Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garage PIR

Options
  • 26-11-2017 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I installed a HKC 1070 in 2013 with perimeter shock sensors and standard PIR's internally. All manuals were read at the time and this forum was most helpful. And thanks to Altor for helping with remaining queries. All has been fine with the exception of a garage PIR which falsely alarms on occasion. This has not been a huge problem until it recently activated on successive nights when I was away. I would like to solve this issue. I sprayed the area with spider x but it activated again. I checked the garage immediately and saw a mouse on a ledge close to the PIR!!!!!!
    I have thought about this problem and searched for solutions. I now propose to use a dual tech PIR and wire it in parallel with the existing one a few feet away. The assumption being that a mouse cant be in two places at once. Any advice appreciated. Alternatively remove the PIR and rely on perimeter sensors only but I like the confirmed alarm set-up. Also the existing PIR is point ID type, how does the parallel wired PIR affect the identity through point ID? Thanks in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'd replace with a duel tec PiR not wire both in parallel.
    And get rid of the mouse /mice ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Had the same problem myself. Mice and the odd bird that got in to the garage setting off the PIR. So I put inertia sensors on the doors and windows instead. Did away with the PIR altogether. Problem sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

frthdo wrote: »
    I installed a HKC 1070 in 2013 with perimeter shock sensors and standard PIR's internally. All manuals were read at the time and this forum was most helpful. And thanks to Altor for helping with remaining queries. All has been fine with the exception of a garage PIR which falsely alarms on occasion. This has not been a huge problem until it recently activated on successive nights when I was away. I would like to solve this issue. I sprayed the area with spider x but it activated again. I checked the garage immediately and saw a mouse on a ledge close to the PIR!!!!!!
    I have thought about this problem and searched for solutions. I now propose to use a dual tech PIR and wire it in parallel with the existing one a few feet away. The assumption being that a mouse cant be in two places at once. Any advice appreciated. Alternatively remove the PIR and rely on perimeter sensors only but I like the confirmed alarm set-up. Also the existing PIR is point ID type, how does the parallel wired PIR affect the identity through point ID? Thanks in advance

If you do need to use an ID one you would need a ID module then wire the Dual Tech PIR direct into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 frthdo

Thanks for suggestions. Koolkid, I am hoping to have a robust solution and I cannot always keep a mouse out? Luckysasha, I will use your suggestion if necessary, but will try holding the PIR first.
    Altor, do you approve of the Standard PIR parallel wired to a dual tech as a robust solution? If so I could rewire the existing PIR as non ID (power, alarm and tamper) and wire a new dual tech to it (tamper circuit in series and alarm circuit in parallel). I have a spare zone on the panel which I could use for this. I am assuming the dual tech is non ID anyway? Thanks in advance.

No, if you have the spare zone on the panel Id delete the point ID PIR and wire the Dual Tech straight into the zone.
    If you dont have the spare cores to do same then id use a point ID module and wire the Dual Tech into that.

• Advertisement

Crystal clear, I think I have the cores, if not a new cable is not difficult. Zone module? looks like an inertia sensor?

Crystal clear, I think I have the cores, if not a new cable is not difficult. Zone module? looks like an inertia sensor?

The cheaper option would be to get the cable from panel to detector rather than use the point ID module.
    Yes that is correct, its the same size as the standard ID detectors for the windows.
    Just make sure it is the ID module version.

Thank you Altor. Hopefully, the garage is protected and the neighbors talking to me.

Thank you Altor. Hopefully, the garage is protected and the neighbors talking to me.

No problem, any other questions please come back to us

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Thanks for suggestions. Koolkid, I am hoping to have a robust solution and I cannot always keep a mouse out? Luckysasha, I will use your suggestion if necessary, but will try holding the PIR first.
    Altor, do you approve of the Standard PIR parallel wired to a dual tech as a robust solution? If so I could rewire the existing PIR as non ID (power, alarm and tamper) and wire a new dual tech to it (tamper circuit in series and alarm circuit in parallel). I have a spare zone on the panel which I could use for this. I am assuming the dual tech is non ID anyway? Thanks in advance.

What cabling do you have in place in the garage?

• Advertisement

I have the existing PIR on +,- , tamper and data, with 2 cores travelling on to window and door alarm (same tamper cores) and I see a spare core atthe PIR. So I am counting at least 8. To be honest I was looking for spare core rather than counting, but can check.

8 Cores is plenty for both perimeter and a duel tec PiR.
    You would be able to have much more control of the unit with adjustable microwave still have the perimeter covered as well.

"You would be able to have much more control of the unit with adjustable microwave"

Can you elaborate as I have not the dual tech installation sheet yet.

Also for full disclosure when I opened the standard PIR I saw the sensitivity was set to high, which I assume is not a good idea.

On duel tec PiRs you can reduce the sensitivity of the microwave.
    Can you post a pic of the PiR you have.

Advertisement