Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I love that politically incorrect preacher

• 25-11-2017 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I've seen him a few times now on O' Connell Street, bible in hand. I've heard a few, shall we say, exhilarating expressions of free speech. I wonder what level of aggro he has received.

Next to the pro-choice / anti-life crowd today he was preaching against homosexuality.

Earlier in the week: "Forget Muhammed, forget Allah!"

This guy is a hoot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Another Bible thumper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I'd always be wary of those intolerant Jesus freaks.;)

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The first time I came accross him was Culture night....

There was a street performance of Pigtown along with a kiddies parade...he was shouting over it....I thought it was part of the act...

I was thinking to myself "we really have a f**ked up approach to culture in this city"....then I realised he was for real!!

I'm religious, but not to that level of insanity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

branie2 wrote: »
    I'm religious, but not to that level of insanity

What's your level of insanity so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Is this the guy?

https://youtu.be/x8_LJd8AUM0

He was in Thurles too a few years ago.

https://youtu.be/FsXUuVm_RFM

Sky King wrote: »
    What's your level of insanity so?

I'm actually not insane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'd always be wary of those intolerant Jesus freaks.;)

No truer words spoken...that Jesus lad was fairly intolerant himself.
    Has very little time for the hypocrites and those "religious" types.

I always liked his knowledge and use of the bible though! He was a real bible thumper. He knew how to apply it to his and others lives.

And Shure, He was so politically incorrect that the political and religious classes killed him for it.

But he came back to life again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

But he came back to life again

Bad pennies etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Is this the guy?

https://youtu.be/x8_LJd8AUM0

He was in Thurles too a few years ago.

https://youtu.be/FsXUuVm_RFM

No. Younger than that. In his early twenties.

You see a lot of them in Hyde Park in London

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

You see a lot of them in Hyde Park in London

There is a Speakers Corner in Arthurs Quay Park the first Saturday of every month and the amazing thing, is there has not been one religious zealot at it ever!

I have no issue with the preacher on Cruises St because even though I 100% disagree with what he says, you can retort back to him and have a debate with him. I think Limerick needs more of these spaces where people openly converse and everyone in the community has access to those debates. If that is on a box in Cruises St then so be it.

We have a serious mormon problem in Limerick. They are multiplying and f**king everywhere. The two who stand at the top of Cruises Street are the worst as they literally block your exit to William Street. They now know to avoid me but how long until the next brainwashed pair are imported in from the States. I think they have very sly methods of approaching people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

panda100 wrote: »
    There is a Speakers Corner in Arthurs Quay Park the first Saturday of every month and the amazing thing, is there has not been one religious zealot at it ever!

I have no issue with the preacher on Cruises St because even though I 100% disagree with what he says, you can retort back to him and have a debate with him. I think Limerick needs more of these spaces where people openly converse and everyone in the community has access to those debates. If that is on a box in Cruises St then so be it.

We have a serious mormon problem in Limerick. They are multiplying and f**king everywhere. The two who stand at the top of Cruises Street are the worst as they literally block your exit to William Street. They now know to avoid me but how long until the next brainwashed pair are imported in from the States. I think they have very sly methods of approaching people.

I honestly don't mind the Mormons, if they approach me, and I have time I stop for a chat and tell them that I'm atheist and watch their brains explode as I rationally destroy their arguments. Sets me up nicely for the day, but then again I can be a bit of a prick at times.

The bullhorn weilding, top of their lung preachers do my head in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

panda100 wrote: »

I had those two approach me recently. I'm not usually rude but the same day I'd just had enough. I was upset over something else at the time. Said to them "I'm an atheist" and I got a reply of "Hey hey, that's what we're here for". I told them they were wasting their time and kept walking where upon one of them started following me and spouting nonsense.
    Well if they did, next thing this man in his sixties (who I'd never seen before in my life) appeared pushing a buggy and said "The lady said she's not interested, are ye deaf are ye? Leave her alone. Nothing in your life but religion. Go away and grow up and start living in the real world" Then came after me to see was I okay and told me "Don't be minding them brainwashed eejits love, are you sure you're alright now?"
    I was grand. I obviously looked worse than I was (not because of them) but bless him (pardon the pun) for looking out for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Next to the pro-choice / anti-life crowd today he was preaching against homosexuality.

I suppose you're on the anti-choice repressive side so :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I had those two approach me recently. I'm not usually rude but the same day I'd just had enough. I was upset over something else at the time. Said to them "I'm an atheist" and I got a reply of "Hey hey, that's what we're here for". I told them they were wasting their time and kept walking where upon one of them started following me and spouting nonsense.
    Well if they did, next thing this man in his sixties (who I'd never seen before in my life) appeared pushing a buggy and said "The lady said she's not interested, are ye deaf are ye? Leave her alone. Nothing in your life but religion. Go away and grow up and start living in the real world" Then came after me to see was I okay and told me "Don't be minding them brainwashed eejits love, are you sure you're alright now?"
    I was grand. I obviously looked worse than I was (not because of them) but bless him (pardon the pun) for looking out for me.

Charming fella indeed :rolleyes: doesn't sound at all like the Mormons I've encountered, in my experience they don't follow spouting nonsense like you described, it costs nothing to be respectful of others, your pal sounds like a bit of a bully.

He's probably anti-transgender as well

Charming fella indeed :rolleyes: doesn't sound at all like the Mormons I've encountered, in my experience they don't follow spouting nonsense like you described, it costs nothing to be respectful of others, your pal sounds like a bit of a bully.

My "Pal". Did you miss the bit where I said I'd never seen him before in my life? They may not sounds like any Mormons you've encountered, but this was what I encountered on this particular day. As you point out, it costs nothing to be respectful of others, so why didn't said Mormon respect my answer when I told him I wasn't interested instead of following me and hassling me?

My "Pal". Did you miss the bit where I said I'd never seen him before in my life? They may not sounds like any Mormons you've encountered, but this was what I encountered on this particular day. As you point out, it costs nothing to be respectful of others, so why didn't said Mormon respect my answer when I told him I wasn't interested instead of following me and hassling me?

This hassling doesn’t sound worthy of your pals aggressive behaviour, you weren’t threatened surely? He sounds like a bully to me, those people meant no harm, are you that easily bothered?

• Advertisement

This hassling doesn’t sound worthy of your pals aggressive behaviour, you weren’t threatened surely? He sounds like a bully to me, those people meant no harm, are you that easily bothered?

"My Pal" again. Read my previous reply. No point in replying back to you again because you're obviously not listening :rolleyes:

"My Pal" again. Read my previous reply. No point in replying back to you again because you're obviously not listening :rolleyes:

Isn’t he your pal now???
    Look, you may not have put it as well as you could but it honestly seems very poor form on this guys part to be acting the hero with those young Mormons, they probably want to be there as much as you or me would, they don’t deserve to be treated aggressively like that because they tried to speak to you, they’re not weirdos most likely, they’ve been raised in a way you might find unusual and have odd beliefs but so do most of the world.
    Ask yourself honestly, did they really deserve to be treated like that fella did?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

Ask yourself honestly, did they really deserve to be treated like that fella did?

From reading the OP in this thread, yes they did deserve a stranger to stand up and say back off. They were following a woman who on her own admission looked distraught.
    Was he violent with them? No. Did he use foul language at them? No. Did he threaten them? No.
    What he did was the right thing to do in that situation as interpreted by someone who was being followed by them. He also followed it up with a question as to her well being. He might have been rough around the edges but it seems that he heart was in the right place as opposed to people who were following someone after they clearly told them to stop.
    Just because you're in a nice suit does not make you a nice person.

From reading the OP in this thread, yes they did deserve a stranger to stand up and say back off. They were following a woman who on her own admission looked distraught.
    Was he violent with them? No. Did he use foul language at them? No. Did he threaten them? No.
    What he did was the right thing to do in that situation as interpreted by someone who was being followed by them. He also followed it up with a question as to her well being. He might have been rough around the edges but it seems that he heart was in the right place as opposed to people who were following someone after they clearly told them to stop.
    Just because you're in a nice suit does not make you a nice person.

Wait a minute, she was distraught now? This is an odd turn of events.
    The old lad seemed unnecessarily aggressive, easy to act like that with a couple of young Mormons, sounds like bullying to me but I wasn’t there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

Wait a minute, she was distraught now? This is an odd turn of events.
    The old lad seemed unnecessarily aggressive, easy to act like that with a couple of young Mormons, sounds like bullying to me but I wasn’t there.

Yes, you weren't there and neither was I and I think we were reading two different versions of the event from the same post. I posted the way I interpreted it.
    To me in any situation where people are following someone after they were told by the person they are following they had no interest in talking to them it is harassment. If only more people would stand up to that kind of behavior the world in my opinion would be a better place.

What nonsense were they spouting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brighterdays

The mormons are here it seems...

Yes, you weren't there and neither was I and I think we were reading two different versions of the event from the same post. I posted the way I interpreted it.
    To me in any situation where people are following someone after they were told by the person they are following they had no interest in talking to them it is harassment. If only more people would stand up to that kind of behavior the world in my opinion would be a better place.

Fair enough if you feel that way, if spouting a bit of nonsense was a crime worthy of aggressive behaviour then boards will need to think about its policies.
    The crux for me here is this nonsense they were spouting that upset somebody so much that it led to a hero needing to intervene to protect the local woman from the two (presumedly) foreigners, if they said (for example) she was gonna rot in hell then I completely understand, but I suspect it wasn’t quite as nasty as that. Would rhubarbcrumble give us an example of what it was that caused such offence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

No. The crux is that a woman made it clear she didn't want to talk to him and he followed her and continued trying to force her to engage with him. That's harassment. It doesn't matter if he was spouting religious nonsense, complimenting her shoes or quoting President Bill Pullman's rousing speech from the climax of Independence Day. What he said is immaterial to the fact that he was following her against her express wishes.

He was the bully in that scenario. My experience of Mormons is that they are faultlessly polite. But the experience that poster describes was not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

iguana wrote: »
    No. The crux is that a woman made it clear she didn't want to talk to him and he followed her and continued trying to force her to engage with him. That's harassment.

Harassment :confused: Jesus.

If you leave your house life will happen to you. You may find other people annoying. Get over it..

These threads always turn out the same..

We have source getting a kick out of telling them he's an atheist and watching their "brains explode" with his incredible prowess in reason and logic.. He probably did that to countless people all day :rolleyes:

Then we have RhubarbCrumble telling their story expecting everyone to applaud how they "got one over" on those nasty Mormons and then getting the hump when their story gets picked apart for the fact that it's really just about some bully who can't mind his own business, picking on a couple of harmless young lads..

Yes Mormons are trying to convert you.. that's their MO.. there's a reason they send out those extremely polite, well dressed and inoffensive young lads.. Live and let live.. being an asshole to them just because their mormons doesn't make you a hero, it just makes you an asshole..

Advertisement