Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in finglas: to buy or not to buy ? And where

Options
  • 25-11-2017 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

I know there may have been threads on this before but looking for updated thoughts.

Thinking of buying in finglas what are the areas to avoid or would persons recommend in the Dublin 11 area. I don't know the area so all advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Basically all of East Finglas (Ballygall and everything around Griffith Drive) is settled and nice, I would have bought there in a heartbeat but couldn't afford to.

I'd urge you to avoid South Finglas, that means everything behind the Clearwater Tesco and across the Street of Tolka Valley Park and everything that goes up to Cappagh Road in the west. That is really rough, with horses, feral kids and bonfires going up regularly.
    There is a halting site before crossing the bridge on Cappagh Road and before that there is the Heathfield development that is supposed to be quite nice, with nice houses and a good sense of community but it's a bit away from amenities.
    I know someone living a bit North of the Garda station and if you're somewhat used to the area it's grand there.

Wherever you buy in Finglas West, do your homework.

Forgot to say around Charlestown is okay too, maybe not with kids because it got a bit rougher there. I looked into that development past Ikea to the west (forgot the name) and that has some spacious houses and is kept quite well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

LirW wrote: »
    Basically all of East Finglas (Ballygall and everything around Griffith Drive) is settled and nice, I would have bought there in a heartbeat but couldn't afford to.

I'd urge you to avoid South Finglas, that means everything behind the Clearwater Tesco and across the Street of Tolka Valley Park and everything that goes up to Cappagh Road in the west. That is really rough, with horses, feral kids and bonfires going up regularly.
    There is a halting site before crossing the bridge on Cappagh Road and before that there is the Heathfield development that is supposed to be quite nice, with nice houses and a good sense of community but it's a bit away from amenities.
    I know someone living a bit North of the Garda station and if you're somewhat used to the area it's grand there.

Wherever you buy in Finglas West, do your homework.

As someone that has lived in Finglas all their life, is class ballygall on a similar shelf as Finglas West. Bikes, horses and bonfires to match.

OP, best to post up specific locations as there are pockets of the west,
    East and south that are good and pockets that I wouldn’t live in myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

What is best way to suss out best and worst areas? Trip to local gaffs station?

mkdon wrote: »
    What is best way to suss out best and worst areas? Trip to local gaffs station?

Ask someone with direct experience.
    If you see a specific address for sale, someone might comment on whether they would live here or not.

I wouldn’t lbuy around cappagh Avenue, berryfield, hazlecroft for example but there many other areas close to those that I’d have no problem living.

• Advertisement

What about Ravenscourt? Just on finglas west but not far fm town centre

mkdon wrote: »
    What about Ravenscourt? Just on finglas west but not far fm town centre

Settled estate behind the police station.
    Don’t hear to much about it. A lot of elderly residents I believe when they were first constructed but that might have changed now. Location wise, I’d have no problem living there but I have never seen the inside so can’t comment on the internal layouts.

No front garden though.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Pretty much anything west of the finglas Road is fairly grim. As someone else said it’s the kind of place with roaming horses, feral kids, joyriding, fires on the green etc. East of Finglas road is grand. It’s pretty much an extension of Glasnevin.

fg1406 wrote: »
    Pretty much anything west of the finglas Road is fairly grim. As someone else said it’s the kind of place with roaming horses, feral kids, joyriding, fires on the green etc. East of Finglas road is grand. It’s pretty much an extension of Glasnevin.

Not really true in my experience. Ballygall and Griffith are far from an extension of Glasnevin.

mixed reports I see.Difficult to decipher any of the replies as of yet... is it really that bad?
    What about Plunkett Green in Finglas

• Advertisement

mixed reports I see.Difficult to decipher any of the replies as of yet... is it really that bad?
    What about Plunkett Green in Finglas

kceire wrote: »
    Not really true in my experience. Ballygall and Griffith are far from an extension of Glasnevin.

It entirely depends on ones background. If you grew up in Sutton you probably won't get happy there.
    My impression of the area, if been around there every day before I moved was that most parts are fine and I would have bought there in a heartbeat. But you see the difference in quality of the area in the prices and how fast everything goes, I've seen some depressing bidding wars going on there.

To answer OPs question: I'd stay clear of that pocket mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

kceire wrote: »

Ballygall is a bit rough around the edges but Griffith, Glasree over to Benevin was ok when I was living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

fg1406 wrote: »
    Ballygall is a bit rough around the edges but Griffith, Glasree over to Benevin was ok when I was living there.

Im in Ballygall 2 years now, and wouldn't consider it rough at all, in fact I would totally consider it as similar to Glasnevin. Settled, professional area. The only thing that goes against it is the 2 pubs aren't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Hibernia93

Estates such as Oakwood, Beneavin,Cedarwood, Clancy, Sycamore, McKee and Grovewood be all fine some would class as Glasnevin North (Bono territory) I live in Oakwood could put on address as Glasnevin North I know some who do but they maybe in denial I wouldn't it's Finglas East. I can't say too much about the rest of Finglas I know North way Estate think that's in the West is fine and very near Charlestown which is grand too from what I've seen of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭dublinstevie

charlestown, melville, seagrave, hampton wood, creston. mayeston are all fine, wouldnt stay on rough side ie cappagh, cardiffbridge road area if the houses were free

Advertisement