Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Interclubs XC

• 26-11-2017 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭

No thread for this.

Women's winner: Shona Heaslip, 2nd Kerry O'Flaherty, 3rd, Michelle Finn

Men's Winner: Paul Pollock, 2nd Kevin Dooney, 3rd ???

Looked like a tough course, bit of a mudbath in places.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

pconn062 wrote: »
    No thread for this.

Women's winner: Shona Heaslip, 2nd Kerry O'Flaherty, 3rd, Michelle Finn

Men's Winner: Paul Pollock, 2nd Kevin Dooney, 3rd ???

Looked like a tough course, bit of a mudbath in places.

I know Kevin Maunsell was closing on last lap but not sure if he got third. Not sure was it Scullion up there as well

Raheny look to have taken men's title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I know Kevin Maunsell was closing on last lap but not sure if he got third. Not sure was it Scullion up there as well

Raheny look to have taken men's title.

It was Hugh Armstrong from Ballina AC. On scholarship in Providence. Scullion not in the race from about 6/7k. Maunsell 5th. Good to see Sweeney back in a bit of form too. Great win from Heaslip too to back up last year.

Any idea why the Claw wasn't running?

It was Hugh Armstrong from Ballina AC. On scholarship in Providence. Scullion not in the race from about 6/7k. Maunsell 5th. Good to see Sweeney back in a bit of form too. Great win from Heaslip too to back up last year.

Any idea why the Claw wasn't running?

Haha whoops was basing in commentary my eyesight couldn't make them out up in the distance haha.

Good to see Hugh back one of the best 10k talents in along time (broke 30 at 19 but missed out in Greally s record by a month or two) has been consistent for providence as well.

Mick out with a niggle according to lindie naughton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Very frustrating that 4 hours after the finish of the race, there is not a single tweet or website update from Athletics Ireland on the results of the two senior and junior races. Hard to believe that the national championships took place today. Not a mention on the RTE or Irish Times website either. The PRO for the AAI really needs to get their act together

Very frustrating that 4 hours after the finish of the race, there is not a single tweet or website update from Athletics Ireland on the results of the two senior and junior races. Hard to believe that the national championships took place today. Not a mention on the RTE or Irish Times website either. The PRO for the AAI really needs to get their act together

Went to myrunresults Facebook and worked it out from the finishing gantry video myself.

Pretty poor given its chip timed and all other my run results are usually available with a half hour or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Great day of athletics and very enjoyable to watch but there is a professionalism lacking in many areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭echat

Some information here (as per Testostercone posting) but Athletics Ireland website seems to be down: https://www.myrunresults.com/events/irish_life_health_senior__junior_even_cc/2457/racereport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Yeah AI site is down now. Agree with Kiely, this is meant to be the pinnacle of the cross country season, a bigger deal needs to be made of it in terms of social media/press etc.

Results now online (FB page)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Results now online (FB page)

You'd need a magnifine glass to read those... how did you get on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Yeah AI site is down now. Agree with Kiely, this is meant to be the pinnacle of the cross country season, a bigger deal needs to be made of it in terms of social media/press etc.

It's a problem all minority sports have, win world level events of spend your life in obscurity. RTE sports reports are rugby and Premiership based. It's a microcosm of the governments attitude to sport. Fund it badly and jump on the bandwagon of rare successes. Tommy Conlon has a good piece in todays Indo.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭echat

Results on Athletics Ireland now. Raheny won senior men from Kilkenny and DSD. Leevale won senior women from DSD and An Riocht.

You'd need a magnifine glass to read those... how did you get on?

Lets just say my very ambitious target we talked about didn't materialise (about 35 places off) Still very happy with my run though

skyblue46 wrote: »
    It's a problem all minority sports have, win world level events of spend your life in obscurity. RTE sports reports are rugby and Premiership based. It's a microcosm of the governments attitude to sport. Fund it badly and jump on the bandwagon of rare successes. Tommy Conlon has a good piece in todays Indo.

To be fair our cross country team on women's side has probably been one of our most successful teams at European level over the past 10 years.

In terms of the social media stuff though it's not main stream media that I think Kiely is referring to but our own NGB for the sport if they don't promote it why would the likes of RTE or other outlets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Why d fook are myrunresults not able to produce the results. Does athletic ireland want exclusive rights to publication? Ronan can have the results online as you go over the finish line for any race he does, so there is no excuse for this ****e. Why hire him to do a job and then not let him. Seems a bit of a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

To be fair our cross country team on women's side has probably been one of our most successful teams at European level over the past 10 years.

In terms of the social media stuff though it's not main stream media that I think Kiely is referring to but our own NGB for the sport if they don't promote it why would the likes of RTE or other outlets

Oh I agree about grassroots level coverage. Athletics needs something like stickybottle has for cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

My kids do a junior park run on Sunday mornings and the results are up inside 90 minutes, every single week.

I know Athletics Ireland is largely volunteers etc, but they really should do better on this. Its very poor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    My kids do a junior park run on Sunday mornings and the results are up inside 90 minutes, every single week.

I know Athletics Ireland is largely volunteers etc, but they really should do better on this. Its very poor.[/Q

Some issues with U18/Junior combos in teams slowed it down .

Great day of racing .Pollock was really impressive in breaking away as was Heaslip. Junior men v exciting .
    Facilities wise not there yet . Need a proper shower block and indoor area. Traffic also bad , is there another potential access route that could be built in to the NSC? Park and ride or extra carparks ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

yeah, I heard the race starts were delayed. Was it all delays inside the NSC or was there something else outside causing delays?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

RayCun wrote: »
    yeah, I heard the race starts were delayed. Was it all delays inside the NSC or was there something else outside causing delays?

That would be the usual Sunday Blanch traffic :rolleyes:. There should be an access road for the NAC separate from Blanch SC exit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

RayCun wrote: »

This time of year the xmas shopping is kicking in, so the shopping centre would cause the delays!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Same issue two years running must be a traffic solution?? Maybe 3,000 odd between spectators and athletes on Sunday, not huge yet major delays

Euro Cross team is here, why not more U23s??? https://www.fastrunning.com/running-athletics-news/ireland/ireland-announce-27-strong-european-cross-country-championships-team/9965

That would be the usual Sunday Blanch traffic :rolleyes:. There should be an access road for the NAC separate from Blanch SC exit.

Agreed

Traffic in Blanch on pretty much any Sunday is mental. I've been out to the shopping centre a few times, sat in traffic not moving for half an hour and then turned around and come home.

The GAA and IRFU run major sporting events throughout the year with 50'000+ attending, and they are never ever delayed because of traffic. Never. People are able to get there on time.

Lots of European cities have sports centres - stadiums etc - at the edge of town. However, by and large they are all served by a metro line. People jump on the train in the centre of town and get out at the stop for the venue.

The problem with Abbotstown is that public transport on a Sunday 'as good as' doesnt exist. Cycling out there even would be tricky, even for an experienced cyclist, given you are crossing the M50 and Dual Carriageways.

Car is the only way to get there. And there is so much traffic in blanch anyway, even just going to the Aquatic Centre, that this will always be a problem.

youngrun wrote: »
    Same issue two years running must be a traffic solution?? Maybe 3,000 odd between spectators and athletes on Sunday, not huge yet major delays

Euro Cross team is here, why not more U23s??? https://www.fastrunning.com/running-athletics-news/ireland/ireland-announce-27-strong-european-cross-country-championships-team/9965

Yep, its disappointing but if the pipeline isnt there.....

I wonder why Siofra Cleirigh Buttner isnt running this? She is 22 - it would seem like the ideal time for her to run the U23; or even to be part of a strong Senior Womens team.

Maybe she is concentrating on track; but if its the case that she isnt making herself available then I'd question why AI should support her in the more glamorous track meets - i.e World Athletics Championships.

Yep, its disappointing but if the pipeline isnt there.....

I wonder why Siofra Cleirigh Buttner isnt running this? She is 22 - it would seem like the ideal time for her to run the U23; or even to be part of a strong Senior Womens team.

Maybe she is concentrating on track; but if its the case that she isnt making herself available then I'd question why AI should support her in the more glamorous track meets - i.e World Athletics Championships.

She had a heavy NCAA schedule in Cross as well as a very heavy race season overall (between NCAA and championship racing) coupled with obligations in college for indoors wouldn't be overly critical of her for wanting/needing a bit of time off. NCAA athletes have not travelled well in the recent past being fried by time they got there (Tobin has been one of the few who has ran well domestically while on scholarship)

Interesting to compare club performance at Underage with senior - especially in the Dublin clubs.

Raheny/ DSD/ Donore are 1st, 2nd and 4th in the Senior mens race, DSD and Donore were in Top 4 in womens race.

Yet between them they have no teams in the U12 and U14 in either girls or boys, and just Raheny has a team in U16.

The two clubs that jump out at Underage are MSB and Mullingar, and I know that these clubs have been doing a lot of work at Underage level for some time now, so its great to see it feeding through.

She had a heavy NCAA schedule in Cross as well as a very heavy race season overall (between NCAA and championship racing) coupled with obligations in college for indoors wouldn't be overly critical of her for wanting/needing a bit of time off. NCAA athletes have not travelled well in the recent past being fried by time they got there (Tobin has been one of the few who has ran well domestically while on scholarship)

I take your point; however in my view the European Cross Country is arguably the most important athletics event for Irish athletics, in that its a race where we have consistently won medals and had a presence in the past ten years - especially in the womens race. And the sport really needs good news stories at the moment. As such, if she's not going to run it, then what will she run.....I have no problem with an athlete saying I am putting myself first; however I believe AI's investment should be in the athletes that say, first and foremost - if I'm fit I will run.

I take your point; however in my view the European Cross Country is arguably the most important athletics event for Irish athletics, in that its a race where we have consistently won medals and had a presence in the past ten years - especially in the womens race. And the sport really needs good news stories at the moment. As such, if she's not going to run it, then what will she run.....I have no problem with an athlete saying I am putting myself first; however I believe AI's investment should be in the athletes that say, first and foremost - if I'm fit I will run.

It's not putting the athlete first though. These athletes have obligation to the institutions which invest highly in these athletes (which is not the AAI)

Think of it this way, Villanova invest six figures in buttner here obligations are to them and NCAA championships. That includes cross (which is arguably a more competitive race that Euros) which she had to peak for and then again for Indoors (which will probably rule her out of Birmingham)

These institutions are helping keep athletes in he sport to an extent as the investment in developing athletes in this country wouldn't even cover sub standard rent while in college in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

youngrun wrote: »
    The GAA and IRFU run major sporting events throughout the year with 50'000+ attending, and they are never ever delayed because of traffic. Never. People are able to get there on time.
    Car is the only way to get there. And there is so much traffic in blanch anyway, even just going to the Aquatic Centre, that this will always be a problem.

There are already much better routes to access the NAC during heavy traffic around the centre. People all go for the first exit off the N3 at the garda station as they don't know it exists. (And they're also changing the first junction completely anyway.) The exit after that is better.

Then the N2 exit off the M50 will also get you there so much quicker if the traffic is bad trying to access the centre, you don't even have to hit any traffic lights until you're at the NAC itself.

No need to look for solutions when they're already there. You don't have to go near Blanchardstown to get there.

Re Access to the campus itself, there's a couple of additional ones but aren't open for the public. There's one further up the road if you were to come from the N2 direction, they're doing a bit of works around there at the moment, and there's at least one other on the road to Cappagh. Both of those would have you avoiding the aquatic centre bringing you either directly to the indoor arena or around by the FAI headquarters.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    There are already much better routes to access the NAC during heavy traffic around the centre. People all go for the first exit off the N3 at the garda station as they don't know it exists. (And they're also changing the first junction completely anyway.) The exit after that is better.

Then the N2 exit off the M50 will also get you there so much quicker if the traffic is bad trying to access the centre, you don't even have to hit any traffic lights until you're at the NAC itself.

No need to look for solutions when they're already there. You don't have to go near Blanchardstown to get there.

Re Access to the campus itself, there's a couple of additional ones but aren't open for the public. There's one further up the road if you were to come from the N2 direction, they're doing a bit of works around there at the moment, and there's at least one other on the road to Cappagh. Both of those would have you avoiding the aquatic centre bringing you either directly to the indoor arena or around by the FAI headquarters.

Look at who is going to this event - its 85% clubs outside of the capital. People travelling from Letterkenny, West Waterford, An Riocht, Westport AC, Ennis, Derry..... It stands to reason that they will go the way Google Maps tells them to go.

Advertisement