Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phonewatch Sensors - Triggered by Roombas?

Options
  • 25-11-2017 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I've got Phonewatch as my house security system, I have two sensors in the house. I remember they guy on the phone said that it would recognise the owners of the house and I think I remember him saying it would recognise your pet and not go off of it sees that. I don't have a pet but I was considering getting a Roomba (robotic vacuum cleaner) to clean my rooms when I'm at work. Does anyone know if this would knock off the sensor? I assume it would but just want to make sure. Not sure if it could recognise what it is or not.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Sounds like you were told an extremely large ammount of horse manure & sales speel. When the system was installed did you send images of all your family & anyone else you have allowed access to to Phonewatch??
    Even after that they are saying the alarm wont activate as the PiR camera recognises these people??
    So the PiR detects movement. Now in the milliseconds before it activates the alarm it consults a facial recognition database & compares the intruder to all the images you did not provide and confirms its not an alarm & then ignores the event & the alarm doesn't activate. Amazing technology for the price of a PiR.
    Not to mention why is this person in your house without turning off the alarm anyway??
    Its no wonder PW are never short of customers.
    The PiR will not recognize your Roomba and decide to ignore it. If will either trigger it or it wont. Good old fashioned trial & error is whats needed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Yup, totally fair point. When it was installed, I raised my issues about having a camera installed, activated or not. It's now set that it will only be used when set to 'away'. But yeah, I agree, I doubt they 'recognise' stuff, it's just what they said, so I felt that they wouldn't straight out lie about something like that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

How do you mean it's only set for cameras to be on when you are out?
    You do know that it's in your contract that PW always have remote access to your system. Other systems require you grant access to your system first. PW make you sign this right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Just off the phone to them. So, pretty embarrassed and am absolutely livid as well. I always considered myself slightly tech savvy but I just didn't question him when he told me what he did, as I didn't in a million years think someone would so blatantly lie about something that could be easily discovered and the seriousness of it.

Back story, I'm renting off my parents but taking care of most things in the house. They got the alarm installed, I wasn't happy about the camera/sensors. I was told that they would be on for the home setting as well (a we didn't have window sensors). I said firstly that I didn't like that at all and secondly how would it work. The base is at the front door, I'd have to walk through two sensors to get to it in the morning. I was told, and I quote, because I made them clarify, that it will recognise the faces and movement of the people living there. I assumed it was like the new Nest Camera which apparently does this and ignores movement like a dog.

I still said I wasn't happy about it being active while home setting is on, but we didn't have any window sensors so they came back out to put window sensors on the window of the living room and 'deactivate' the living room sensor when set to home. I rang them yesterday to clarify what the 'cameras' could do. She was straight to the point, they're just cameras, nothing smart about them. I said again, like I said before that I was very concerned that someone could peep in and I assumed that when the person came out before, that this was addressed. I have no faith in any human not looking, even if they've titled them 'experts', they're just a bunch of lads as far as I'm concerned. I'm ringing them again tomorrow to arrange them to be removed.

I still don't fully understand though. They installed 2 sensors downstairs, kitchen and living room. No window sensors. The initial plan from them was to have the indoor sensors activated on the 'home' setting so we worldly led window sensors. To repeat myself, how would that not activate the alarm when we're walking about the house in the evening time?

PiRs (Motion sensors) can be set not to activate in a home setting. Ie if the alarm is home set no movement in front of those sensors will activate an alarm. Doesn't matter who or what, its off, full stop. However the the device is still powered and connected & as per PW T&Cs (Which you agree to)your system can be accessed remotely by PW at any time without the user having the ability to grant or revoke access.
    To be clear all other systems conforming to EN50131-1 have this facility PW dont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

I have Homewatch and think it is good. Internal sensors only but can be set to cover half the house so you can go to bathroom without setting it off in the night.You know if the camera is on as the red light comes on. Co and CO2 alarm is included ( and they work well). You have to state if firearms on premises and they notify Gardai in the event of a call out. Works for me even if a little expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Dai John wrote: »
    I have Homewatch and think it is good. Internal sensors only but can be set to cover half the house so you can go to bathroom without setting it off in the night.You know if the camera is on as the red light comes on. Co and CO2 alarm is included ( and they work well). You have to state if firearms on premises and they notify Gardai in the event of a call out. Works for me even if a little expensive.

You do know that your alarm won't activate until after the burglar has gained entry to your home. Think about that.
    A properly installed system will protect the perimeter and alert you when the burglar is trying to get in. Big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Just off the phone to them. So, pretty embarrassed and am absolutely livid as well. I always considered myself slightly tech savvy but I just didn't question him when he told me what he did, as I didn't in a million years think someone would so blatantly lie about something that could be easily discovered and the seriousness of it.

Back story, I'm renting off my parents but taking care of most things in the house. They got the alarm installed, I wasn't happy about the camera/sensors. I was told that they would be on for the home setting as well (a we didn't have window sensors). I said firstly that I didn't like that at all and secondly how would it work. The base is at the front door, I'd have to walk through two sensors to get to it in the morning. I was told, and I quote, because I made them clarify, that it will recognise the faces and movement of the people living there. I assumed it was like the new Nest Camera which apparently does this and ignores movement like a dog.

I still said I wasn't happy about it being active while home setting is on, but we didn't have any window sensors so they came back out to put window sensors on the window of the living room and 'deactivate' the living room sensor when set to home. I rang them yesterday to clarify what the 'cameras' could do. She was straight to the point, they're just cameras, nothing smart about them. I said again, like I said before that I was very concerned that someone could peep in and I assumed that when the person came out before, that this was addressed. I have no faith in any human not looking, even if they've titled them 'experts', they're just a bunch of lads as far as I'm concerned. I'm ringing them again tomorrow to arrange them to be removed.

I still don't fully understand though. They installed 2 sensors downstairs, kitchen and living room. No window sensors. The initial plan from them was to have the indoor sensors activated on the 'home' setting so we worldly led window sensors. To repeat myself, how would that not activate the alarm when we're walking about the house in the evening time?

From my own experience with Phonewatch (its here somewhere :) ) I would be surprised if they removed those camera PIR's as I dont think they have any camera free options any more.

From the top to the bottom the stuff they tell you changes from staff member to staff member and they have absolutely no qualms in giving you misleading or completely incorrect information. Of course *disclaimer* this is only in my personal experience. :rolleyes:

Its been a while since I removed their system myself....something they wont allow you do as it has to be one of their own installers if you ever plan on using the equipment (I didnt).......so dont move anything while you are in contract.

My previous phonewatch system (Domonial I think) had two settings 'full set' or 'part set' (Home or away)

You could either alarm the whole property or alarm part of the property. This part setting was downstairs in my case.

If you set that and someone walks in, the alarm goes off and no......the PIR camera didnt have the capability of detecting the owner and I wouldnt have expected it to as its budget equipment.

In your case, I would imagine that your home setting is just your window sensors and your PIR's are not armed at all, but ive no idea what way they set you up.

Their system was not capable to handling multiple zones other than the two offered. If I wanted to have my dog in one room, I had to ring them and have the PIR taken off line completely and call them again to have it put back online. Seriously? Of course I could have done as they instructed and just shove the dog into a room with no PIR.....what a high tech suggestion :rolleyes:

Yeah the system is that poor.

Anyway, hope you get somewhere with them.

word of caution, watch your contract when it comes up to renewal as if you continue your direct debit after that date, you will be told, falsely, that you are locked into a new 12 month contract.

The could rebrand themselves as WatchPhoneWatch :)

Curious as to how you got on getting the cameras removed.Would be interested & curious to see what they replace the cameras with.
    Don't let them fob you off with they are disconnected. Remember under their T & Cs you agree to PW having remote access to your system without you having to grant access first.:eek:

Advertisement