Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm Companies.

Options
  • 27-11-2017 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Can I ask the good people on here their experiences getting an alarm company to quote?
    I've been told that my application for another gun won't be considered until there is an alarm fitted, and checked by the CPO.

Are half of these one man companies con artists?

I have rang four so far.

First one never responded to calls and voice messages.
    Second one never answered either landline or mobile. I left several messages but no call back. I then applied for quote via their Facebook page, but no response. 3 days later I left negative feedback, and it was removed within hours.
    Third one called back after several calls and leaving messages. His call got dropped, and when I rang back it went to voicemail.
    He left a message saying he'd call back, as he was in a bad area. That was Friday morning, no call since.

Finally today I called a company who seem to want to sell an alarm system! Coming out tomorrow to quote.
    Is this normal? Are they mostly cowboys?
    If they won't answer the phone when you want to buy a system, what hope is there of helping you if a problem arises?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭minktrapper

A lot of electrician's do alarm systems too.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭SureHowBad

PhoneWatch are top class but at €40 odd euro a month not the cheapest! Having said that they put in monitored smoke and carbon dioxide alarms as well if you want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Hack12

They all have to be registered to I think the PSA. You may not require a monitired alarm depending on the number of guns you have. If you are planning on getting more or some restricted it is best just to take the pain now. There was a company fitting for free but you had to sign a contract for 2 or 3 years. I am not sure of the monthly repayment but worth a google

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

SureHowBad wrote: »
    PhoneWatch are top class but at €40 odd euro a month not the cheapest! Having said that they put in monitored smoke and carbon dioxide alarms as well if you want them.

This couldn't be further from the truth with regard to quality of product or workmanship. Yes there monitoring is good but no better than any other monitoring service.

OP all contractors have to be registered with the NSAI so best to use one of those. There are plenty of sparks that will do it for you but you may run into difficulties further down the road if you want to get it monitored etc. they're clamping down very hard on unregistered companies.

Also any company can set up your house alarm to be monitored it isn't unique to phone watch. What is unique is their eagerness to install wireless sensors everywhere. Those boys don't like pulling in cables and generally tend to ignore wiring already in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 r65

Hi again. They rang back to say their tech. was in the area, so he has just been.
    At last a bit of service!
    Going to email a quote this evening. Using existing wiring as much as possible, plus anti shock sensors on Windows. InfraRed motion detectors on 3 areas plus contacts on doors.
    Alert to 3 different mobiles plus controlled from my phone via broadband

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Hack12

Chack Garda site for secure firearms legislation (or google). Make sure you get the correct security for the firearms you have or want in the future. GPS vs analogue etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Sounds like any other Irish company we are supposed to chase them and be grateful when they contact us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Crimewatch are excellent.

Offices in Wexford and Kilkenny, but travel nationwide. Never had any problems and they were always prompt when calling out for maintenance.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

They are anything but “top class” in my opinion. Have a read of dozens of posts here to get some idea of the many issues so many customers have had:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1366

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

OP if you want a recommendation and live in Leinster send me a PM.
    I am not an alarm installer but have firearms and know a very good installer.

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    This couldn't be further from the truth with regard to quality of product or workmanship. Yes there monitoring is good but no better than any other monitoring service.

OP all contractors have to be registered with the NSAI so best to use one of those. There are plenty of sparks that will do it for you but you may run into difficulties further down the road if you want to get it monitored etc. they're clamping down very hard on unregistered companies.

Also any company can set up your house alarm to be monitored it isn't unique to phone watch. What is unique is their eagerness to install wireless sensors everywhere. Those boys don't like pulling in cables and generally tend to ignore wiring already in place.

Surprised at the negative feedback here, IMO they have offered me nothing but an excellent service, from installation to monitoring. The monitoring is TOP CLASS to the point where if you the alarm is set off and you don't respond the Gardai are notified and call to the house. To me this offers massive piece of mind. But look sure you will always have two sides to every story....

Surprised at the negative feedback here, IMO they have offered me nothing but an excellent service, from installation to monitoring. The monitoring is TOP CLASS to the point where if you the alarm is set off and you don't respond the Gardai are notified and call to the house. To me this offers massive piece of mind. But look sure you will always have two sides to every story....

That isn't actually true. the guards will only be notified once the alarm has been triggered one sensor and then a subsequent sensor goes off (so think door sensor and PIR).

Most reputable companies offer that; I wouldn't go with phonewatch after experiences with them regarding maintenance and call outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 r65

Thanks to those who PM'ed me with helpful advice, I might be making a bit of progress!

Surprised at the negative feedback here, IMO they have offered me nothing but an excellent service, from installation to monitoring.

Here is a taste of the more recent threads about the PhoneWatch alarm systems:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057813225

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057593414

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057807240

You know that customers no longer own these systems, they now rent them?

ezra_ wrote: »
    That isn't actually true. the guards will only be notified once the alarm has been triggered one sensor and then a subsequent sensor goes off (so think door sensor and PIR).

Most reputable companies offer that; I wouldn't go with phonewatch after experiences with them regarding maintenance and call outs.

I don't know where you got this idea but when my alarm is set off, one sensor or otherwise, I'm phoned by PhoneWatch. If they don't make contact with me or I tell them that I'm not at home the guards are notified. As I said earlier I'm only giving my experience of them. I have no doubt there are plenty of other very good reputable companies supplying the same service, but i'm with PhoneWatch and can't fault them to be honest, that's my experience...

2011 wrote: »
    Here is a taste of the more recent threads about the PhoneWatch alarm systems:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057813225

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057593414

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057807240

You know that customers no longer own these systems, they now rent them?

To be fair 2 of the 3 links you show are people quibbling over contracts. You'll have the same ****e whether you're dealing with a mobile phone company, electricity supplier etc. All part of the course if you don't read the fine print.

The first thread is showing a salesman misselling the product; stick up a thread on this and you'll see the raft of different people who have been missold products from all different companies in all walks of life, reputable ones and all :rolleyes:

I don't know where you got this idea but when my alarm is set off, one sensor or otherwise, I'm phoned by PhoneWatch. If they don't make contact with me or I tell them that I'm not at home the guards are notified. As I said earlier I'm only giving my experience of them. I have no doubt there are plenty of other very good reputable companies supplying the same service, but i'm with PhoneWatch and can't fault them to be honest, that's my experience...

I got it from the guards - they won't take a call from the monitoring company unless there have been two sensors going off.

This was confirmed by two monitoring companies.

Just checked this on the Alarm forum here on boards and it is confirmed by the people there.

Seems like more of the usual from phonewatch...

I don't know where you got this idea

Garda policy on intruder alarms, read it yourself:

http://www.isia.ie/sites/go2isiasite/files/Garda%20Alarm%20Policy%2009%2009%2008_1.pdf

To be fair 2 of the 3 links you show are people quibbling over contracts.

There are many, many threads on the alarm forum with people complaining about PW alarms. More complaints than any other company, I just selected a few recent one. Have a look yourself.

Apart fom the fact that the customers no longer own the systems (they rent them) most have no perimiter protection so have to be switched off when the occupants are home. They also have fake bell boxes, making them easier to defeat. I could go on and on....
    Don’t take my word for it, ask the professionals on the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

I'm not sure if I would describe them as top class, we had the alarm go off one night and they rang .... about 2 hours later, to see if everything was ok !

Also, FYI, I'm paying them €31.78 per month (incl. vat), so there is a cheaper rate than the one you are paying ... still complete robbery and I intend to look for alternatives next renewal, as it's money for old rope for them and definitely too expensive for the little they do across the 12 month period.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm not sure if I would describe them as top class, we had the alarm go off one night and they rang .... about 2 hours later, to see if everything was ok !

Also, FYI, I'm paying them €31.78 per month (incl. vat), so there is a cheaper rate than the one you are paying ... still complete robbery and I intend to look for alternatives next renewal, as it's money for old rope for them and definitely too expensive for the little they do across the 12 month period.

If you need any assistance with this please come over to us on the Home Security Forum and we will give you best advice.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1366

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

With regard to Phone watch, well they do their thing but they have to abide to standards the same way as we all do, calling Gardai out to an alarm system that has transmitted an unverified alarm activation, ie from a single sensor is against Garda alarm response criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

You need to face facts and if your alarm doesn't ring In side and outside the house and doesn't have shock and contacts on all doors and windows at least and a BACK UP of a motion detector or two then it's not an alarm .

Most people would expect an alarm to endevor to keep a burglar out of there house not let them break in before the alarm goes off. Also dummy bellboxs where designed for the rear of a house and an active live ringing bellbox to the front is what is normal and the fact that the Phonewatch alarm panel is unable to have a ringing bellbox is a joke .It's like buying a Ferrari without an engine. And plugging in the panel into a socket is hardly engineering.
    Also GSM monitoring with most small IRISH companies is €17 to €25 a month. And you get a proper choice of systems available in the marketplace better that being a one trick pony .

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭SakoHunter75

I've just been reading up on this, as I have a Yale DIY alarm system but it's often on the blink and I'm starting to think I need to get a more serious system (I have 3 hunting rifles in the house). I was talking to someone in Phonewatch earlier, but after reading the previous poster's comments I'm far from convinced.

Rather than continue on with the debate about Phonewatch, can others say which systems/companies they've settled on, and why?

I'm in a rural location with a couple of other houses within earshot, so I'd like to have an outside bellbox that rings, and sensors on all windows and doors would be good too. I'd rather not have to chase all the walls for cables though if that can be avoided.

I'm a fan of crimewatch. They know their stuff, their support is great and their wireless alarms are good.

However, find a company that is local to you and has good reviews - especially when it comes to support and monitoring

ezra_ wrote: »
    I'm a fan of crimewatch. They know their stuff, their support is great and their wireless alarms are good.

However, find a company that is local to you and has good reviews - especially when it comes to support and monitoring

Cheers ezra. When you say has good reviews, where would you look for those reviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

At the minute a HKC system is about the best. And has various levels of monitoring e.g.
    None,
    Basic, can send alerts to numerous mobile phones and can be controlled through an app on your phone this facility incurs a yearly fee. A camera can also be connected so you can see on your phone when the alarm activates
    and
    Full, all of the above but connected to a monitoring station with the added facility of notification to you if the system fails to report to the station within 30mins i think.
    Not a fan of phonewatch.
    Where anouts in the country are you.

solarwinds wrote: »
    At the minute a HKC system is about the best. And has various levels of monitoring e.g.
    None,
    Basic, can send alerts to numerous mobile phones and can be controlled through an app on your phone this facility incurs a yearly fee. A camera can also be connected so you can see on your phone when the alarm activates
    and
    Full, all of the above but connected to a monitoring station with the added facility of notification to you if the system fails to report to the station within 30mins i think.
    Not a fan of phonewatch.
    Where anouts in the country are you.

Thanks for the reply, I'm in West Cork. What's HKC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

The make of the system. Sorry i know no one down there into alarms. But im sure someone does.

Advertisement