Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental Termination Query

Options
  • 27-11-2017 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm currently a third year student renting in Dublin. I rent with 2 others in a 3 bedroom house. I've been in the house a little over two years while my housemates have been there one and three years. None of us have a formal lease with the landlord. We all pay on the same day each month an amount of 600 euro each. Last week we received a letter from the land lord issuing us all termination notices as he wishes to move his daughter in to the house. As we have been in the house different periods of time we were all issued with different notice periods. I'm ok with moving out but I'm a little confused with what the landlord is saying.

He has communicated via phone (i asked him to put this in an email but he has not done so yet) that he see's us having two different options. If we argue that we are on separate tenancies/leases then as soon as my first housemate moves out he is entitled to move his daughter in to the house. However, if we argue that the 3 of us are on a single lease then as soon as my first housemate moves out myself and my other housemates rent will increase by 300 euro to over the rent of the first housemate that has just moved out. Furthermore, when i move out my other housemate will then be liable to pay the full rent of 1,800 until his notice period is up.

Can you let me know if he is correct? I have done some reading on the RTB website but have struggled to find a situation similar to mine. The landlord has indicated that what he says has been confirmed by the RTB.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

If your paying 1800 a month for the house and you 3 have exclusive use of the house, in the absence of any new lease, the initial lease is the start date of your tenancy.

So I would say your entitled to notice based on a 3 year period at least on that basis

Advertisement