Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Patrick O'Mathuna has passed away

Options
  • 27-11-2017 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭

Dr Patrick O'Mathuna of Castlemill Medical Centre passed away suddenly at home last night, according to a sign on the door of his clinic today.
    Terrible news, I have used him a number of times and he seemed a decent man.

May he rest in peace.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I knew him a little and always seemed a nice guy.
    Condolences to his family and may he rest in peace.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That is heartbreaking:(((
    he is the best GP we ever had, he was brilliant.
    Do you know what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

I was his patient for over 5 years..knew him in person as well...he will be greatly missed....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Went to him only the once. Spent about 5mins with the actual diagnosis and about 40mins chatting away about stocks, books, IT, Canada, movies.
    A really lovely man by all accounts.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lenny47

Very sad to hear about this, he was a really great doctor.

However I now have a problem. I have a long and complex medical history that I urgently need to get my hands on, have any other patients managed to get their records back or transferred successfully? Initially I was told a replacement GP was being put in place, but the centre is now closed and the phone line isn't working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Movinhouse

Hi Lenny47,

Also seeking medical records from castlemill medical centre. Have you made any progress? am going to visit my new doctor this week to request records

Lenny47 wrote: »
    Very sad to hear about this, he was a really great doctor.

However I now have a problem. I have a long and complex medical history that I urgently need to get my hands on, have any other patients managed to get their records back or transferred successfully? Initially I was told a replacement GP was being put in place, but the centre is now closed and the phone line isn't working.

I understand from doing some research online that the executor of the will is the person who has some responsibility for the medical records of a deceased doctor. if you visit /contact the probate office in smithfield you may be able to find out who this is and perhaps it would then be possible to get a solictor to write a letter to request records. I saw on another forum that someone had been advised to get a court order to access the records at castlemill medical centre. I am hoping to resolve this as simply and quickly as possible.

We are also in urgent need of records as we are applying for life insurance for a new mortgage

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Movinhouse, tell the insurance company straight what the issues are and they will organise a medical for you instead.

Thanks will do re medical. We have been very honest in the paperwork. We are going to ask new gp to request all paperwork from consultants too as my partner was in the process of getting diagnosed with a serious but very treatable illness when the surgery cloeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hair Bear

Movinhouse wrote: »
    Thanks will do re medical. We have been very honest in the paperwork. We are going to ask new gp to request all paperwork from consultants too as my partner was in the process of getting diagnosed with a serious but very treatable illness when the surgery cloeed.

Hi, Like others I had to move doctor and that new surgery asked me to sign a "request for medical records form" to get my medical notes transferred. I explained to the new surgery the issue of the closed Castlemill offices. They just advised that I wait and see what happens.

Dr Patrick O'Mathuna RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gct

Is there any news on the medical centre re-opening? Don't know whether I should wait it out or go to a new Doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

Posted on Facebook (Connecting Balbriggan page)

Collection of Medical Records Castlemill Medical Centre Balbriggan

The collection of Medical Records will be available for Collection on Wed 9th of May,Thurs the 10th of May, Fri 11th of May between 11.30 am-12.30 pm. You will need proof of identification to recieve the medical records, Social Welfare Card, Passport, or Drivers licenses are all acceptable pieces of identification. Parents can collect their childrens medical records if the child is under 18yrs of age.

If for any reason your file is not ready, you can fill out a request form for your file with your contact number so you can be contacted on, once your file has been located, we can then arrange with you for it to be collected or forwarded on to your doctor.

If it is not suitable for a person to collect their file because of work etc, you can send in a signed letter with someone who is collecting their own file with your details that is Name,DOB,address and contact number and a proof of identification. Once your file has been located we will contact you and you and you can let us know where to forward to file onto.

We have received a high volume of requests for files to be sent to your doctors surgery, which are all being dealt at present and are being forwarded on.

We appreciate everyone's patience at this particular time, and we hope to get everyone's medical records to them as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 carla643

Hi, I wasn't aware of the days to collect your redical records from Castlemill Medical Centre. Does anyone know how to get them now. I've phoned HSE and Irish Medical council and because he was a private doctor they do not know of any way to obtain the records.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭DublinHun72

I am not on Facebook where it seems people seen the details of certain times to collect records. Any update you get would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gct

The unveiling of a memorial bench takes place on Thursday evening for Dr. Patrick.
    https://www.balbriggan.info/events/dr-patrick-omathuna-memorial-bench-unveiling-take-place-balbriggan/

Nice to see, there have been far too many tragic deaths of GP's in the area.

Advertisement