Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

House for rent.....No Irish need apply!

• 26-11-2017 1:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

The add has since been removed and relisted using broken English.

Obviously no Irish family will get this no matter what.

Wouldn't we have a different situation if it said Irish only. We'd have it plastered all over the news, the radio etc etc

https://www.daft.ie/meath/houses-for-rent/navan/23ros-nari-navan-meath-1792861

I'm sick of the way this country is going....we may has well have just left it with the Brits. It's ****ed and were just along for the ride.

Ok it's the persons house so going by that if I was a taxi driver I could say Irish only as it's my car but we all know how that would end up

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭Cocobongo

It is a bit unfair, although from what i understand they are only renting a room there, not the actual house, so i guess it’s up to them to choose who they’d like to live with..:) but that’s just my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

My grandad faced those signs when he went to look for work in the US in 1903

He'd be heartbroken to see them now in our own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Who would have thunk that daft would have become the operative word in daft.ie.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I never really wanted to live there anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Took ur gaffs

durrr

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

The cheek of them, they are lucky to be allowed in this country to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

In real terms and minus the faux outrage, they can live with who they want to live with as far as I'm concerned. Being honest, I wouldn't particularly want to live with a Romanian or Moldovan myself. Nothing wrong with feeling that way IMO. It is stupid to openly say No Irish from a legal standpoint though and it's kinda needless since you're realistically in charge of who will get to rent the room anyway. Come on though, ''should have left the country to the Brits'' :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Meh. Makes more sense for him to outright say it in the ad rather than wasting anyone’s time. I bet there’s loads of Irish people who’d never have a foreign tenant but just don’t say it in the ad. I’m sure there’s lots of foreign landlords doing the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭rebel456

It's understandable to want to live with folks of the same language and/or culture as you. But discriminating on your advert is a big no no in this country.

What if I put up on my apartment advert: 'No foreigners, only native Irish plz'.... or worse: 'No travellers plz'. Just think of what the soft left brigade would make of that. I'd be hounded til kingdom come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭Touchee

I am Romanian and would like to apologise for this kind of behaviour.

I would say his English is not great and maybe he/she would find it difficult to have a proper conversation with someone that is a native English speaker.

Not all of us are like this and most of us are grateful for living and working in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Meeoow

BER A3? Not a chance in that house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I once slyly added a 'no dogs' stipulation to an ad.

I' sick of the way this country is going....we may has well have just left it with the Brits. It's ****ed and were just along for the ride.

I'll see your overreaction to an ad and raise you.

When I read it, I wanted to napalm the country and poke out my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I've no problem with this. People are always going to discriminate when it comes to housemates. At least this way no one's time is wasted.

I've no problem with this. People are always going to discriminate when it comes to housemates.

Would they?

I'd say a fair few wouldn't give a damn and would just go on the individual. In my house renting days, it wouldn't have crossed my mind to avoid a person from a particular race or group, or avoid a person of a particular gender, religion or sexuality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I've no problem with this. People are always going to discriminate when it comes to housemates. At least this way no one's time is wasted.

I think the problem here was that it was blatantly stated on the ad and it's illegal to discriminate. It's very easy to discriminate against who you rent to these days, just don't write it or say it. These people didn't have the smarts or didn't know it was illegal to discriminate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Meh. Makes more sense for him to outright say it in the ad rather than wasting anyone’s time. I bet there’s loads of Irish people who’d never have a foreign tenant but just don’t say it in the ad. I’m sure there’s lots of foreign landlords doing the same.

When I took lodgers in my house, I always had a preference for non Irish people and I most certainly didn't want an Irish person from Cork, where the house was. I didn't want their friends and family in my ear and I didn't really want someone moving in longterm. Non Irish people seemed like a better fit. I did, however end up with a couple of Irish people but only ever one at a time.
    I also tried to keep a gender balance in the house so I variously discriminated against both men and women.

But I never, ever put it in the ad because it would just read wrong.
    I had a very happy house for several years with 3 rotating lodgers, 4 of whom ended up at our wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

I think the problem here was that it was blatantly stated on the ad and it's illegal to discriminate. It's very easy to discriminate against who you rent to these days, just don't write it or say it. These people didn't have the smarts or didn't know it was illegal to discriminate.

also had an irish person done this, it would have been all over the media and the usual suspects would be crying about the state of the nation etc..

yet when it is committed against the irish the attitude is that the person pointing this out is upset over nothing

It is illegal.

My personal view is that it shouldn't be illegal and a person with a lease or landlord should be able to discriminate against whoever they like as it is their property they are renting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

I had a very happy house for several years with 3 rotating lodgers, 4 of whom ended up at our wedding.

Rotating lodgers......sounds sore !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

@Kwacker, judging by your anti-foreigner posting history, there isn't a chance in hell that you'd sublet to a Romanian or Moldovan family.

You'd just do your discrimination from the shadows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If it is renting out a room in the family home I'd understand them being selective. I'd have no issues with them not wanting Irish. They were a bit nieve putting it in the ad.

The Irish are a little more clever when we discriminate. We don't put it in ads

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If it is renting out a room in the family home I'd understand them being selective. I'd have no issues with them not wanting Irish. They were a bit nieve putting it in the ad.

I'd have no problem with them wanting to share with Moldovans or Romanians, but singling out the Irish was out of order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Phoebas wrote:
    I'd have no problem with them wanting to share with Moldovans or Romanians, but singling out the Irish was out of order.

It's out of order to put it in the ad. I think they were a bit nieve. If I didn't want to rent to a particular group I wouldn't advertise it. I just wouldn't rent to them.

There's no defending the original ad.

You hear people saying PC has gone mad but PC isn't anything new. I had hair salons and barber shops. In the 80s and early 90's I wasn't allowed to put an ad in the press or Herrald saying Barber wanted. It had to say Barber M /F wanted because they thought Barber had to be a man. What really peed me off was that you paid by the letter. I had to pay for the extra three letters that I didn't even want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Would they?

I'd say a fair few wouldn't give a damn and would just go on the individual. In my house renting days, it wouldn't have crossed my mind to avoid a person from a particular race or group, or avoid a person of a particular gender, religion or sexuality.
    Yes Conor, we all know you're virtuous to a tee.

Yes but what does it actually achieve? It's window dressing. The person who put up that ad will only rent to romanians and moldovans You can control what people put in an ad but you can't control how they think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I wouldn't feel comfortable living with a foreign family if I'm to be honest particularly if their English was bad or if they came from a different culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Cant see where it says sharing the house. Its only two bed, one small single, looks to me they would like to rent it to a family with a child.

Re: the ad. Its outright racism and discrimination, regardless of knowing the law or not. If they've the smarts to buy a house in Ireland to rent out, they've the smarts to know whats racist. No excuse.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Touchee wrote: »

I would say his English is not great and maybe he/she would find it difficult to have a proper conversation with someone that is a native English speaker.

Not all of us are like this and most of us are grateful for living and working in this country.
    You don't need to apologise, that man doesn't represent you or all Romanians. I'm surprised so many people thanked your post though, no way I'm going to apologise for irish idiots abroad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

The ad is stupid, and possibly/probably not legal.
    That's the thing about discrimination - you can only do it if you're subtle enough about it. There's no problem with not wanting to let to foreigners/students/enter group of choice here, but you can't go out saying it.
    It amazes me that the ads that say "women only" are actually considered to be ok, they shouldn't be.

And I'm saying that as someone who's been at the receiving end of discrimination when it comes to housing. When I was a student, I was trying to rent a place through an agency and the landlord really sent me round the houses for references, bank statements, letters, etc., only to eventually say to my face the one time I met him that he didn't think a student could come up with all of that. I did, and he still refused me as a tenant.
    And again as a foreigner trying to rent in Ireland... it was never said, but sometimes quite obvious nevertheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Phoebas wrote: »
    @Kwacker, judging by your anti-foreigner posting history, there isn't a chance in hell that you'd sublet to a Romanian or Moldovan family.

You obviously didn't read my entire post before searching my previous posts.

I said that they have a right to select who they want however putting that text in an ad is racist simple as that.

I have no issie with foreigners....I have good foreign friends.

What I don't like is foreigners being racist and thinking it's ok but when an Irish person is racist the same racist foreigner screams victim!!

But that's ireland, we can't be racist but we can be on the receiving end of racism and that's deemed acceptable.

The simple fact it that add is illegal and I'd question their reason for being here if they don't like the Irish.

So why are they here? Why don't they live in Romania or Moldova of they like the people so much? Are they here for the spectacular views, the best Guinness, the craic, the warming welcome the Irish give or is it because we have the worlds most generous social welfare system open to all of EU??

Either way don't care what nationality, race or religion you are, whether you work or milk our social welfare, under no circumstances will I accept "No Irish" signs in my country, if you don't like the Irish then we have many many airports and ferry terminals for you to exit by.

We let these people on here when we don't have to as we have a right to who we let in, well we should have but our shower in suits couldn't care less.

It's not racism, it's patriotism

Poland advised the world it will not let certain immigrants in, I don't see people going mental over that, it's their country and their right to protect it

• Advertisement

Ah yeah he was the fella who said Halawa and Varadkar should be killed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I know someone who bought there years ago as their first home. They said it was fine originally, lots of young families, but same as some other places, once the boom happened, people moved out of their starter homes but rented them out. they moved out themselves as they did it want to stay in an area populated by renters (health board at the time) and it is known for a lot of non Irish living there. That was a few years ago so I'm not fully sure if it's still the same. i can't see a queue of Irish ppl wanting the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Shenshen wrote: »

And I'm saying that as someone who's been at the receiving end of discrimination when it comes to housing. When I was a student, I was trying to rent a place through an agency and the landlord really dent me round the houses for references, bank statements, letters, etc., only to eventually say to my face the one time I met him that he didn't think a student could come up with all of that. I did, and he still refused me as a tenant.
    And again as a foreigner trying to rent in Ireland... it was never said, but sometimes quite obvious nevertheless.

I got this too. Agency kept asking me about rent supplement and social welfare. Told them multiple times I work full time, no social. Gave my pay slips. Then he got back to me looking for bank statements. Asked why and was told "they just dont see how a single parent can afford the rent on one wage and are worried you'll ask for rent allowance". I'm working full time, that's how. I also can't get rent supplement because I'm working full time.

Landlord went with a couple. And in fairness I don't blame them, two incomes are obviously better than one but if someone has the money and can prove they have the money (payslips/bank statements) then that should put an end to it. If you really doubt that they can pay then just say no straight out because obviously no amount of proof will assuage that fear and it's wasting everyones time.

In the case of the ad,I don't have an issue with people choosing who they want/don't want to live with, but putting it in the ad was silly. As others have said, it happens anyway. At least with putting it in the ad it cuts out time wasting,but as it is illegal it was silly to do so.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Took ur gaffs

durrr

I think you'd be looking at it very differently if someone Irish put up an ad saying no foreigners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Don't worry comrades, me and my vigilante buddies are paying the house a visit tomorrow night, it certainly won't be BER A3 when we are finished...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

anewme wrote: »
    I know someone who bought there years ago as their first home. They said it was fine originally, lots of young families, but same as some other places, once the boom happened, people moved out of their starter homes but rented them out. they moved out themselves as they did it want to stay in an area populated by renters (health board at the time) and it is known for a lot of non Irish living there. That was a few years ago so I'm not fully sure if it's still the same. i can't see a queue of Irish ppl wanting the room.

Truth of the matter is I wouldn't put an animal in Navan.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Happens all the time, no big shock here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Ah yeah he was the fella who said Halawa and Varadkar should be killed

Shot...not killed and why are you dragging up posts on a different subject??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

You're not doing yourself any favours by reaffirming it. At what stage should people start taking your threat to shoot/kill the Taoiseach seriously? How far along is your planning on this?

You only wanted them shot, but not killed.
    Well, that changes things completely. You're practically a humanitarian. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

Nothing wrong with it. At least it saves house hunters time .rather than pretending to let them have a chance and picking a particular nationally anyway... which imo is happening with alot of rental adverts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

If they only want Romanians and Moldovans, why is the advert in English?

Saying 'no Irish' in the English language makes no sense.

Could be a wind-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Yeah, it was stupid for them to put it in the ad, but it's likely that they're going to discriminate regardless so I'm not sure what good outrage is.

The listing is taken down now so I can't see it, just the screenshot in the OP. If they were renting out the entire gaff, it was even stupider to say no Irish, likely illegal and basically downright racist. However, if it's a shared room in a home, I think it's slightly different. You still can't say it obviously and certainly not in an ad, but I think you have more right to discriminate when you're going to be living with the person. When I was a student loads of rooms in shared properties were advertised as male only or female only. Yes, also discrimination but it saved me time turning up at the wrong properties. Now, you'll see plenty of places asking for "young professionals only", and I was turned down for a few places because they only wanted to rent to a family. So, blanket bans on no Irish or no men or no foreigners are still stupid, because you can't judge everyone in those groups on some bad interactions you had in the past, but it's certainly more understandable when it's a person you'll be living with imo. Generally people just wait until the interview stage and decide then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

What are you apologising for? You didn't place the ad :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭Touchee

buckwheat wrote: »
    What are you apologising for? You didn't place the ad :confused:

It will probably sound silly, but I do get embarrased from time to time.
    I just wish there was something good to say about Romanians:)

Nothing to be embarrassed about, you should read about some of the crap Irish people get up to in America or Australia, I'll be ****ed if I let any knuckledragger bother me over it.

I've only met a handful of romanians, no better or worse than anyone else, but I would say that there does seem to be an awful lot of very beautiful Romanian girls

You only wanted them shot, but not killed.
    Well, that changes things completely. You're practically a humanitarian. :D

Just a knee-capping I guess, no harm really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Their rugby team has improved.
    That's something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This reminds me of that scene in Blazing Saddles:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Bunch of thieving begging bastards. The real question is what kinda scam you trying to scheme here? Ah pretending to be a Romania Prince gonna try get us to send you money on PayPal or send an xbox.

Now to sit back and let my potato headed, mick fook, brethren drunkenly apologise on my behalf.

P.s And don't feel bad. If you are a genuine good Romanian. It just makes you literally one in a million or 19. So you can feel extra special :D soz I had to :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Yes, we filter out the people with pets/single mums/poories/families/people who aren't "professionals"....whatever that means, as part of the selection process.

• Advertisement
Advertisement