Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry-lining Advice needed

Options
  • 27-11-2017 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi folks,
    We just got a family house in Mount Rivers Carrigaline, old, end terrace 1970 house.
    E1 rated, new boiler system.
    We have a very tight budget. But would love the house dry-lined.

I'm looking to dry-line my sons room first, and the side wall of the house(gable end).
    We have pvc double glazing all over.
    And was wondering, would dry lining just my sons room(for now) see improvements to heating just his room. And would dry lining just the side wall help too, The house is double walled, but no insulation in the cavity.

Also, what would be the cost to dryline a small room, I think the wall is about 32sqm. with a a large window.
    Could someone recommend me a well priced, experienced handyman or plasterer.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

So its a cavity wall with no insulation in it?
    What width of a cavity is there?

You'd be much better off pumping the cavity and focusing on draugh excluding than the hassle of internal dry lining

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ilovepizza

Ive been told to stay away from pumping the cavity. As your bridging the gap between the outwall and inner wall. Which can allow more dampness

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ilovepizza wrote: »
    Ive been told to stay away from pumping the cavity. As your bridging the gap between the outwall and inner wall. Which can allow more dampness

what area of the country are you in?

is your house brick finished?

In carrigaline cork.
    its not really brick finished, it was plastered and painted over the brick.
    But i dont have muhc money to do everything in one go, was hoping to go room by room in drylining if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

If your house is rendered externally this helps reduce this. If you are worried about moisture crossing the cavity, look into the unglued beads.

If your house is brick you could look at a closed cell foam, but to be honest id probably hold back on that.

Drylining is very expensive to do compared to pumping the cavity. (but cheaper than no insulation)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Batc

I am having a real issue at the moment. Have had spray insulation in attic. It has made a big difference upstairs, a small difference downstairs and no difference at all in the single story extension (also had the attic space sprayed in there). Next step is walls and was about to get the foam done but am having second thoughts. Is there any conclusive position on whether or not to fill the cavity?

Im getting more negative feedback on non glued/ non bonded beads. after observing my house, the top half seems to have been rendered, the bottom half not as the bricks are exposed.
    I understand that the original cavity using wool, was bad as it retained moisture. But I just dont understand how filling a cavity will still prevent moisture content from seeping through..

Am I as well to dry line each room. was thinking to dryling my sons room, and the gable end wall, which is the coldest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

Im getting more negative feedback on non glued/ non bonded beads. .

Who is giving you this feedback?

my construction studies I done for 6 years as well case common knowledge in physics(3yrs)(not being rude).
    I saw a video of the beads insulation(ThermaBead) and how it was the best on the market, water proof etc, allows water to pass through it.
    Well, it doesnt, you see them pour the water over the beads, and a considerable amount of water is trapped around the beads, this over time can feed into the internal cavity wall and the beads create a natural bridge for moisture.

England is having huge issues with this at the moment all along the east coast with driving rain. Being in Cork and near the coast we are prone to alot of rain too. But regardless of that the whole thing about a cavity is to not have bridging moisture, I just cant get my head around how the beads wont do that.

Also. Are there any cheap solutions to insulating my sons room. I heard about this thermal wallpaper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement