Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl warranty query/problem

Options
  • 27-11-2017 5:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭

Hi

I bought a kettle from Lidl in Sept 2014. In July 2016 the kettle started leaking so I contacted Kompernass (Lidl customer service) and they replaced it like-for-like without a problem.

Just over a year later the same problem (and a new one.....plastic is starting to crumble) occurred again. Contacted Kompernass again but they said that it is no longer covered by warranty. I know that the original 3 year warranty expired but I would have thought that the new kettle would be under warranty.

Am wondering if I have any comeback or do I have to go and buy another kettle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Generally replacement items follow the warranty of the original rather than starting with a fresh warranty. I'd say you need to buy a new kettle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You had a cheap kettle with a three year warranty for three years. You have no claim for extended warranty with the replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rock22

You had a cheap kettle with a three year warranty for three years. You have no claim for extended warranty with the replacement.

It is possible that the corrosion was caused by the OP's water supply. Hard water can result in lime build up which, under certain circumstances, might exacerbate corrosion.
    Agree though that OP is unlikely to have any rights for replacement here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Melendez wrote: »

dont think many reasonable people would agree with you.

the key point here is Goods must be of merchantable quality – goods should be of reasonable quality taking into account what they are meant to do, their durability and their price

now a 1000 euro TV is going to be expected to last longer than a 30 euro kettle!!!

if we take into account the cost of the kettle and the fact any remedy in SCC would depreciated to reflect the 3 years of use. hence OP would get less back , (if he won) than the cost of the claim.

My advice - 3 years is reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Melendez wrote: »

I too have never replaced a kettle because it was faulty but I have a neighbour, with hard water, who goes through one a year. It depends on the circumstances. And, of course, the quality of the appliance in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

The water is quite soft in this area. I think though, that it's just a cheap quality kettle. On both, where the handle unit connects to the main body, the plastic has gone really brittle and started leaking. It's a shame because when new, they were really good and fast boiling.

What I was querying was the replacement kettle - should it not come with a new warranty? Brand new out of the box and 13/14 months later, it fails. Of course it had to happen coming up to xmas when money is tight :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

FanadMan wrote: »
    The water is quite soft in this area. I think though, that it's just a cheap quality kettle. On both, where the handle unit connects to the main body, the plastic has gone really brittle and started leaking. It's a shame because when new, they were really good and fast boiling.

What I was querying was the replacement kettle - should it not come with a new warranty? Brand new out of the box and 13/14 months later, it fails. Of course it had to happen coming up to xmas when money is tight :rolleyes:

No, it doesn't come with a new warranty. If it is a warranty replacement, it is just intended to get you through the remainder of the existing warranty. Anything over that is a bonus. If you want a new warranty you have to buy a new item and pay that fraction of the purchase price that the new warranty costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

FanadMan wrote: »

What I was querying was the replacement kettle - should it not come with a new warranty? Brand new out of the box and 13/14 months later, it fails.

You get warranty on every kettle you paid for. How much money did you hand over for that second kettle?

I say that just to illustrate the point, in general terms a repair or replacement under warranty does not extend your original warranty period. You paid for a kettle and got 3 years warranty, then you were handed another kettle, why would you get 3 years on that one as well?

• Advertisement

Bugger - that's what I was thinking. The warranty expired about 2 months ago. Lidl were really good about replacing the first one - no questions asked, just shipped out replacement. Always found them great like that. Guess it's another bit of bad luck for me this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 69,020 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Your original consumer rights remain - but, for a kettle... its unlikely to have cost vastly more than a small claims court fee (I spent €50 on one and felt a bit silly, but it stainless steel and has survived hard water for longer than most can; I can't easily find a reasonable consumer one for more than €80) and I'd see a judge finding that you had got sufficient use out it at that.

L1011 wrote:
    Your original consumer rights remain - but, for a kettle... its unlikely to have cost vastly more than a small claims court fee (I spent €50 on one and felt a bit silly, but it stainless steel and has survived hard water for longer than most can; I can't easily find a reasonable consumer one for more than €80) and I'd see a judge finding that you had got sufficient use out it at that.

Ah, it's not worth the hassle. It was cheapish so got just over 3 years out of it (and its replacement) so can't really complain.

What I was mainly querying here was if a replacement product came with a new warranty which in Lidl's case would be 3 years. Despite both developing leaks, they were fairly good.

Advertisement