Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The office Christmas party - what to wear

• 26-11-2017 11:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Alright gents. What would ye recommend for a man in his early 30’s to wear for the office Christmas party? It’s in a restaurant and late night bar. I’m clueless with these things. The women are going all out with fake tan, hair, dresses etc etc. Any help appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

My only advice is not to dress in a way which you feel physically awkward/uncomfortable and/or which clearly goes against the person everyone already knows, ie do not suddenly dress like Colin from the Fast Show unless you are a Colin.

colin_800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Maz2016

My only advice is not to dress in a way which you feel physically awkward/uncomfortable and/or which clearly goes against the person everyone already knows, ie do not suddenly dress like Colin from the Fast Show unless you are a Colin.

Ha ha sound advice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Jeans, white shirt, some kind of trendy blazer. The blazer I would usually pick up something cheap from river Island, quality not exactly 5 stars but at 40 quid or so you'll get 4 or 5 wears minimum which represents some value imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Whatever you normally wear on a night out, be yourself and enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

VW 1 wrote: »
    Jeans, white shirt, some kind of trendy blazer. The blazer I would usually pick up something cheap from river Island, quality not exactly 5 stars but at 40 quid or so you'll get 4 or 5 wears minimum which represents some value imo.

Is that you Alan?

Smell my cheese!

• Advertisement

Jeans and Christmas jumper I would've thought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Expert Plumber

Skinny jeans, pointy shoes, tight shirt. Dress smart folks.

Skinny jeans, pointy shoes, tight shirt. Dress smart folks.

Couldn’t think of anything worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭EarlyStorms

Keep it nice and simple. You cant go wrong with a decent shirt, dark indigo jeans, nice boots/shoes and a blazer. You'll pick those items up in any decent shop if you're missing anything. Just make sure the gear fits you well and you'll look the part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Suit up if the woman are making a big effort only fair guys in the work place make a bit of an effort, or go with the fun look of trousers and Christmas jumper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

A chastity belt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Purple ruffled shirt and a cumerbund

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭tevey08

Nice pair of jeans/Chinos, dressy shirt and a trendy blazer. Need to look smart and impress everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

tevey08 wrote:
    Need to look smart and impress everyone.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Alright gents. What would ye recommend for a man in his early 30’s to wear for the office Christmas party? It’s in a restaurant and late night bar. I’m clueless with these things. The women are going all out with fake tan, hair, dresses etc etc. Any help appreciated

You've genuinely no idea what to wear? What do you wear on a daily basis to work, unless your job involves wearing overalls? Ever attended any formal functions in the past, like a wedding/funeral?

Tracksuit and fake tan will suffice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Couldn’t think of anything worse

I thought he was joking

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Why?

Because it's a work party and it's good to impress dress wise and work wise if you want to climb the ladder in that company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

VW 1 wrote: »

4-5 wears?
    Do you just throw away your clothes after 4-5 wears?

4-5 wears?
    Do you just throw away your clothes after 4-5 wears?

I have a lovely blazer from River island that I have about 2 years and it's still in great nick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

tevey08 wrote:
    Because it's a work party and it's good to impress dress wise and work wise if you want to climb the ladder in that company.

Jesus that sounds dreadful, with all these 'ladders' around the place, we must be getting some work done! Society has gone weird! Op, wear whatever you're comfortable in, it's a night out, I.e. time off, just enjoy yourself

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

It really depends on what you normally wear tbh.
    If your workplace is casual don't go wearing something totally out of character, you don't want to stand out (I assume...)

It depends on the venue too, is it a private function or just a general pub ect.

If the ladies are putting in a lot of effort you should too.
    I'd go with the fitted jeans/chino's, a nice shirt and possibly a blazer.
    But I would base that (Blazer) off where you are going tbh

And don't be afraid to ask other lads!!
    If everyone else turns up in Christmas jumpers and you don't it may be a bit awkard
    Like that episode of stranger things :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Black leather jacket
    white teeshirt
    tight jeans
    studded belt
    pair of boots, some neck and wrist accessories

Can't go wrong, you'll be baiting the women off you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I've been going to "work Christmas parties" since I started working some 15 years ago and there has always been one universal, immutable constant to them: while almost all the women look stunning and clearly like they made quite an effort, all the men bar a few look like total shoite.

Usually the telltale sign of this happening starts manifesting itself around 4pm the day of the party - all the ladies disappear to go "get changed at home", while Tom, Dick and Harry just sit at their desks in their "only-worn-a-whole-week" T-Shirt, saying "we'll get a cab from here!".

Don't be Tom, Dick or Harry - go home and get changed into a decently fitting suit; It's not "just another night out", it's a once a year thing.

Unless he showed up in it at the gym for training or to go hiking in the forest, no man has ever been slagged for wearing a suit; A man who makes an effort always stands out from the crowd - you'll be surprised how the simple task of taking 30 minutes to shower and put on a shirt, trousers, jacket and tie combo will attract positive remarks all over.

Ah, that goes unless the only suit you own was from your confirmation, or happens to be canary yellow.

If someone's idea of fun is getting dressed up then bully for them. It ain't mine.

Cheers for all the replies guys. We had the party. As mentioned above, all the ladies were absolutely stunning and did disappear from the office early to get ready. For the men we were all pretty smart too. All bar 2 were in chinos with a smart shirt and jacket. Was quite funny to see how we all had the same idea but thankfully all different colours/ designs etc. As for the other 2 fellas, one wore a suit but quickly lost the tie, and the final guy wore jeans shirt and leather jacket. As mentioned, anything goes really and best treated like a normal night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,519 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A bit late, but anyway...

Wear the face off yer one from Accounts!

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Esel wrote: »
    A bit late, but anyway...

Wear the face off yer one from Accounts!

Probably a bad idea in today's witch hunt environment, apparently a lot of companies are cancelling Xmas parties

Probably a bad idea in today's witch hunt environment, apparently a lot of companies are cancelling Xmas parties

Wait what? Cancelling Christmas parties why?

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Wait what? Cancelling Christmas parties why?

http://time.com/5047475/office-holiday-party-sex-scandals/

• Advertisement

I despair at what humanity is becoming.

Also, in all fairness there's no need for parties nor booze to get in trouble - all you need is to get on the wrong side of someone, they can just say "person X molested me Y months ago", and you'll be ruined career and reputation wise forever, no investigation or process needed - in the age of "information", allegations mean "guilty until proven otherwise". But that's off topic here :)

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I despair at what humanity is becoming.

Also, in all fairness there's no need for parties nor booze to get in trouble - all you need is to get on the wrong side of someone, they can just say "person X molested me Y months ago", and you'll be ruined career and reputation wise forever, no investigation or process needed - in the age of "information", allegations mean "guilty until proven otherwise". But that's off topic here :)

They don't even have to go that far, a simple 'he made me feel uncomfortable'

Don't think it's off topic, men have to be hyper aware in today's environment, an off the cuff remark could end up as '#metoo blabla at Xmas party made me feel uncomfortable'

It's enough to ruin you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

tevey08 wrote: »
    It's not about impressing others - I always like to look smart, but I dress to my liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Nowhere in that article does it say cancelling their parties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

air jordans, ripped jeans and and a supreme t shirt with an off white hoodie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

21Savage wrote: »
    air jordans, ripped jeans and and a supreme t shirt with an off white hoodie.

Diana Ross T-shirt? Fancy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Wear your birthday suit. If you’re in good shape and well endowed you’ll be sure to impress the ladies. :D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Birthday suit goes down well imo

Advertisement