Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing with ras

Options
  • 26-11-2017 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi I've been renting a house with the council under the ras scheme I'm here 5 years and took the house as I was so desperate and was homeless more or less I have absolutely hated the house since day one it was old damp and filthy it's 2 beds with my son who is 18 now the bathroom is only accessible through my bedroom so any visitor has to come to my room to use toilet..the house is so small no back garden or windows at back either it's an extremely odd layout house..since I've moved in the landlord won't update anything in house everything is old and out of date like from the 80s floors are awful I've tried do what I can with the house but I'm wasting my time it's just to much work needed also have had noting but problems with things not working he does fix broken things like washing machine etc but won't update anything it's so bad I cry going home to it and it has storage heating that's all broke and I can't afford anyway are my being selfish asking to be rehomed or being ungrateful I really hate the house

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Have you spoken to the council at all? I was in a similar position a year ago.

The RAS house i was in had issues with damp, heating, dodgy wiring, front and back doors didn't lock properly.

Landlord didn't want to make repairs so i went to the council. They sent out their inspector who made a report and drew up a list of works to be carried out. Landlord dragged his feet so i kept onto the council. Took just under a year but i was rehoused in another RAS house.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pollly7937

Hi yes an environmental officer is calling they said but I don't hold out much hope as I've rent arrears I suffer with very bad depression and was hospitalused and was not paying bills etc I pay back every week now for 2 years but am still far behind on what I owe
    Owryan wrote: »
    Have you spoken to the council at all? I was in a similar position a year ago.

The RAS house i was in had issues with damp, heating, dodgy wiring, front and back doors didn't lock properly.

Landlord didn't want to make repairs so i went to the council. They sent out their inspector who made a report and drew up a list of works to be carried out. Landlord dragged his feet so i kept onto the council. Took just under a year but i was rehoused in another RAS house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Pollly7937 wrote: »
    Hi yes an environmental officer is calling they said but I don't hold out much hope as I've rent arrears I suffer with very bad depression and was hospitalused and was not paying bills etc I pay back every week now for 2 years but am still far behind on what I owe

Arrears might complicate matters but an inspection will still list out any work that needs to be done. It will be up to the council to talk to the landlord about getting it carried out.

Tbh sounds like some of the problems are not something that can be addressed so you might need to push for a move

Advertisement