Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Medium sized town: fairly big story

• 26-11-2017 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭

I got a book recently of this short lived slot on a radio show where theyd show some of the manic goings on in the smaller town. Example a story of a local judge referring to a defendant as 'a gob****e'.

The crime reports themselves in local papers can be the stuff of legend in the minute detail provided. You just dont see this stuff in national press.

Anyways...any small town people have any similar stories to share?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I used to think stuff like this was funny.
    Now though, when I read about the goings on in my adopted home town, it's almost depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The time Nora knitted the jumper for Fr. Dunne. There were two dropped stitches on the front and a mistake in the pattern on the back. Front page of the parish bulletin for two weeks.

How some of us laughed but others were traumatised by it for months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Your Face wrote: »
    I used to think stuff like this was funny.
    Now though, when I read about the goings on in my adopted home town, it's almost depressing.

Yes there's that side to it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Not my local town. But not too far away. Great headline!

KerrymanISISfront.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Local District judge presiding over an attempted rape case....

" There's a lot of sex going on in this town, and I'm having none of it"

Much laughter ensued!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

The time Nora knitted the jumper for Fr. Dunne. There were two dropped stitches on the front and a mistake in the pattern on the back. Front page of the parish bulletin for two weeks.

How some of us laughed but others were traumatised by it for months.

That was the same Nora who changed a 4euro to a 40euro on a scratch card last Christmas, her with the big head and the green Ford Fiesta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

The sheer lunacy that marriage break ups descend into make for hilarious stuff

Know a lad what is fathers age,got sent to jail for 6 weeks or so. ...coz he called the judge an asrehole and not apoligise over judge agreeing with his ex over who owned a notebook
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That was the same Nora who changed a 4euro to a 40euro on a scratch card last Christmas, her with the big head and the green Ford Fiesta.

That's her. Sure who else could it have been? Y'know yourself.

I got a book recently of this short lived slot on a radio show where theyd show some of the manic goings on in the smaller town. Example a story of a local judge referring to a defendant as 'a gob****e'.

In fairness, if it's the one I'm thinking of, while it lacked decorum, it was the defendants 3rd or 4th time up for driving without insurance and in any other setting the word was absolutely appropriate. In fact, he should have added "take your head out of your hole and at least try to act like an adult"...which was my recent advice to a fellow up for his 4th driving with no insurance offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bog Cuttings in the Phoenix usually contains a few gems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

It could be an urban myth but there was a story going round Nenagh in the eighties.

During a court case the judge got annoyed by a teenager standing against the wall loudly chewing gum.

Judge to cop: Go down there and tell that young lad to stop masticating.
    Cop to teenager: Get your hands out of your pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

sligojoek wrote: »
    It could be an urban myth but there was a story going round Nenagh in the eighties.

During a court case the judge got annoyed by a teenager standing against the wall loudly chewing gum.

The District Court in Nenagh is like Saturday Night Live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

It's not the same without Hector

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

splinter65 wrote: »
    The District Court in Nenagh is like Saturday Night Live

I spent many a Friday morning in it.

sligojoek wrote: »

Or the other great old one, the fellow in bail court being led away, turning to his solicitor and shouting "you were right, that Judge IS only a bollix"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

u6Myn.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Do you remember the time McGinity tied a goat to the English man's motor car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Miss Flannagan Investigates, my maw used to get the Ireland's Own posted to her every week in Scotland. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

endacl wrote: »
    u6Myn.jpg

Did they not resort that if i remember correctly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,263 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Some of the stories you'd hear from the nearby town of Kilrush here in West Clare are simply bizzare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I found the Local papers used be great for stories like this up until the late 2000's. Now you only get the odd story when somebody does something semi big.

I found the Local papers used be great for stories like this up until the late 2000's. Now you only get the odd story when somebody does something semi big.
    Crime reports were a goldmine for laughs

Advertisement