Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

House for rent.....No Irish need apply!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The house owner will most likely get their comeuppance like your one did in the film Single White Female.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

The add has since been removed and relisted using broken English.

Obviously no Irish family will get this no matter what.

Wouldn't we have a different situation if it said Irish only. We'd have it plastered all over the news, the radio etc etc

https://www.daft.ie/meath/houses-for-rent/navan/23ros-nari-navan-meath-1792861

I'm sick of the way this country is going....we may has well have just left it with the Brits. It's ****ed and were just along for the ride.

Ok it's the persons house so going by that if I was a taxi driver I could say Irish only as it's my car but we all know how that would end up

Yeah, because the part that WAS left to the Brits never experienced any kind of bigotry or discrimination.

When I took lodgers in my house, I always had a preference for non Irish people and I most certainly didn't want an Irish person from Cork, where the house was. I didn't want their friends and family in my ear and I didn't really want someone moving in longterm. Non Irish people seemed like a better fit. I did, however end up with a couple of Irish people but only ever one at a time.
    I also tried to keep a gender balance in the house so I variously discriminated against both men and women.

But I never, ever put it in the ad because it would just read wrong.
    I had a very happy house for several years with 3 rotating lodgers, 4 of whom ended up at our wedding.

Does not compute.

arayess wrote: »
    also had an irish person done this, it would have been all over the media and the usual suspects would be crying about the state of the nation etc..

yet when it is committed against the irish the attitude is that the person pointing this out is upset over nothing

It is illegal.

My personal view is that it shouldn't be illegal and a person with a lease or landlord should be able to discriminate against whoever they like as it is their property they are renting

I don't know how I feel about this. While discrimination is illegal we see it all the time in rental accommodation. Plenty of ads discriminate based on gender with "female only" tenant wanted ads.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's out of order to put it in the ad. I think they were a bit nieve. If I didn't want to rent to a particular group I wouldn't advertise it. I just wouldn't rent to them.

There's no defending the original ad.

You hear people saying PC has gone mad but PC isn't anything new. I had hair salons and barber shops. In the 80s and early 90's I wasn't allowed to put an ad in the press or Herrald saying Barber wanted. It had to say Barber M /F wanted because they thought Barber had to be a man. What really peed me off was that you paid by the letter. I had to pay for the extra three letters that I didn't even want.

I guess they just didn't want to go the through the process of screening and rejecting the dozens of Irish who would show up to view the property.

You obviously didn't read my entire post before searching my previous posts.

I said that they have a right to select who they want however putting that text in an ad is racist simple as that.

I have no issie with foreigners....I have good foreign friends.

What I don't like is foreigners being racist and thinking it's ok but when an Irish person is racist the same racist foreigner screams victim!!

But that's ireland, we can't be racist but we can be on the receiving end of racism and that's deemed acceptable.

The simple fact it that add is illegal and I'd question their reason for being here if they don't like the Irish.

So why are they here? Why don't they live in Romania or Moldova of they like the people so much? Are they here for the spectacular views, the best Guinness, the craic, the warming welcome the Irish give or is it because we have the worlds most generous social welfare system open to all of EU??

Either way don't care what nationality, race or religion you are, whether you work or milk our social welfare, under no circumstances will I accept "No Irish" signs in my country, if you don't like the Irish then we have many many airports and ferry terminals for you to exit by.

We let these people on here when we don't have to as we have a right to who we let in, well we should have but our shower in suits couldn't care less.

It's not racism, it's patriotism

Poland advised the world it will not let certain immigrants in, I don't see people going mental over that, it's their country and their right to protect it

Dude, it's their right to live in Ireland or any other EU country. Why? Because they are EU citizens. If you don't like it, then start your own Irexit campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Chrongen wrote: »
    I guess they just didn't want to go the through the process of screening and rejecting the dozens of Irish who would show up to view the property.

What about the the Polish? The Africans? There are always plenty of other foreign nationals looking for somewhere to rent.
    If they had just said they were looking for a Romanian or Moldovan family and left it at that then that’s fair enough.
    It’s the specifically ‘no Irish’ part that people are bothered by.

What about the the Polish? The Africans? There are always plenty of other foreign nationals looking for somewhere to rent.
    If they had just said they were looking for a Romanian or Moldovan family and left it at that then that’s fair enough.
    It’s the specifically ‘no Irish’ part that people are bothered by.

That's a good point I suppose. If they wanted their own countryfolk they should have simply put "romanians preferred" or something like that in the ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Chrongen wrote: »
    Does not compute.

Try harder.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Why is this so shocking. I have seen adverts in Toronto where it said only Irish room mates wanted. Infact one girl i knew wouldnt let her friend leave the house till she found a Irish room mate to replace her

Advertisement