Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Female referee for mens rugby

• 27-11-2017 11:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

Hi there said I would post this in gentlemen's forum, I am sorry but I think this is ridiculous and a step too far having a female referee reffing a mans game. Be honest lads be sexist on this one, am I right.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭babyhack

You are wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I don't agree with you.

I can't see any issue with it. If the ref is good enough to ref then I can't see gender playing any part. I realise that you're probably stirring but what insights do you think a male would have when reffing males that a female wouldn't have ? Likewise, what insights/advantages would a female ref have for a female game that a male wouldn't have ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭kerryjack

KaneToad wrote: »
    I don't agree with you.

I can't see any issue with it. If the ref is good enough to ref then I can't see gender playing any part. I realise that you're probably stirring but what insights do you think a male would have when reffing males that a female wouldn't have ? Likewise, what insights/advantages would a female ref have for a female game that a male wouldn't have ?
    Not stirring at all concerned nobody is shouting stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

My only issue is that female referees are required to have the same fitness requirements as male referees.

If this is the case and I believe it is I would have no issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

why shout stop?

As long as the ref is good enough, who cares about gender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Why would you possibly have an issue with this?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

kerryjack wrote: »
    Not stirring at all concerned nobody is shouting stop.

Did you see that a female referee won ref of the year?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Why would anyone shout stop? :confused:

We have teachers, doctors, Gardaí, TDs, judges, shopkeepers, farmers, psychologists, barbers, taxi drivers, etc. Why not have female referees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Hi there said I would post this in gentlemen's forum, I am sorry but I think this is ridiculous and a step too far having a female referee reffing a mans game. Be honest lads be sexist on this one, am I right.

What an absolutely ridiculous statement. I refereed alongside Joy and the amount of work that she has done to get to where she is at now is outstanding. Also being awarded the women’s rugby World Cup Final earlier this year is testament to her talents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

If she ( and it's down to the individual ) can do the job as well as anyone - grand, bit of a change anyway

a mans game....

crowd of lads mud wrestling ? lol

it's just a game

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Did you see that a female referee won ref of the year?

I presume this is why he is posting. Congratulations to Joy Neville on her award and congratulations to her on refereeing three men's internationals this autumn.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I presume this is why he is posting. Congratulations to Joy Neville on her award and congratulations to her on refereeing three men's internationals this autumn.

Agreed great achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

Just curious - do you also think it's ridiculous having male referees in women's rugby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

My only issue is that female referees are required to have the same fitness requirements as male referees.

Ha! Do you really think so little of women's athleticism that you don't think they could keep up with men while refereeing? Have you seen the size of some of the umpires at GAA matches???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Hi there said I would post this in gentlemen's forum, I am sorry but I think this is ridiculous and a step too far having a female referee reffing a mans game. Be honest lads be sexist on this one, am I

What's your beef with it like?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

panda100 wrote: »
    Ha! Do you really think so little of women's athleticism that you don't think they could keep up with men while refereeing? Have you seen the size of some of the umpires at GAA matches???
    Exactly. The role hardly requires Ironman triathlon levels of fitness. You have to be fit of course, but nowhere close to the gender difference in fitness/strength levels at high level sports. Fair play to her for winning the ref of the year.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

Cant see the problem to be honest. Its not like she will be in showering away with the lads in the dressing rooms.

As long as she can keep the pace (which she clearly can) and officiates over the game with fairness and in accordance with the rules of the sport, who cares if its a female or a man.

We don't need them, enough of good reffs with out them.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Next thing they'll be letting the homosexuals referee. When will it stop?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I don't know about gaa at all. I don't follow the sport. My only concern is that the fitness requirements for the referees are the same no matter the gender.

In professional rugby referees are required to pass strict fitness tests and the women take the same tests as the men if they want to referee men's matches. It's not an easy pass for any one.

In soccer for example the fitness tests are spelled out here

https://www.dutchreferee.com/fifa-fitness-test-for-referees/

• Advertisement

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Next thing they'll be letting the homosexuals referee. When will it stop?

You're a few years behind on that one :pac:

We don't need them, enough of good reffs with out them.

Joy is better than some of the (male) Refs in the Pro 14 at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Stheno wrote: »
    You're a few years behind on that one :pac:
    I'd have assumed it was sarcasm since the best known rugby referee in the Northern Hemisphere at least is openly gay...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

You clearly don't watch much rugby then. Have you seen how poor some pro14 referees are?

This is a mindless thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

Concept: 3/5
    I gave you three points because sport is an emotive topic, tends to get lads backs up, and rugby is topical at the moment. Nicely timed attempt. Also with women's rugby in the headlines for poor funding and the argument of Sevens versus Union on a global scale - it's topical. Also Joy Neville's award recently (only realised that reading this thread!)

Content:1/5
    Really poor attempt to draw the reader in. No anecdotal evidence? No "I heard down the pub"? I would have at least expected a negative reference to women's rugby abilities. I'm afraid this is where you really fell short and lost points. Only one paragraph, poor syntax... No real passion oozing out from your complaint.

Execution: 0/5
    Posting at 10:30 on a Monday morning was a mistake. Perhaps you should have waited until later? More site traffic. Also, your line "C'mon lads you can be as sexist as you like" - that old baited line! Seasoned sexists such as yourself ;) will have seen that as a trap. Subtlety, my friend.

Total: 1/5

Overall, if this is your first wind up attempt I'd say there's potential there to turn into another EOTR, which bodes well for Boards' future. I wish you all the best with your career!

I am not winding up its just a discussion we are having and I have been honest and I said I don't like it, I also don't like women boxing, looks like I am on my own on this one and and thats fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I am not winding up its just a discussion we are having and I have been honest and I said I don't like it, I also don't like women boxing, looks like I am on my own on this one and and thats fair enough.
    "I don't like" isn't a good enough reason to stop anyone else doing it.

If you don't like it, then don't watch it.

If you want others to not do it, then you're going to have to come up with actual logical arguments.

There is no fitness argument. It's not like they need to be able to run a 2-hour marathon, or wrestle people to the ground, to ref a rugby game. Half of the game is standing around anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

A woman is as entirely capable of refereeing a mens' match as a man.

I fail entirely to see the conceptual difficulty with a woman refereeing a mens' match. Maybe the wonderment turns on the relative cultural novelty of the concept.

A few years ago I saw a visiting lady referee from England in charge of a fairly vigorous match in the Belfield Bowl. She was even smaller than either scrum half ! Her control of the match was solid but not in a bossy way. She made good decisions, retained complete authority and the players gave her no trouble. It was also most entertaining as the players didn't seem to know how to get mouthy with her :D

Well played Joy Neville....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

I can't see any issue at all.

It's not like the referees are physically involved with tackling guys. They have to be fairly fast, observant, understand the rules, be fair, able to deal with people on the pitch and fairly light on their feet.

A lot of male refs wouldn't necessarily be physically anywhere near as strong as the players. It doesn't stop them reffing.

A lot of female rugby players could also floor your average guy (including quite a few rugby players).

I don't see any reason why a woman couldn't ref a male game or a man ref a female game.

The notion that women are some kind of delicate flowers is a bit ridiculous.

• Advertisement

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    A woman is as entirely capable of refereeing a men's match as a man.

I fail entirely to see the conceptual difficulty with a woman refereeing a men's match. Maybe the wonderment turns on the relative cultural novelty of the concept.

A few years ago I saw a visiting lady referee from England in charge of a fairly vigorous match in the Belfield Bowl. She was even smaller than either scrum half ! Her control of the match was solid but not in a bossy way. She made good decisions, retained complete authority and the players gave her no trouble. It was also most entertaining as the players didn't seem to know how to get mouthy with her :D

Well played Joy Neville....

I saw a video recently of a player giving her lip and then said "Sorry Sir" and then said sorry for calling her Sir. For the life of me i cant find it now. I thought it was funny. Someone subsequently asked her about it on Twitter and she just responded by saying she doesn't care what they call her.

I say fair play to her. Fellas have reff'd female matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Meh. Sure on Star Trek they made "sir" just a gender neutral mark of respect.

For some reason mam sounds like you’re talking to your mammy, especially in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Welcome to 1917, OP. The rest of us are living in the 21st century...

From what I can see, one poster has agreed with you. Sure, I suppose every town has its idiot....

exaisle wrote: »
    Welcome to 1917, OP. The rest of us are living in the 21st century...

From what I can see, one poster has agreed with you. Sure, I suppose every town has its idiot....

I don't see any agreement.

The most vaguely supportive comment was me saying that as long as they pass the same fitness tests as male referees (which are stringent and not particularly easy) it's only a good thing.

I hope you don't read this to mean I agree with the op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Women often seem to have lower physical fitness requirements for jobs.
    Unless you think women can't meet the same physical fitness requirements as men I don't see why you would object to them being subject to the same requirements.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

exaisle wrote: »
    Dial back on the "idiot" stuff. People are allowed have opinions, attack the opinion, not the poster .

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Exactly. The role hardly requires Ironman triathlon levels of fitness. You have to be fit of course, but nowhere close to the gender difference in fitness/strength levels at high level sports. Fair play to her for winning the ref of the year.
    Umpires don't move much. The levels of fitness required in the Gardai are on a far lower scale again yet women get special dispensation there.

But yeah, once they're in shape and can keep up with the play at the higher levels there's no issue with what's between their legs (or however they choose to define their gender :pac: ) as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Why is it a step too far? What is the part of it that is a step too far for you? Is it simply that it's a woman? Or is there some other factor at play? Are you OK with Nigel Owens refereeing matches, or should openly gay men not referee either? What about black or Asian refs? Where exactly do you draw the line as to what is acceptable to you?

Thanks for the discussion guys Its no big deal on the large scheme of things maybe I don't like change and don't see the need for change nothing against women like the old saying goes you spend nine months trying to get out and the rest of your life trying to get back in , I apologize if I have offended any one with that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

No it's fine if she is fit enough and knows the laws of Rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I don’t like people starting dopey threads, but hey, it’s a free country. Fire ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Joy, loses on two counts so, she's both female and openly gay.
    We'll be in right fix once transgender becomes the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

Tefral wrote: »
    Cant see the problem to be honest. Its not like she will be in showering away with the lads in the dressing rooms.

As long as she can keep the pace (which she clearly can) and officiates over the game with fairness and in accordance with the rules of the sport, who cares if its a female or a man.

Nothing wrong with a woman showering with the lads, but a reff a a high level would more than likely have a shower room of their own or at least a sink, as otherwise it would be seen as a partisan forming fraternisation. IMO

lalababa wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with a woman showering with the lads,

I actually think there is an issue with this statement. This most certainly would not be allowed the other way around.

Equal means equal...

Tefral wrote: »
    I actually think there is an issue with this statement. This most certainly would not be allowed the other way around.

Equal means equal...
    Lads I am prepared to do my duty and referee women's rugby even if I must shower with the team afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

There is absolutely no issue whatsoever. In recent years there have been plenty of women officials at LOI matches, and gender has absolutely no relevance to the job at hand. Can you point to anything specific, at all, to support your opinion? Have you any first hand experience whatsoever of sports with a woman official?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

What a very strange thing to have an issue against!

Kerryjack she's pretty as a picture, fit as a fiddle,smart as a whip, strong as horse, tough as nails and gay as Christmas. She isn't some dolly bird from Essex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Pretty, fit, gay, dolly bird. Fiddle, whip, nail. Sex. Christ!

• Advertisement
Advertisement