Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second firearm application timescale... will it be quicker?

Options
  • 25-11-2017 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi Folks,

I have had a licence for a rifle for over a year, and I have finally submitted my application for my first shotgun (Silma 12g U/O).

My question is - is a second firearm application usually processed and accepted faster than the first? I have heard from some that's its faster, and others that it can take just as long.

(FYI, I was waiting on my first licence between 3-4 months and it included a call in for an interview with the super.)

Thanks,

Jim.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

So my second license experience is as follows.

I wasn't called in for an interview, but it took just as long as my first license.

Having said that, it depends on the station, the Super and how often he/she schedules firearm application processing.

I'm given to believe renewals are in a different stack and get processed on a different timescale.

But in my station (Mullingar), and in my experience, first time applications and substitutions take between 10 and 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Croohur

I am waiting for my second license at the moment. My first license was granted in 4 weeks, very quickly and smoothly.
    This time it has been 5 weeks and still waiting.
    The first time I was so impatient I gave the FO a call after 4 weeks and she said it was there on her desk and she would send the letter out to me that day.
    The main problem I have is that you don't even know if they have received the application from the local guard you handed it in to. I wish there was a process where they sent you an email or a letter receipt of application so you know they have it and also ab official start date to the process.
    That's my gripe anyway! But also I know I am luckier than many on how long the wait is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

My local guard is a grand fellow , just lazy , usually for a substitution I wait about 4-6 weeks , then call the superintendent office , and it is usually issued in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I received my first licence 3 weeks after submitting the application. My second licence took 3 months (and several phone calls to nudge them on). I think it’s totally dependent on the work load / dedication of the FO and Supers secretary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jim.Creele

alanmc wrote: »
    So my second license experience is as follows.

I wasn't called in for an interview, but it took just as long as my first license.

Having said that, it depends on the station, the Super and how often he/she schedules firearm application processing.

I'm given to believe renewals are in a different stack and get processed on a different timescale.

But in my station (Mullingar), and in my experience, first time applications and substitutions take between 10 and 12 weeks.
    alanmc, I'm also in Mullingar so I'm probably looking at the same timescale.

Also lads, I didn't resubmit land nomination letters with my second application because I had already submitted a few the last time which I assume they still have. I asked the Gaurd that I gave the application to about this, and he said ''Should be grand'' but also said ''Each application is individual and may need new letters, but it depends who is proccessing it''

What do ye think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Jim.Creele wrote: »

Also lads, I didn't resubmit land nomination letters with my second application because I had already submitted a few the last time which I assume they still have. I asked the Gaurd that I gave the application to about this, and he said ''Should be grand'' but also said ''Each application is individual and may need new letters, but it depends who is proccessing it''

What do ye think?

I didn't resubmit permissions with my second application, and they didn't ask for them.

Jim.Creele wrote: »

So far I've done 2 new license applications and a substitution in Mullingar and all of them took between the 10 and 12 weeks.

But it's kinda random. You might just get lucky and the Super will be available to clear that stack of applications.

From talking to the FO, she gets her part done pretty quickly in Mullingar and then it goes into a queue on the Supers desk. It's all about when he schedules time for it. And as I said you might get lucky.

Hope it comes through quick enough for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Hack12

O/U is unrestricted so goes to super rather than Chief. In saying that each district is different. Most of the delays are just plain laziness or bureaucracy in AGS aka the person who does that is off today.......... You can request a receipt of application when you hand in your application (letter) and it states a decision will be made within 3 months...... Make a call to your station and see how the application is going as it is not unknown for applications to be lost, on someones desk etc. Try get a good relationship with your FO and generally things run a lot smoother in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Heavy handed

Last two new licence applications where processed and granted in under 10 working days. One was for my first deer caliber 3 years ago and second for a 270 a few weeks back which was done within 7 working days. I remember back 10 years ago I waited 8 months on a 223

• Registered Users Posts: 13 marleypoint

For my second gun which is a riffle, I personally handed in the paperwork to my local FO on a Sunday morning and got my license approval letter in the post the following Friday. Couldn't believe it either, must be a record. First shotgun I think I had it by 3 weeks. By the way the riffle is a .17hmr

• Advertisement

I gave my FO a call today to ask her about the progress in my application. She said she had never received it from the local Garda I handed it to. So there goes 6 weeks waiting for an cert wasted!

Croohur wrote: »
    I gave my FO a call today to ask her about the progress in my application. She said she had never received it from the local Garda I handed it to. So there goes 6 weeks waiting for an cert wasted!

Are they saying you have to submit a new application? Or did they find it sitting on someone's desk?

alanmc wrote: »
    Are they saying you have to submit a new application? Or did they find it sitting on someone's desk?

When I found out that it wasn't there I asked if I could email a scanned copy that I had made to the FO. They said no problem. I had made a scanned copy as earlier in the year a friend also found out that their application got lost 8 weeks after he handed it in to the local guard.
    So I thought it prudent to keep a copy....

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Hack12

Lesson learnt. Never hand anything to anyone other than the FO. Always scan/photcopy a copy of the documents etc for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Does anyone feel any concern that sensitive information giving your name and address, details of your firearms,etc are LOST ?

Looking at the timescale of delays that most of us experience in firearms renewals/ substitutions/applications etc etc if the persons engaged in processing these worked in the private sector they would be fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mark.223

I've waited anything up to 7 months for a licence to come back..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Very lucky in our garda station got it back in 5 days.

Just threw in a sub for my 223 there weekend before last. Got an email from my FO on Tuesday saying she'd processed it and put it on the system and that it was now on the Super's desk. I guess she was fielding alot of calls about "Where's my frickin license".

Now the clock starts to see how long it spends in the Super's In Tray.

Just got an email from my FO saying my sub was granted and should have my new license next week.

So, a little over 2 weeks.

But I think I just got lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

My first licence took about 9 months 8 years ago. 2nd, 3rd & 4th all took less than 2 weeks from application to grant letter

• Advertisement
Advertisement