Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Female referee for mens rugby

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Hoboo wrote: »
    Pretty, fit, gay, dolly bird. Fiddle, whip, nail. Sex. Christ!
    Rugby boy Rugby! What did Orwell say about Twickenham?

kerryjack wrote: »
    I don't like it, I also don't like women boxing

You have jumped there from a woman being the referee of one type of sport - to women being the active participant in another kind of sport.

To understand that jump I have to ask - what is your position on women _playing_ rugby? Do you have issues with that too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Rugby boy Rugby! What did Orwell say about Twickenham?

I have no idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I don’t care about the gender of the refs. By the time you get to pro rugby the standard of refereeing is actually very high. Very few glaringly bad decisions and the TMO clears up some really marginal calls.

The biggest factor at that level isn’t just implementing the rules, it’s about the referee communicating with the players so they know exactly what they will get away with and what they will get penalised for.

The objective is to not have to penalise players by maintaining strict control over the players do they play within the rules. Nigel Owen is one of the best refs and his games are better to watch because of his approach. If joy or any ref can make the games better then I don’t care about their gender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Who cares what gender or age a ref is.

If they are good at their role, know the rules and are fair that is all that counts.

Recently seen a 15 year old boy umpire a ladies hockey game and having to send a lady off as she would did no heed his warning about back chat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Reminds me of my granny. Loves rugby and GAA, but every time (and I mean every time, for the past however many years) that blonde sports news presenter on RTÉ, Jackie something, comes on the telly she starts scowling about how it's not right and she can't take her seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭kerryjack

You have jumped there from a woman being the referee of one type of sport - to women being the active participant in another kind of sport.

To understand that jump I have to ask - what is your position on women _playing_ rugby? Do you have issues with that too?
    No interest in it couldn't watch it women weren't designed for boxing or playing rugby and yes I have a daughter myself I certainly wouldn't encourage her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Your spelling threw me off. Jacqui Hurley, a good Cork woman.
    Having played as a prop, I don't think I was designed either for a big second row, to put his hand up between my legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I don't see any agreement.

The most vaguely supportive comment was me saying that as long as they pass the same fitness tests as male referees (which are stringent and not particularly easy) it's only a good thing.

I hope you don't read this to mean I agree with the op.

No..I was referring to the OP agreeing with himself....hence the town/idiot comment... :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Hi there said I would post this in gentlemen's forum, I am sorry but I think this is ridiculous and a step too far having a female referee reffing a mans game. Be honest lads be sexist on this one, am I right.

I've reffed with Helen O'Reilly......an outstanding official, and it's easy to see why she's gone on to the higher levels of officiating. Learned a lot from watching her and listening to her.

Officiating isn't about gender, it's about positioning, player/team management, game reading, fleetness of thought and personal resilience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

women weren't designed for boxing or playing rugby

have you seen the blueprints? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Gijoseph

Don't know why anyone would have a problem with this. A ref needs to be judged on merit and not on gender.

Not sure he specifically does have a problem with this - so much as a general problem with women in specific areas of sport at all. That is why I asked the question I did about women's rugby. His answer to that tells us everything we need to know about his general attitude to women and sport.

Further his answer indicates to me a more general ignorance of the sport of rugby. One of the things I like most about rugby is the diversity of body shapes and types in it. It is a sport that has a position on the field for a real diversity of body forms. From the heavy built tanks up the front - to the taller faster thinner backs - to the often relatively tiny little person doing scrum half.

So to paint a whole gender (women) as "weren't designed for rugby" shows a deep ignorance of the sport in the first place. And in fact I have spent a lot of time watching women's rugby and it is a wonderful sport to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Not sure he specifically does have a problem with this - so much as a general problem with women in specific areas of sport at all. That is why I asked the question I did about women's rugby. His answer to that tells us everything we need to know about his general attitude to women and sport.

Further his answer indicates to me a more general ignorance of the sport of rugby. One of the things I like most about rugby is the diversity of body shapes and types in it. It is a sport that has a position on the field for a real diversity of body forms. From the heavy built tanks up the front - to the taller faster thinner backs - to the often relatively tiny little person doing scrum half.

So to paint a whole gender (women) as "weren't designed for rugby" shows a deep ignorance of the sport in the first place. And in fact I have spent a lot of time watching women's rugby and it is a wonderful sport to watch.

The other point about rugby is that players have respect for officials* drilled in from an early age. So gender doesn't come into it - the ref is the ref and you respect that, or your team mates will sort you out for coughing up stupid infringements :)

Players value an official who knows the game, operates at or above their level of fitness and extends them the same respect they are expected to to extend to officials. And by 'knows the game' I mean knows the laws and how to officiate properly - it doesn't follow that good players make good refs, reffing is a discipline in its own right. All those things are independent of gender.

*have a listen to how soccer and GAA players talk to officials and how rugby players do......anyone watching the ABs last week against Wales would have heard the AB's when talking to Wayne Barnes call him 'sir.'

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LogicusRex

Unlike many sports rugby referees are generally respected. I never heard of one being put in the boot of car for example.
    A ref needs a current knowledge of the laws and a good level of physical fitness to keep up with the play. Medium height or taller would be an advantage to see more.
    I see nothing to preclude the ladies there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I worked with a guy a few years ago who once said he didn't like it when women had an opinion about soccer, or had any interest in it. When pressed he couldn't explain why, just that it didn't seem right. And he wasn't an auld fella set in his ways. Early 30s so there is definitely a few people out there like that. Seems bizarre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sounds to me like the same kind of thought process that used to believe that women were incapable of running marathons because of their physiology and went so far as to ban them from it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Hi there said I would post this in gentlemen's forum, I am sorry but I think this is ridiculous and a step too far having a female referee reffing a mans game. Be honest lads be sexist on this one, am I right.
    I do not agree - if the person (male or female) is up to the job, then what's the problem??? Sure there was a time when female sports commentators were extremely rare, but nowadays one would hardly notice. Now, I am very conscious of men's rights, but your post is bordering on misogyny IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Ok guys that was last weeks news lets all move on and we will give them a clap in the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Hands off the ref!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Second Yellow

After reading the questions posed at the beginning of the thread, I'm glad to see that nobody seems to agree with him.

Advertisement