace with a smaller garden.

We have communal bins (so no bins outside) and you can comfortably fit 2 cars in the drive way with one behind them.

things to consider,

even buying a new build is a lot of work in terms of kitting the place out, changing decoration, flooring, carpets, landscaping outside etc etc,

with a second hand house there is even more as invariable there are things that need to be upgraded, repaired, changed.

Also there may have been important works done and you have no assurance about how did it and to what std etc.

so for me, in the end, a new build won out, as i think todays new builds are far superior in construction terms to anything else out there.

also, if you can afford the 870k house, would you not be better buying the larger 2,000 sq foot house in terenure gate if still available?

Advertisement