Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sowing garlic

Options
  • 26-11-2017 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi All
    Any hints on sowing garlic about now in polytunnel..
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Spring or late summer are the best times, to be honest. The soil should be well dug, and deeply. A general fertiliser to boost NPK a couple of months before planting helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No reason why you can't grow over-winter garlic, treat the growing bed with seaweed dust and plant just below the surface

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you sowing seed or planting cloves? no time like the present for the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

Planting cloves. My first time, I usually sow Winter onions n said I'd give the garlic a try this year as well

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nell B

I grew garlic in the tunnel last year and it was a great success. I got bigger bulbs than out doors. I planted in November last year - part of a rotation BASL - as suggested by yesterdays post from Harry Palmr, I used seaweed dust planted as recommended at a depth of twice the clove depth and kept the bed well weeded. Just planted some again this year so hoping for more success. Do give it a try and good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Just wondering, if you plant cloves in a polytunnel now when would you expect a harvest? Thinking to fit it into next year's rotation plan and when I can plan to have the bed free again...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I normally sow in October, but it should be ok now if in a polytunnel - it actually needs some frost to force good growth. Expect a crop around Late April/May if planting now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i normally plant out nov/dec, usually harvest in about june/july.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

i normally plant out nov/dec, usually harvest in about june/july.

Outdoors or under cover?

outdoors.

• Advertisement
Advertisement