Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems after Win 10 update

Options
  • 25-11-2017 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭

Bloody Win 10 update is after messing up my laptop.

It has the screen all stretched looking and Sleep has disappeared from my power options so when I close the lid it shuts laptop off completely.

Have checked all drivers and it says all up to date.

When I recover laptop to an earlier date everything is fine but then Windows updates after an hour or so and everything is messed up again.

Have run AVG, Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner and all come up clear.

Anybody have anything similar happen to them ??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If your graphics card is an ATI card, the solution that worked for me is in the other thread you posted in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Bloody Win 10 update is after messing up my laptop.

It has the screen all stretched looking and Sleep has disappeared from my power options so when I close the lid it shuts laptop off completely.

Have checked all drivers and it says all up to date.

When I recover laptop to an earlier date everything is fine but then Windows updates after an hour or so and everything is messed up again.

Have run AVG, Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner and all come up clear.

Anybody have anything similar happen to them ??

Block the update from installing
    https://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to-uninstall-and-block-updates-and-drivers-on-windows-10/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Cheers guys/gals will try those later when I'm on the laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Thanks again for the help guys/gals, problem was a driver update. Driver updates are on a different list of their own to the usual updates so I hadn't even spotted it. Rolled it back and blocked it from downloading again. Fingers crossed that seems to have done the job. :):)

One feature I would highly recommend is to block Windows Update from downloading drivers. Use the following command:

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

You can undo it by running:

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

• Advertisement
Advertisement