Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lessons

Options
  • 26-11-2017 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Playing off 14 at the moment and playing consistently. Would like to take it up a level next year. Am striking very consistent (pulling my irons left if I don't concentrate on follow through). Never had a lesson and was wondering on people's experiences with lessons. Don't really want to get worse to get better if you know what I mean. How many lessons do you typically get. Also I don't really have access to a driving range would this be s problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

A lesson will make you better not worse and you don’t have to get worse to get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

If you don't have access to a driving range it will be hard to get much benefit out of a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

A lesson will make you better not worse and you don’t have to get worse to get better.

Possibly not true with a poor instructor

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Yea you really need to practice what the lessons will teach you so a driving range is kind of essential.

I would say you are probably going to want to start off with at least 3-5 lessons, but it will depend on the level you are currently at. 1st 2 will be close enough together, no more than 2 weeks apart and you will need to hit the range at least a couple of times in between. Then you will want to go back a couple of times, probably a few weeks apart from each other.

just concentrate on getting your swing right in the first bunch of lessons. then if you want to go further again, you can bring set up a few short game lessons and even a playing lesson

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

Playing off 14 at the moment and playing consistently. Would like to take it up a level next year. Am striking very consistent (pulling my irons left if I don't concentrate on follow through). Never had a lesson and was wondering on people's experiences with lessons. Don't really want to get worse to get better if you know what I mean. How many lessons do you typically get. Also I don't really have access to a driving range would this be s problem.

A couple of years ago, I was playing off 16 and wanted to improve. I moved house and there was no range nearby. I signed up for 6 lessons over the winter with a good pro. Due to work etc, they were about 2 weeks apart. The only balls I hit were in the lesson or afterwards in the bay. Didn't play at all.

He give me some drills to do at home, (without hitting balls) where I'd try and swing the club into positions in the back swing etc.

I was crap at the lessons for the first 3 sessions or so and then in week it started to click. When I got back on the course I was hitting the ball far better and confidence in my swing improved as the season wore on. Got down to 10 by the end of the year and those lessons were the key.

Having faith in the pro was key to how it worked out. I knew he was good and I trusted him. Not hitting a ball was a good thing because I didn't know how bad I was in between lessons!

Think I'll go and book another 6 and see if I can get that confidence back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement