Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpet issue

Options
  • 25-11-2017 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi, just after rennovating a house and have bought carpets for bedrooms and dining room. We visited the carpet showroom and picked out colours and styles we like. Sales person then recommended we try a different style of carpet for our living room. They showed us a rectangle of the carpet about 1 x 2 ft. We were happy with the look and feel of it.

Had the carpet fitted the other day while the builders were finishing up, so only got to see when totally down. The finish of the carpet is completely different when it's layed out on the ground in a larger area. I know that you will get patterns in the carpet as it's brushed this way and that, but this is terrible. It's fine when brushed one way, but looks dirty when brushed the other way. This isn't apparent in the sample that we have.

Woman in the carpet shop said that's what we picked and tough basically. Wont even enter into a discussion about it.

Just wondering where we stand. The sample size shown isn't indicative of what the final finish is. if we had of known that it would look like this then we wouldn't have ordered it, and just gone for what we had originally wanted.

It's going to get pulled up and replaced, but want to know if we have a case before I do that.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭californiabear

Have you spoken to the manager/owner of the business or just the sales person?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Bigoldhouse

Have you spoken to the manager/owner of the business or just the sales person?

Won’t return calls and isn’t available when I called around. Think he’s avoiding it.

Won’t return calls and isn’t available when I called around. Think he’s avoiding it.

Sales person is family I think.

First thing I would do is put the issue in writing to them, being very clear about your expectation of what they need to do to make it right, and timeframe for them to reply. Registered post is about €6 and worth the investment.

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/buying-goods/buying-goods/

Clear info here on their obligations/your rights

• Advertisement

First thing I would do is put the issue in writing to them, being very clear about your expectation of what they need to do to make it right, and timeframe for them to reply. Registered post is about €6 and worth the investment.

They're of the opinion we got what we ordered, so aren't entertaining any discussion. Do you reckon our situation would fall under goods being different to what they were described as?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Is the carpet in your house a different carpet to the sample you saw in the shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Sounds like buyer's remorse. Doubt you'll even notice it in 2 weeks.

davo10 wrote: »
    Is the carpet in your house a different carpet to the sample you saw in the shop?

No. The small sample is the same as the one on the floor. But it looks completely different when put out on a large area.

Tenigate wrote: »
    Sounds like buyer's remorse. Doubt you'll even notice it in 2 weeks.

It’s not. The carpet looks fundamentally different to the sample when fitted over a large area.

Looks fine when brushed one way, but horrific when brushed the other. This isn’t apparent in the sample.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rock22

Hi, just after rennovating a house and have bought carpets for bedrooms and dining room. We visited the carpet showroom and picked out colours and styles we like. Sales person then recommended we try a different style of carpet for our living room. They showed us a rectangle of the carpet about 1 x 2 ft. We were happy with the look and feel of it.

Had the carpet fitted the other day while the builders were finishing up, so only got to see when totally down. The finish of the carpet is completely different when it's layed out on the ground in a larger area. I know that you will get patterns in the carpet as it's brushed this way and that, but this is terrible. It's fine when brushed one way, but looks dirty when brushed the other way. This isn't apparent in the sample that we have.

Woman in the carpet shop said that's what we picked and tough basically. Wont even enter into a discussion about it.

Just wondering where we stand. The sample size shown isn't indicative of what the final finish is. if we had of known that it would look like this then we wouldn't have ordered it, and just gone for what we had originally wanted.

It's going to get pulled up and replaced, but want to know if we have a case before I do that.

Thanks

This is essentially a change of mind and you have no right to return.
    You could try to work with the supplier and see about goodwill if you were to purchase a replacement carpet from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,985 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It was your choice op. You got what you asked for.

In future you should really ask to see a larger sample or the roll.

You don't have come back on this other than goodwill.

No. The small sample is the same as the one on the floor. .

So it is the same then? Just there is more of it on your floor.

I do know what you mean though, I've seen this effect on some carpets, when the pile is pushed against the grain, it looks a darker colour, kinda like the strips in a lawn when it's mown in different directions. But the important consideration is, is the carpet in your house the same type/brand as the one you picked in the shop?

davo10 wrote: »
    So it is the same then? Just there is more of it on your floor.

I do know what you mean though, I've seen this effect on some carpets, when the pile is pushed against the grain, it looks a darker colour, kinda like the strips in a lawn when it's mown in different directions. But the important consideration is, is the carpet in your house the same type/brand as the one you picked in the shop?

It's the same product. But exactly what you said, when the grain is pushed it's looks like someone has spilt a bag of flour or concrete onto the floor, but lovely when brush the right way. Even when you walk across it, the pattern of your shoe changes the pile. This wasn't apparent in the square we saw in store. They didn't have a roll there to have a look at a bigger bit.

No goodwill from the shop, will just have to suck it up.

Thanks all for replies.

It's the same product. But exactly what you said, when the grain is pushed it's looks like someone has spilt a bag of flour or concrete onto the floor, but lovely when brush the right way. Even when you walk across it, the pattern of your shoe changes the pile. This wasn't apparent in the square we saw in store. They didn't have a roll there to have a look at a bigger bit.

No goodwill from the shop, will just have to suck it up.

Thanks all for replies.

Very disappointing, I see it from their side in that they supplied what you ordered, but also from your side, the salesperson should really have pointed that effect out to you on the sample. Bad form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

OP there is still nothing to stop you using the Small Claims Court. You may not win but it may be worth the €25 cost (plus your time and effort) as it will apply some pressure to the seller.

You may not have a case but if they don't want to loose the shop still has to reply to the court and turn up on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

Small claims court just to waste the suppliers time? Really?

SteM wrote: »
    Small claims court just to waste the suppliers time? Really?

The supplier has already wasted the customers time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

my3cents wrote: »

No they haven't, they supplied what they were contracted to.

SteM wrote: »
    No they haven't, they supplied what they were contracted to.

The OP didn't get what he expected though.

For all we know this isn't the first time their have been customer complaints about this particular carpet and that the sample was chosen specifically because it didn't show up any of the issues that this customer has experienced. Might even be suspicious that there was no larger sample to be viewed.

Let a judge decide, he can hear the arguments from both sides in person rather than just the OP's side.

• Advertisement

Just how exactly?

For all we know this isn't the first time their have been customer complaints about this particular carpet and that the sample was chosen specifically because it didn't show up any of the issues that this customer has experienced. Might even be suspicious that there was no larger sample to be viewed.

Let a judge decide, he can hear the arguments from both sides in person rather than just the OP's side.

But the op got exactly the carpet/sample he/she picked,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Customer got what he paid for, expectations don’t come into it at all.

Advertisement