Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 gang dimmer/switch recommendations

• 26-11-2017 12:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Looking to replace a traditional 2 gang switch, where one gang is for a 5A lamp circuit and the other gang is a 6x ceiling LED spots circuit. Neutral is available at the switch. Switch opening is approx 65mm x 65mm and 40mm deep. Will be used with a Harmony hub and Amazon Echo setup

I'm aware of the SonOff T1 and have a question in that thread reads typical lead times from itead/SonOff.

What alternatives are also other there? Would the Fibaro/Aeotec modules fit, probably be a tight fit, especially if I wanted two in there as they seem to only drive one circuit.

Is there a 2 gang smart switch out there that has built in dimming capabilities also as would like to make the 6 ceiling LED's dimmable? Aware of the TKB TZ55D which has dimmer for one gang but the other switch is not for another circuit but another remote device.

Also, missus would prefer if it was a mechanical switch also like the TKB's. Not too much to ask is it!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

viperlogic wrote:
    Also, missus would prefer if it was a mechanical switch also like the TKB's. Not too much to ask is it!!

Mechanical switches would be an issue.
    As is dealing with dimming properly.

Fibaro and lightwaverf will have options here.
    Lightwaverf kit looks very well, it's state aware kit is expensive and the range is limited.

It's gen one kit is still expensive but there's is good range. It does not feedback that it is on though, this has never been an issue for me but with IFTTT etc you won't be able to trigger from a light being on
    Lightwaverf has a fantastic IFTTT set if channels though with the ability to trigger scenarios switching multiple devices and channels

Fibaro and lightwaverf have good wired and wireless options

Both have good forums where you'd list the LEDs you want to dim and they will advise.

Only certain LEDs with enough of them on a cct will dim on many smart switches regardless if it's says dimmable on the box or not.

2g is not and issue for Fibaro either and it's state aware offering is better established.

You could have a relamping expense here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Stoner wrote: »

You could have a relamping expense here too.

Just checked my LED's and they are Philips GU10 5W 3000K 36D which are not dimmable. Thanks for the heads up on that

Looks like what i'm after (1x dimmer & 1x switch on same plate) doesn't really exist so will have to get "smart" about it by possibly using a simple double switch, where one will then drive a smart dimmer unit located elsewhere as I have access to the ceiling circuit to add a device to it.

viperlogic wrote:
    Looks like what i'm after (1x dimmer & 1x switch on same plate) doesn't really exist so will have to get "smart" about it by possibly using a simple double switch, where one will then drive a smart dimmer unit located elsewhere as I have access to the ceiling circuit to add a device to it.

Well you can do anything you want if you have the money.

MK grid system will interchange switches, you can have rocker, momentary, dimming all side by side

Regarding the dimming LEDs I was referring to having the right dimmable LEDs, not all dimmable LEDs work on all systems, lightwaverf have a list of supported lamps.

The two gang lightwave switch will have four buttons, on.the non dimming side one will be on and the other off for single press action

On the dimming side hold either down to dim up or down.

Again your set up, write it down pop it on the Fibaro and lightwaverf help forum. You'll get good advice there and if it's wring it helps as they usually take it back then.

To match in with nice accessories systems like Fibaro and even lightwaverf have inline dimming options.

This allows you to use legrand , Delta,. Forbes and Lomax etc in their gird offerings so you can use any switch you want.

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »

The two gang lightwave switch will have four buttons, on.the non dimming side one will be on and the other off for single press action

On the dimming side hold either down to dim up or down.

Ah, I thought that both gangs were dimmers and hence went off and ordered a sonoff T1. Will look again at the lightwave system, but ya, its exp once you take into account their hub also.

viperlogic wrote:
    Ah, I thought that both gangs were dimmers and hence went off and ordered a sonoff T1. Will look again at the lightwave system, but ya, its exp once you take into account their hub also.

They will only dim if the lamp can.

SONOFF T1 you'll get on off control, but the dimming will be fixed on a regular dimmer

Advertisement