Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minimum Pricing on Fast Food?

• 26-11-2017 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭

Will this eventually become a reality after alcohol is priced up?

I'm referring to the cheaper deals at the like of McDonalds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Any takeaway food should be subject to a calory count. Have bands 0-100, 101-200 etc with a 25% price hike for every band above the first.

Example

WHOPPER® Sandwich with Cheese w/o Mayo - fat calories 220
    WHOPPER® Sandwich with Cheese with Mayo - fat calories 380

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭weisses

Any takeaway food should be subject to a calory count. Have bands 0-100, 101-200 etc with a 25% price hike for every band above the first.

Example

Welcome to the nanny state

No thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I've no doubt this will be next when the FG/FF state sponsored Vintners cartels are in the government's ear wanting eliminate the sale of 'cheap' burgers or chicken mcnuggets to so they can continue to sell their own fast food/pub grub muck for up to €15 for the good of the nation's health supposedly

Fast food is 30-40% cheaper up the North too surprise surprise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Example

Well that's an intelligent idea ........... :rolleyes:

What's wrong with penalising fat intake - have you seen the state of the population?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I don't eat fast food too often, but is it just me or have prices absolutely skyrocketed at the in the last 5-10 years, as in close to even doubled on some things? It could just be my mind playing tricks on my but I got a burger, chips and a drink at McDonalds a few weeks ago and would up getting something like 60-70c back from a tenner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Example

Spot the vegan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

What's wrong with penalising fat intake - have you seen the state of the population?

Most of the population eat fast food in moderation or not at all.

Tax cheese instead, it's fattening and I don't like it.

Or how about reducing tax on healthy food?

Now where's that pizza menu?

I'm no vegan or veggie I love meat but I'm not a fool about the way people have become slothful dribbling wallowing fatburgs in the last 20 years (when TV does a report about obesity they always make sure not to show faces, that's not true if the pictures relate to specific healthy people which also tells me something).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Oh for Christ sake we don't need more intrusion on how people live their life's but less. It is actually counterproductive long term as people will lose the ability to make proper lifestyle choices for themselves and their families.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

How about just letting the market decide the price of all food items and allow people to make their own decisions.

elperello wrote: »
    How about just letting the market decide the price of all food items and allow people to make their own decisions.

That's the case right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's unlikely to make any difference and it would be interference in the market.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

That's the case right now.

Fine with me. Personal responsibility and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Example

You don't eat fast food right? Hence why you would not care about such a tax.

But if something you consume or do would to be taxed you would sing a different tune... Right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Oh for Christ sake we don't need more intrusion on how people live their life's but less. It is actually counterproductive long term as people will lose the ability to make proper lifestyle choices for themselves and their families.

Clearly that approach isn't working. People are fatter than ever. Diabetes on the rise, heart disease and a whole lot of other medical illnesses due to bad diet.

The government already de-insentivises smoking and alcohol through taxation, why shouldn't fatty, sugary food be targetted?
    it's unlikely to make any difference and it would be interference in the market.
    So what if they're interfering. That's what all governments and economists do. They interferes through incentives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Fast food in Ireland is too expensive as is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

Fast food in Ireland is too expensive as is.

McDonald's do a Eurosaver Menu

The fat addicts will likely gravitate towards these deals in the same way that drunks buy the cheapest cider

Fat is not a drug.

Fat is not a drug.

Well not in the generic sense but people who are fat often are addicted to consumption of fat, it becomes a reflex action and the fat is what gives trash food it's particular allure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭tooManyChoices

Singling out fat over other calories makes no sense at all.

Including calorie counts on menus seems like a no-brainer though. Even/especially in the "let the market decide" arguments, having the information to make the choice is crucial. Something I can't remember seeing in fast-foot except McDonalds/KFC etc.

Well not in the generic sense but people who are fat often are addicted to consumption of fat, it becomes a reflex action and the fat is what gives trash food it's particular allure.

They just like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

eeguy wrote: »
    Clearly that approach isn't working. People are fatter than ever. Diabetes on the rise, heart disease and a whole lot of other medical illnesses due to bad diet.

agreed but taxing won't solve it. education on the other hand might.
    The government already de-insentivises smoking and alcohol through taxation, why shouldn't fatty, sugary food be targetted?

because alcohol taxation isn't working, alcohol consumption and smoking were declining before government ramped up taxation on them and the taxation isn't having any effect on consumption as people are buying smokes from the black market.
    So what if they're interfering. That's what all governments and economists do. They interferes through incentives.

there isn't anything wrong with it, however government will be dishonest about it.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Fat is not a drug.
    Something doesn't need to be a drug to get addicted to it.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Something doesn't need to be a drug to get addicted to it.

I know, look at all the harm caused by love!

agreed but taxing won't solve it. education on the other hand might.

because alcohol taxation isn't working, alcohol consumption and smoking were declining before government ramped up taxation on them and the taxation isn't having any effect on consumption as people are buying smokes from the black market.

there isn't anything wrong with it, however government will be dishonest about it.

None of your knee jerk anecdotal opinions are shown in any studies.
    The government need to crack down more on black market cigarettes.
    Smoking and drinking are way down from decades ago, thanks to repeated efforts to increase prices and reduce advertising.

Poor guy goes into burger joint = Bad fat.
    Rich guy goes into fancy restaurant = Good fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Poor guy goes into burger joint = Bad fat.
    Rich guy goes into fancy restaurant = Good fat.

No

• Advertisement

No

Yes with minimum pricing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Well first off, consumption of fat does not mean you'll be getting fat right on the belly. You can spend you're life eatting too much salad and still end up fat.

The issue is one of lifestyle. We've become rather sendentry in general. Encourage active lifestyles and you won't really need to worry about fast food.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Patww79 wrote: »
    But if you fix a problem then it isn't there to tax any more.

We gotta wear clothes don't we? Higher vat on that.

Well first off, consumption of fat does not mean you'll be getting fat right on the belly. You can spend you're life eatting too much salad and still end up fat.

The issue is one of lifestyle. We've become rather sendentry in general. Encourage active lifestyles and you won't really need to worry about fast food.

90% of weight loss is down to diet, not exercise.

As the saying goes, you cant exercise away a bad diet.
    Education is important, but it needs to be incentivised through higher prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Example

Suprised this got so negative response

Why Is taxing unhealthy food any different to taxing smoking,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Singling out fat over other calories makes no sense at all.

Including calorie counts on menus seems like a no-brainer though. Even/especially in the "let the market decide" arguments, having the information to make the choice is crucial. Something I can't remember seeing in fast-foot except McDonalds/KFC etc.

That'll only work if people understand the difference in calories.

People see that they are allowed '2000 calories a day' and think all calories are the same.

Clearly 500 calories from a burger and chips is not as good as 500 calories from a mix of veg and fresh fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Would it be done in fancy restaurants too or would only the poor be taxed?

Don't see why it wouldn't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Where are all these fat people that everyone talks about? Obesity is huge, State of the nation?

Anytime I'm out everybody looks decent enough to me, You see the odd overweight person but not much to be fair.

When they do these studies do they class someone say who is 1 point over the BMI scale to be obese? Or someone who has a couple extra pounds? I can loose a couple of pounds just taking a dump. How does it work?

I may be wrong completely but I'd say none of this fast food tax, sugar tax, minimum pricing or any tax is brought in for our benefit.

They need to **** off and leave us alone.

More ****e here

https://www.joe.ie/fitness-health/new-eu-regulations-will-bring-big-change-pretty-much-favourite-snack-foods-607632

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Teach people how to cook, most people suck at it. Teach it in Primary School and Secondary School (Junior and Leaving Cert). Make nutrition a separate but linked/overlapping subject.

Ban soft drinks sales and sweets in Secondary School shops.

Make simple meal plans for anybody that wants one from a licensed nutritionist free of charge.

Give free/subsidised gym membership to everyone.

Teach parents how to feed their children 5 or more vegetables in a day.

Teach adults to eat 5 or more vegetables in a day.

But stick your minimum pricing bullsh1t up your hole! Sick to the back tooth of listening to Nanny State sh1tetalk all the time nowadays!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's a whole lot nicer though.

Why not just give us all a calorie supplement in tablet form every morning?

No that's what I'm saying. The problem, especially with kids is they will always pick the more appealing option, which would invariably be the burger and chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭tooManyChoices

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Where are all these fat people that everyone talks about? Obesity is huge, State of the nation?

Anytime I'm out everybody looks decent enough to me, You see the odd overweight person but not much to be fair.
    We're so bloody used to it that we have no idea what it looks like.

overweight = "a healthy looking weight"

obese = "ah sure he's grand"

morbidly obese = "I suppose he's getting a bit portly"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Because penalising grown adults, financially or otherwise, on their own personal choices is idiotic at best and does zero to in relation to solving an issue/problem ......... education is the way to go and after that it's individual decisions.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Because penalising grown adults, financially or otherwise, on their own personal choices is idiotic at best and does zero to in relation to solving an issue/problem ......... education is the way to go and after that it's individual decisions.

The entire government budget of near every western country is designed to penalise and insentivise grown adults.

Doesn't matter what you do. Think of VRT, motor tax, sugar tax, home improvement grants, tax exemptions etc etc etc, they're all to encourage certain behaviour and dissuade other behaviour.

It's what economics is based on. Not realising this is idiotic and blind to what makes the world go round.
    Education is near useless. You can't teach someone to do something they don't want to do.

QFT, Tis amazing how stupid people are about this. Must be plenty here who love a greasy burger! :D

QFT, Tis amazing how stupid people are about this. Must be plenty here who love a greasy burger! :D

Shocking so it is and I understand that some of the proletariat put butter on their spuds too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement