Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A wow culinary experience

• 26-11-2017 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

An amazing culinary experience … that’s what I’m after!
    Last year my partner and I travelled to the Neven Macguire’s restaurant in the Blacklion, and I can only say it was ‘wow!!’.
    The dinner was amazing, but what I enjoyed more was their breakfast. It was terrific.
    Anyone thinking about going should stop, and just go … definitely gets my 10 out of 10.
    With Christmas on the horizon, I am looking for is boardie’s overall favorite restaurant/dining experience?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm kind of biased there, but to me the greatest wow experience in Ireland was the Cafe Paradiso here in Cork. Can't wait for a good excuse to go again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,789 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

My most recent "Wow!" experience was in Miyazaki on Evergreen St in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭gifted

Dinner at the Cliff house hotel in Ardmore in Waterford....wow, wow and wow again....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Can I add the Cahernane House Hotel. A hidden gem in Killarney. Simply stunning meal the weekend before last. Wood pigeon and pheasant for me and halibut and crab for her. Really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Last year my partner and I travelled to the Neven Macguire’s restaurant in the Blacklion, and I can only say it was ‘wow!!’.
    The dinner was amazing, but what I enjoyed more was their breakfast. It was terrific.
    Anyone thinking about going should stop, and just go … definitely gets my 10 out of 10.
    With Christmas on the horizon, I am looking for is boardie’s overall favorite restaurant/dining experience?

Very happy to hear this, am going soon! just wondering...for the tasting menu, is it worth the extra for the wine selection to go with it???

• Advertisement

Aniar in Galway, was lucky enough to have dinner there last year. Food, wine, service everything was fantastic. Best meal I've ever had in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    Very happy to hear this, am going soon! just wondering...for the tasting menu, is it worth the extra for the wine selection to go with it???

I've been twice and it is amazing. The first time my husband got the wine pairings but he didn't the last time. You don't really have enough time to savour each glass.

For example, when you arrive you are given a glass of prosecco in the bar while you look at the menu. So we were heading to our table with a full glass of prosecco to drink and then all the individual glasses that come with each course were added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

We stayed in gregans castle, near ballyvaughan in clare, last year. It was the best food I've ever eaten - far, far better than any meal I've had in any Michelin place.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

bigronnie9 wrote: »

Both (my partner and I) went for the wine selection... and with the exception of the desert wine (a little too sweet for us) they were lovely.

9 courses (i think) with a different wine each course. They explain the wine and why they feel is works well with the meal.

One of the first courses is a soup ... for me, i didn't know what wine went with soup. Silly me, shurr what else only champagne!!
    Enjoy, you'll have a great time!**

**totally jealous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Perfect, might give it a go since it'll probably by the only time we visit!

Can't wait :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Ivory Tower in Cork, although it's been a long time since I was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Amuse on Dawson Street in Dublin is really special.

Also, last Christmas Eve, we had lunch in the Greenhouse. That was a fantastic meal and a great way to kick start the whole Christmas period.

Other places I've stayed with good food experiences included the Cliff House Hotel, Glenlo Abbey, Dunbrody, The Step House and The Old Convent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The restaurant in Castle Leslie in Monaghan that offers a 5 course fine dining (forgot the name) was absolutely amazing and even my picky man loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,127 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

We stayed in gregans castle, near ballyvaughan in clare, last year. It was the best food I've ever eaten - far, far better than any meal I've had in any Michelin place.

My favorite restaurant in Ireland.

I've also loved The Old Convent but I haven't been in years.

Advertisement