Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 phase to single phase

Options
  • 26-11-2017 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hey girlfriend is wanting to buy a Sunbed but when I looked it up it's on 3 phase electricity. I would need to get it changed to single phase right ? In order to use it in a normal plug in the house?
    Can this be done easily ? Or will it cost a fortune? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

That has bad news written all over it.

Chuck it in the skip and buy your girlfriend a bottle of fake tan. Sun beds are bad news and skin cancer is one of the most common forms of cancer in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    That has bad news written all over it.

Chuck it in the skip and buy your girlfriend a bottle of fake tan. Sun beds are bad news and skin cancer is one of the most common forms of cancer in Ireland.

Uses one in a local business so unfortunately having one here or not isn't going to stop her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Uses one in a local business so unfortunately having one here or not isn't going to stop her.

I'd say it's a non runner to be honest I hope you didn't pay to much for it. I would imagine there are no 3 phase motors in it but all the wiring is presumably spread across 3 phases with wiring and electronics to suit.

one thing is it would be expensive to run and secondly I'm not sure I'd want to lie down in something that has been basically bodged together to make it work. I can already see the news paper headlines. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Hey girlfriend is wanting to buy a Sunbed but when I looked it up it's on 3 phase electricity. I would need to get it changed to single phase right ? In order to use it in a normal plug in the house?
    Can this be done easily ? Or will it cost a fortune? Thanks.

Might be easy

Can you paste in a link to it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

What's its power rating? One of the reasons equipment is made three phase is because it draws more power than can be drawn from a single phase supply. Essentially she's looking at a piece of industrial / commercial equipment which is not designed with home installation in mind.

You could use a single to three phase converter like these e.g. https://www.simplypowersupply.com/Single-to-3-Phase-Converter/default.aspx but it's hardly going to make ecenomic sense.

If the sunbed has a significant electrical load you would also have to consider the effect it would have on the maximum import capacity of your electricical supply - usually 15kVA for a domestic supply according to post #7 in this thread https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056834728/1

I hope she is still only looking as I'd say it's a non runner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

You really need to post the model number.

But a quick google and I see commercial beds are rated at about 9500W.

Not something you can just plug in even if it was single phase

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

What's its power rating? One of the reasons equipment is made three phase is because it draws more power than can be drawn from a single phase supply.

This is essentially it a nutshell. Loads over a certain size are 3 phase. If connected to a single phase there is a high risk of blowing the circuit fuse / tripping the MCB, in fact in some cases it is a certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭cml387

Interestingly enough, one stand-up tanning booth I see advertised is rated at
    24kW. 24000 watts.

It is of course three phase.

Who would have guessed, and that power is being directed at your skin.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Mod note: This is an electrical forum, please post accordingly. This isn't after hours!

Thank you

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You could use a single to three phase converter like these e.g. https://www.simplypowersupply.com/Single-to-3-Phase-Converter/default.aspx but it's hardly going to make ecenomic sense.

Most likely the sunbed will simply be too large a load for a domestic installation. So a single phase to three phase inverter unit will not work as the supply will simply not have sufficient capacity.

A 10kW load is pretty much the limit for single phase, even that is pushing it and is only possible if there are not large connected loads there already (like a hob or instantaneous shower).

• Advertisement
Advertisement