Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Often Do You Check Your Phone?

• 26-11-2017 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭

Can you watch a TV show without it?
    Do you leave it in another room for a few hours?
    Are you the type that looks at it the minute you wake up and before you fall asleep?

I've noticed I struggle to watch a match or TV show these days without scrolling through the phone looking for that hit of dopamine.

My attention span is gone so bad as a result.

What's your phone activity like?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

It's in my handbag at the moment, I haven't looked at it since yesterday evening, when I got it out to take a photo.

I'm actually really bad for forgetting to take it along when I leave the house, that's why it lives in the handbag these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I didn't even turn it on today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

More than I thought

http://www.checkyapp.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Only when I get a message on OkCupid or Plenty of Fish.

Every ten minutes or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

It's on my person from.6am to 10pm ..I have to be in communication with work....I switch it off at night...and when I go on hols, phone stays at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I never check it. I had missed calls and texts and other **** from Friday that I got round to yesterday. I don't live my life via the phone and see no point unless you are a complete arsehole that wants it that way.

Typed from a laptop. Remember them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

I'm very badly addicted to my phone, sometimes I turn off my mobile data and wifi to get away from it for a bit. I check it first thing in the morning, last thing at night and I don't know how many times throughout the day. If I'm in company I leave it alone because I don't want to be rude, but if I'm watching something on my own then I usually have the phone out and I'm browsing while I watch, I find it difficult to concentrate on just a film on its own unless I'm at the cinema or with other people. If I wake during the night I check it too. I used to read a lot more before I had a smart phone too, I still have a book on the go but it takes me a lot longer to get through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Patww79 wrote: »

And you feel strongly about what I think other people do with their own phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I never check it. I had missed calls and texts and other **** from Friday that I got round to yesterday. I don't live my life via the phone and see no point unless you are a complete arsehole that wants it that way.

Typed from a laptop. Remember them?

At home, I'm more of a laptop person myself, but I don't think anyone who uses their phone a lot is a complete arsehole because that's just silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I work in IT so always have a laptop or two close by, and the phone is usually beside it too. I check it if it beeps for a message but otherwise only when I need it. Prefer the laptop for web browsing or posting on sites like this though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Approximately every 43 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I check it if I get a text message

• Registered Users Posts: 33 headoverheels

More often than I'd like to admit but I use it for work alot of the time too however, I found that I never watch the television anymore now i can't remember the last time I sat down to watch something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I didn't even turn it on today.

You're on here quite a lot, do you sit at a PC/laptop all day? I'm not sure which is worse.

I check my phone a lot. In work maybe every hour or so, outside work more often unless I'm otherwise occupied, with company, etc. It varies I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I'll happily leave it in the hall at home when I'm watching TV or doing other stuff. In work I have two mobiles that are constantly beeping and ringing , one my own and the other is an android blackberry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Gas seeing people saying they hardly ever check their phone like they’re great when they’re using some sort of device to post in this thread :pac: phone, laptop, tablet it’s all the same these days!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I use it a lot during matches to checkout the matches Im not watching.

True and fascinating story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I use it like a phone, it leave it in the kitchen and if I hear it ring well and good. I have all other sound notifications switched off. I will get to a text etc when I next go to take the phone with me. I refuse to let it rule me.

I do find it handy to look up stuff I need to know on the go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

My phone is practically glued to my hand 24/7. I wish I was cool like you guys..

I don't take it out in company however and can't take it out around my niece cos she does be going wild for d'youtube

Hate when I'm on a bus or somewhere and I see all 10 people in front of me sitting looking at their phones. I think it's because they look so ungrateful for technology that would have blew their minds 15 or more years ago. Surely technology is meant to increase living standards? These people seem like zombies and unhappy. I know it's sad but when I see everyone else using their phone I make a conscious attempt not to look at my phone so I can feel like I'm not a spoiled 2017 person. Deep down I know I am but I wish I wasn't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Every hour or so, tops but if I'm at the cinema and a film is no good I'll usually whip out my phone and spend the whole film catching up on emailing, texting and FB stuff though.

I'm only messing with you, I hate those bastids! Just back from the flicks in fact and at least three people had their phones out during the film. Huge phones and on full brightness too, with seemingly no damn awareness that perhaps the glare might be distracting to others. Hope Santa gets stuck in the chimney, the fcukers.

Hate when I'm on a bus or somewhere and I see all 10 people in front of me sitting looking at their phones. I think it's because they look so ungrateful for technology that would have blew their minds 15 or more years ago. Surely technology is meant to increase living standards? These people seem like zombies and unhappy. I know it's sad but when I see everyone else using their phone I make a conscious attempt not to look at my phone so I can feel like I'm not a spoiled 2017 person. Deep down I know I am but I wish I wasn't!

People looking at their phones= "spoiled 2017 person"..
    Hmm okay...

anna080 wrote: »
    People looking at their phones= "spoiled 2017 person"....
    Hmm okay...

Eh ... yeah? If somebody handed you such technology a generation ago you would have been extremely overstimulated ie. spoilt.

You're in a public place by yourself and feel slightly awkward? No problem, jsut look at your phone! .... spoilt

Want to be constantly entertained/distracted during any spare moments by reading news, wikipedia articles, watching videos, looking at stuff friends share etc.? Wow, you're among the first generation of people who can constantly be distracted ... spoilt

That said, I prefer the days before anyone had smartphones. Distracting myself the whole time without realising it makes my mind numb and I'd venture contributes to other peoples minds feeling numb too.

Eh ... yeah? If somebody handed you such technology a generation ago you would have been extremely overstimulated ie. spoilt.

You're in a public place by yourself and feel slightly awkward? No problem, jsut look at your phone! .... spoilt

Want to be constantly entertained/distracted during any spare moments by reading news, wikipedia articles, watching videos, looking at stuff friends share etc.? Wow, you're among the first generation of people who can constantly be distracted ... spoilt

That said, I prefer the days before anyone had smartphones. Distracting myself the whole time without realising it makes my mind numb and I'd venture contributes to other peoples minds feeling numb too.

I think you should just embrace your inner spoiled 2017 person.

It's all the rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

hardly ever, i hate the bloody thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Far too much definitely. I use it for work so I'll have it by my side from 7am until about midnight most days, I also get pretty frequent notifications from my work app so will usually glance at it fairly regularly for that too.

That's without even mentioning social media, which although I rarely post on any of them sites and am not even on snapchat etc, I'm a demon for the aul scrolling with that too. NY resolution will definitely be to cut back on that because I'm 100% sure it's a crap habit to have in pretty much every way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Patww79 wrote:

Lol, having a watch with notifications is the same as a phone! :) How many times do you look at the watch?

I turn all notifications off, always on silent, no vibrate and like the freedom of checking it when I want to. Still probably 30 times a day though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Check me Bebo with it, posting 'Pac1Man woz 'ere' on peoplez pages yo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Far too much, it's a sickness and I don't like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

My phone is in the car, I forgot to take it out after work last night.

I play with my phone if I'm waiting say in doctor's surgery or that. It can come in handy, but I'm known for not always having it on me. We're not allowed them in work, so I don't always take it with me, and have gotten out of the habit.

On the other hand, the other half always has accepted phone or two stuck to him.

It's a way not too have to be social in our staff canteen. The older ones, in their sixties, and not so much younger, are attached to their phones and only grunt when they have to. They hide behind them, but each to their own.

I do love the technology of them, always have a Kindle book going on my phone too, but it's not an appendage of me, and those who use them as, well, their problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Gas seeing people saying they hardly ever check their phone like they’re great when they’re using some sort of device to post in this thread :pac: phone, laptop, tablet it’s all the same these days!

Tbf, I'd always use a laptop to do anything online. I really dislike doing that on my phone, it's just so much more awkward, both to read and to type.
    Phone is for calls, texts and photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Depends how busy I am, if I’m alone I’d be plodding about on it a bit.

But if I’m working, out walking or with my kids it’s just a phone again and only use when it rings.

It’s regularly outside in the jeep or in some other room, I’d have to go looking for it when I want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

whenever it rings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

I was seriously addicted to my iPhone so I sold it. Bought a standard mobile for calling and texts just. No internet on it.

Sent from my iPhone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It's the first thing I look at in the morning when I wake up.
    But it is my alarm clock so that's not that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I'm very bad, I'm probably on my phone a good bit of the day.

Although I do read alot of articles on my phone and listen to podcasts so it's not wasted time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I don't always put my phone down and forget about it, but when I do I find it with 6 missed calls and voice mails and texts and emails from people who desperately need to get in contact with me.

I could have the phone beside me all day without a peep from it, as soon as I go out to do stuff to the bike and leave the phone inside it'll be ringing off the hook.

One guy I do work for must think I purposefully ignore his calls, I can't remember the last time he has rang that I actually answered the phone, I always have to ring him back.

I hate being contactable, and hate when I've missed a call and I return it they ask why I missed it, none of your business! If you wanted me to sit at the phone and answer it every time you ring then pay me to be 'on-call'

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Baraics Pollox

I would check my phone a couple of times throughout the day, but can honestly take or leave it.

I'll generally put it on my bedside locker after work and leave it there til morning. The next day, into the pocket it goes and I'll have a look at it when I park up for work. Reply to whatsapp, scroll Instagram, check emails. I'd never think to use it when in the company of another person, in fact it drives me mental when with people and they trail off for a second to check whatever notification they receive.

In the last year or so I've found the "smartphone" to be a fairly depressing piece of technology personally. It's mindless and in ways completely introverts people. A good friend of mine has completely turned inward over the last few years. Being the naturally lazy introverted sort, most interactions now come through an app. Sad really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,822 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'm a nightmare at this and its just habit, I check it for no reason what so ever every 5 minutes or even quicker,
    I really really need to stop it as it even wrecks my head ,

Advertisement