Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tommee tippee perfect prep - would you be without yours?

Options
  • 26-11-2017 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

Didn't have one for my first. Next baby due in January. Considering one of these. They kinda sound too good to be true!
    As title says - would you be without yours?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

These were about when I had our second.

They seem very bulky , take up counter space, are expensive and totally redundant after a few months.

If they doubled as an espresso machine or something, maybe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

heldel00 wrote: »
    Didn't have one for my first. Next baby due in January. Considering one of these. They kinda sound too good to be true!
    As title says - would you be without yours?

Couldn’t breastfeed due to a particular med. this was my best friend. Highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

They are apparently quite unsafe in the way they actually make up the formula? I’ve read an article but dont know where. Formula isn’t a sterile product and needs to be made with enough water at 70deg (I think it’s 70 anyhow) to sterilise it. The perfect prep uses a small amount of hot water to mix, then tops up with cold.
    I think that’s the crux of it anyhow. I’ve necer used one.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Wexy86

Wouldn’t be without it, especially for night feeds.
    From my own research it was more so not tested rather than not recommended.

There was also a big media thing a few months ago about the tubes being mouldy. It ended up that the user didn’t use the clean function! And was using cheaper filters. In a panic I opened mine and it was fine, all tubes clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭LadyBetty

Highly recommend it, found it brilliant. Made life so easy and was a godsend in middle of the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Thanks guys. Its mad that my little fella is only just gone two and it is as if i have forgotten everything!
    The clevamama scoop is definitely on my shopping list too. Life is too short to be losing count of scoops of formula!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Didn't bother for either to be honest.Just got more efficient at making and storing bottles for no.2 :-)
    The amount of crap in your house increases exponentially when a second child arrives, so I wasn't keen on adding to it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

There was a lot of trouble about mould in these I think. Also the temp apparently isn't hot enough to kill the germs in the formula. I wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

We were given one from a friend and initially thought it was a great idea but to be honest while it may have made life easier for us, the uncertainty around it and the lack of testing meant, for us at least, it wasn't worth it. I just prepped as much as possible before going to bed and then got up a little earlier at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

heldel00 wrote:
    The clevamama scoop is definitely on my shopping list too. Life is too short to be losing count of scoops of formula!

I wouldn't recommend the Clevascoop. I found it very messy and the funnel part still got damp from the steam from the bottle and had the formula cling to it.
    The best tip I got was batch making bottles and storing them in the fridge. Once used within 24 hours of being made, they're fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

We were given one from a friend and initially thought it was a great idea but to be honest while it may have made life easier for us, the uncertainty around it and the lack of testing meant, for us at least, it wasn't worth it. I just prepped as much as possible before going to bed and then got up a little earlier at night.

Same for us.
    Being a bit of a gadget lover, this was high on my hit list before our first came along.
    However, once I found out about the FSAI not approving it, I didn't want to take that risk. There were a few other threads about it here on boards and other parenting websites I can remember. Given that our little man was premature, I couldn't trust it further.
    I always found it odd that whenever I went to look at it, it was nearly always at half price too. I guess the company knew that this was perhaps going to damage it's sales here, so they tried to hook people in with a lower price?
    I know our little ones will come in contact with germs etc... probably no matter what, but if there's something I can do as a parent where I know it's simply not proven, I won't bother, even it causes a little bit more time.
    I was always surprised how other people would look past this, simply to avoid some hassle.

smaoifs wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend the Clevascoop. I found it very messy and the funnel part still got damp from the steam from the bottle and had the formula cling to it.
    The best tip I got was batch making bottles and storing them in the fridge. Once used within 24 hours of being made, they're fine.

I've never had this problem and I highly recommend the Clevascoop. It was probably the best gadget we'd recommend!
    What way did you make the bottles? We boiled the water but let it cool for 30mins first, then made the bottles and transferred them to the fridge (once cooled to store for 24hrs like you mentioned) - when made like this, there should be no steam coming from the water to make anything stick etc...
    As long as the scoop and funnel was well dried before use, the powder went in no bother, just with a few taps needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I had one for my older boy and found it a life saver as I was making them up one by one. Can’t remember when I bought it. Anyway I don’t think I would use one again after hearing about mould etc.
    I am breastfeeding now so haven’t used any formula on my 3 month old. I think though I would make them up store in fridge and use within 24 hours. Or even make up 3 at a time? I didn’t think you could that so that’s why I bought the machine. Anyway I would make them up now if I had to!!

Something to note is I think the minimum is 4oz?? I think when they are tiny babies take less so you end up wasting formula? Not 100% as breastfed older boy too but I know my friend always complained about wasting formula at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

http://www.mothercare.ie/philips-avent-milk-powder-dispenser.html

We used this, best thing ever! Highly recommend

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Best invention ever, I had it for #3 and 4(15 month gap) I combined fed and it really was brilliant.
    I got it for £50 on amazon so keep an eye on prices.

Advertisement