Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurospar passage west

Options
  • 26-11-2017 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Anyone know what coming to the old eurospar in passage west?

i see one of the units says "pharmacy opening"

What amazes me is how the pharmacy know who to approach for
    these units when nobody including TD's know who's going in?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Thought lidl or aldi were going in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,441 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

ofcork wrote: »
    Thought lidl or aldi were going in there.

Heard it was Aldi as they couldn't get planning in Carrigaline.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 johncmurphy

Aldi have lodged a planning application in the last week. Moving the entrance to the end of the current shop and a few other changes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Would that site not be too small for an Aldi? Or work on enlarging the building would be needed, it used to be Jerry Collins Skoda years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Would that site not be too small for an Aldi? Or work on enlarging the building would be needed, it used to be Jerry Collins Skoda years ago.

but the Eurospar building was an addition to the older Jerry Collins building.

• Advertisement

but the Eurospar building was an addition to the older Jerry Collins building.

Yeah, they’ll need to add to it again by the looks of it.

When did JC shut up shop?

Yeah, they’ll need to add to it again by the looks of it.

When did JC shut up shop?

I'd say he closed up about 10 years ago now I think. Cllr Marcia D'Alton has published the planning details on her Facebook feed which gives summary information on the planning intended.

I'd say he closed up about 10 years ago now I think. Cllr Marcia D'Alton has published the planning details on her Facebook feed which gives summary information on the planning intended.

Just looked at them,next April/May appears to be an opening date. Will be interesting to see how this one plays out with the space available.

Does anyone know the opinions of John Daly? I thought he might have had some reservations given that proximity of it to the soccer club if it were to impact on them during construction as i assume the existing building would at least require an extension or else demolition and start from the ground up?

Last i heard he was still heavily involved there.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cold case

Just heard there is a delay in the Aldi development, someone objected to the planning! Everyone was looking forward to the new Aldi

cold case wrote: »
    Just heard there is a delay in the Aldi development, someone objected to the planning! Everyone was looking forward to the new Aldi

it just means the planning decision will be delayed (pushed out to August). Word is that someone from Rochestown objected. Locals are gutted but observations are being submitted to the planning authorities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I hadn't heard that, must be hot off the press as the planning website isn't showing any objections. Crying shame as the its badly needed

I hadn't heard that, must be hot off the press as the planning website isn't showing any objections. Crying shame as the its badly needed

the objection came in on the last day, all very sneaky really. There will be a torch yielding mob from Passage West hitting Rochestown soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

the objection came in on the last day, all very sneaky really. There will be a torch yielding mob from Passage West hitting Rochestown soon :D

Would it happen to be a shop owner in Rochestown who objected? Maybe revenge for all those Passage inhabitants who drive off without paying for petrol forcing everyone to pre-pay now :-)

Surely it will get permission though. It was a shop ffs so just give permission to be a badly needed and slightly altered shop and move on.

Ludo wrote: »
    Would it happen to be a shop owner in Rochestown who objected? Maybe revenge for all those Passage inhabitants who drive off without paying for petrol forcing everyone to pre-pay now :-)

Surely it will get permission though. It was a shop ffs so just give permission to be a badly needed and slightly altered shop and move on.

:D
    Yes, there are suspicions over the origin of the objection. Out of protest I'm not picking that station to fill up and drive away from unpaid ever again and others should do likewise ;)

yeah well the works on the premises are still ongoing so I'd say things are positive but will just take a little longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Just got a message from some living in Passage about who the objector is. Very very silly person. His address being passed around on Facebook an all as it is publicly available. Why bother in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

What a joke :mad:

The good people of Passage West are crying out for a supermarket and someone whos not in the parish objects to its development.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 johncmurphy

Just read the objections and it’s crazy. He is worried about the traffic and how a supermarket will affect businesses in the town like the mace bookies restaurants and green grocers (all of which are closed years )

Agreed! This person does not know the town of Passage West at all!

The whole appeal has so many arguable points, I don't know where to start! Eurospar made no difference to the businesses in the town, and since Eurospar closed, over a year ago, that made no difference to the town centre businesses either. The town centre has plenty going on to keep it healthy, eg the Post Office, Credit Union, local GPs, Dentist, Library, Off-licence, Barbers, Hairdressers, Solicitors, convenience store, newsagent, excellent Pharmacy, and excellent local Butcher! None of these businesses will suffer if there is an Aldi a mile up the road!

As for traffic problems, at present we have to drive to congested Douglas, or congested Carrigaline, to do main shopping. Also the proposed Aldi will be within walking distance to many in the area, as they walked to Eurospar in the past!

This Rochestown resident should worry more about the traffic congestion in Douglas, which is closer to his residence!

Nail firmly on the head cold case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

No suspicions.. the details of the appeal naming the objector is available on Marcia dalton.net

• Advertisement

Yes, the whole objection, including the name and address of the objector is online.

If you read through the objection, you find that his arguments against the Aldi supermarket are pretty futile and irrelevant, because there is already a supermarket there. Also, some of the local businesses in the town that he is so concerned about, are no longer there; he obviously took a look on streetview that the Google car filmed years ago, so he doesn't know the town very well!

The Aldi planning application was mainly about changes to the building, the roof and the entrance etc, not to put a new supermarket on an empty site.

So for anyone to object to Aldi now, it's about 10 years too late! Eurospar were there already, so it is well established that there is a supermarket there.

If Aldi were happy with the eurospar building, they could have just moved in, and opened for business without any planning exploits! It's all just so frustrating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Seriously weak arguments being made. Concerns over the impact to Passage as a town, and he doesn't even live near the town.
    Including the medical center and the hairdressers as a concern just reeks of desperation.
    A single objector, who's not even from the town. Jog on!

Agreed, but the system has to be adhered to unfortunately, this objection has been paid for, and it holds up the entire project, no matter how irrelevant, uninformed, ill-advised, last minute or desperate it is!

Oh well, it looks like the intended delay on the opening of Aldi has been successful. It could be August now, if we are lucky.

The dogs on the streets in Passage are barking; this is so disappointing, but we will get our Aldi.....eventually!

We must keep working on the petitions and the letters to An Bord Pleanala!

Great news breaking in passage west tonight!!!! Objection has been withdrawn, Aldi can fire ahead!! Confirmation tomorrow, people power works again!!!

Welcome to Passage West, Aldi! Open today!

Welcome to Passage West, Aldi! Open today!

I popped in this evening and the place was mobbed, car park was full, good to see the local interest. The store itself is well kitted out, every square inch is used efficiently. Nice to see bike locking stands too, something the previous shop made no effort at.

Advertisement