Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best new mtb around €500

Options
  • 26-11-2017 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭

Morning lads, the 14 year old wants a mtb for Xmas. Hardtail and has to be new. If it were me I'd go second hand but the missus won't have a bar of it unfortunately.
    What's the best value bikes out their at the moment? Doesn't have to be the 2018 models and would preferably need to be available in a shop in Dublin or surrounding areas.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Not in a B&M store but a lot better than most around the price point.

https://www.merlincycles.com/diamondback-myers-10-mountain-bike-2017-105260.html

31896_diamondback_myers_1_0_mountain_bike_2017.jpg

Some of the Halfords ones aren't entirely terrible either depending on how off road he plans on going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I like it! Is that really half price? Or is it homestore & more half price? In other words is it really worth €958 full price? If it is ill order now.

And he won't be really going off road, St. Anne's Park is as off road as he will go!

iamtony wrote: »
    I like it! Is that really half price? Or is it homestore & more half price? In other words is it really worth €958 full price? If it is ill order now.

It's a bit of both but to be fair RRP is always fictional and most places will be selling off 2017 stock but I could see it selling for €800 normally. The fork alone is worth around €300 and with 140mm travel it'll be well able for ticknock etc. Diamond back do tend to be under rated but they're more than capable bikes. I can't see you getting much better for the money but you may want to check the sizing on it.

I'd hang on a bit for some other opinions before pulling the trigger but it looks the part and that's all that would matter to most young lads it just so happens this can play the part also. As you know yourself much better value second hand but a kid wont have that ;)

Actually on review race face cockpit - tubeless ready wheels - Nobby noc tyres!! It's well worth the money I'd almost buy it myself. The brakes look to be the weak point but they're hydraulic so probably not terrible and something most lads would upgrade from stock at some stage anyway.

• Advertisement

Great stuff thanks for all the info. It only seems to be available with the 15" frame which I'm concerned could be a bit small. He is about 5"8 and I'm nearly sure the missus said his leg length was 32" it say that frame is suitable up to 30" leg.
    I'll have to ask the missus to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

What size is the young lad?

I know you said you wouldn't look second hand but just for info I picked up a 2016 Voodoo Bizango 29er last year and literally got out on it 3 or 4 times on local roads before stashing it in the livingroom, so it's dusty (easily solved) but genuinely mint.

Be under your budget too. Size 18"

MojoMaker wrote: »

I know you said you wouldn't look second hand but just for info I picked up a 2016 Voodoo Bizango 29er last year and literally got out on it 3 or 4 times on local roads before stashing it in the livingroom, so it's dusty (easily solved) but genuinely mint.

funny you mention that bike that was one he was looking at in Halfords but looking on their site they only have it in the largest frame size. He is about 5’8”. Is yours yellow? Pm me if you want I might be interested in that...

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭depadz

How about one of these? I don't know anything about MTB but good brand.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/fuji-nevada-1-9-29-hardtail-bike-2016/rp-prod162062

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

That Fuji looks melodian

• Advertisement

Borderfox wrote: »
    That Fuji looks melodian

When you look at it and the Diamondback side by side it's night and day but most folks wouldn't really know what they're looking at to be fair. Yes though everything on it is pretty much bottom end.

For one OP get something with hydraulic brakes and no need for a 3x.

It's very easy to end up with something that'll weigh a ton and handle worse than a road bike on some trails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭JonDoe

The Diamondback is good for the money, if the young lad is 5'8" with an inside leg of 32", It's a trail bike the effective top tube is 22.5" , trail bikes tend not to be as long as a cross country in effective top tube as you want to be able to move your body out over the back wheel easily. I'm 5'10", ride cross country with effective top tube of 23.5". I'd go with the 15" if too small start with longer stem and a layback seatpost and wider bars, if he has a growth spurt, ditch the frame and use the parts as donors in a year or so, just buy him a toolkit for his birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Buy him something that fits. It's easy to get bogged down but with a budget of 500 try something like this:

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=114189

He can upgrade as he goes.

When I started mountain biking it was a very heavy Raleigh rigid mountain bike with the worst brakes but you know what I had fun and learned to ride the trials just like he will and the bike didn't break down all the time.

The correct size is the most important part, nothing else! Don't buy a bike and think changing parts will make it suit as it will cost more in the long run.

Yeah I know a bit about bikes and their components. And to my stupidity so now does my son. He will turn his nose up at the cable operated disc brakes and tourney components of the Fuji. Although for the type of use it will get would be perfectly fine. I would of bought the Diamondback yesterday but unfortunately it was only available in the smallest frame size and he is not getting any smaller, sick about it actually.
    The Voodoo above was the bike I was gona get him but u fortunately they only seem to be available in the largest frame size now and because it's an older model I'm guessing they are not going to be restocking them.

JonDoe wrote: »
    The Diamondback is good for the money, if the young lad is 5'8" with an inside leg of 32", It's a trail bike the effective top tube is 22.5" , trail bikes tend not to be as long as a cross country in effective top tube as you want to be able to move your body out over the back wheel easily. I'm 5'10", ride cross country with effective top tube of 23.5". I'd go with the 15" if too small start with longer stem and a layback seatpost and wider bars, if he has a growth spurt, ditch the frame and use the parts as donors in a year or so, just buy him a toolkit for his birthday.
    That's what I was hoping someone would say! You dont think it will be rediculously small looking or anything?
    This bike is definitely the one I would like to get. You know when your car shopping and you spot a car but keep on looking but you know it's the one your gona get. Well I got that feeling when I seen the Diamondback, even though it's not for me!

Damn it coming up as out of stock now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Damn it coming up as out of stock now:(

The diamondback myers 2.0 is still available in 15" for €564 plus postage, upgraded to Sram x7 components.

https://www.merlincycles.com/diamondback-myers-20-mountain-bike-2017-105262.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

MojoMaker wrote: »

How much you looking for, for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LagunaSeca

Yeah I know a bit about bikes and their components. And to my stupidity so now does my son. He will turn his nose up at the cable operated disc brakes and tourney components of the Fuji. Although for the type of use it will get would be perfectly fine. I would of bought the Diamondback yesterday but unfortunately it was only available in the smallest frame size and he is not getting any smaller, sick about it actually.
    The Voodoo above was the bike I was gona get him but u fortunately they only seem to be available in the largest frame size now and because it's an older model I'm guessing they are not going to be restocking them.

New Voodoo's with 1x drivetrains are on the way and should be a good option to consider. UK shops have them already so your local Halfords should be able to advise on availability.

My own bike dropped half a kilo in weight after I ditched the triple ring chainset and put a single ring on the front.

Advertisement