Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm Companies.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

HKC is just one of many Manufacturers.
    Others include
    Siemens Vanderbilt
    Global Security Devices (GSD)
    Risco
    Visonic
    Pyronix
    GE UTC (Aritech)

Just posting for information.Not posting in any order of preference & not commercially linked to any of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Hkc imo are the best.... I have the hkc quantum installed and it's brilliant, great piece of mind. You can remote monitor the alarm from your phone so you can arm and disarm when needed and much more

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

pm. wrote: »
    Hkc imo are the best.... I have the hkc quantum installed and it's brilliant, great piece of mind. You can remote monitor the alarm from your phone so you can arm and disarm when needed and much more

Nothing special about those features. They are pretty standard across most systems. The difference is that HKC are the only ones that don't offer this as a free feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hi all, I recently got a quote for a system. It's as follows.

Install 1 X Control panel at the fuse board.

Install 1 X keypad at the front door.

Install 1 X Wireless shock-contact sensor on the front door.

Install 1 X Wireless shock-contact sensor on the back door.

Install 1 X Wired motion sensor in the hall.

Install 1 X Wired motion sensor in the kitchen.

Install 1 X Wired motion sensor in the living room.

Install 1 X Wired motion sensor in the bedroom.

Install 1 X Wired motion sensor in front room.

Install 1 X internal sounder in the utility room.

Install 1 X External bell box on the front of the house.

Connect the system to the broadband for monitoring and control using smart phones.

Cost:                                      €845.00

How does this sound to you guys?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Nekarsulm wrote: »

This can be a poor location depending on how easy it is for an intruder to locate.

You appear to be lacking a lot of perimeter protection as only the back and front doors seem to be picked up. No doubt you have a number of accessible windows.

These are all good but remember:
    1) All motion detectors need to be disarmed when you are in the home. Once they are off you are very vulnerable as the perimeter protection is severally lacking.
    2) These can only be activated by an intruder that is already in your home.

Motion detectors in my opinion should only be used in addition to comprehensive perimeter protection.

Note: HKC also make motion detectors with built in cameras. These units will send a 3 shot burst of photos to their app.

Good. A functioning bell box is very important.
    Connect the system to the broadband for monitoring and control using smart phones.

Grand unless the broadband goes down. It is always best to have multiple comms paths.
    €845.00

Not too bad.

I would recommend adding a shock sensor and contact to your gun safe. This can be added to a dedicated 24 hour zone that requires a separate 6 digit code. Again, easy to do with a HKC alarm.

For the record, other than family I do not install alarms systems anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭freddieot

Motion sensors tell you someone is in your home. Contacts and particularly vibration sensors tell they are trying to get in...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

r65 wrote: »
    Can I ask the good people on here their experiences getting an alarm company to quote?
    I've been told that my application for another gun won't be considered until there is an alarm fitted, and checked by the CPO.

Are half of these one man companies con artists?

I have rang four so far.

First one never responded to calls and voice messages.
    Second one never answered either landline or mobile. I left several messages but no call back. I then applied for quote via their Facebook page, but no response. 3 days later I left negative feedback, and it was removed within hours.
    Third one called back after several calls and leaving messages. His call got dropped, and when I rang back it went to voicemail.
    He left a message saying he'd call back, as he was in a bad area. That was Friday morning, no call since.

Finally today I called a company who seem to want to sell an alarm system! Coming out tomorrow to quote.
    Is this normal? Are they mostly cowboys?
    If they won't answer the phone when you want to buy a system, what hope is there of helping you if a problem arises?

Buy a wireless monitor alarm yourself and install it, eircom watch etc are a waste of money,do it yourself,simple to do

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

A buddy of mine was told by Garda that only a system installed & monitored by a PSA registered company would be acceptable. He wanted to put in a DIY system.

Hi all, I recently got a quote for a system. It's as follows.

Install 1 X keypad at the front door.

Cost:                                      €845.00

How does this sound to you guys?

It would also help to know what system he is quoting you for, but as already said,internal motion protection only is useless. You should be looking at covering all accessible points of entry with sensors & contacts & then have one or two internal motion sensors to verify an alarm.
    A buddy of mine was told by Garda that only a system installed & monitored by a PSA registered company would be acceptable. He wanted to put in a DIY system.
    I think the Guard means for central station monitoring with Garda response.

KoolKid wrote: »
    I think the Guard means for central station monitoring with Garda response.

Would a central station monitoring service have to be PSA licenced?

• Advertisement

ezra_ wrote: »
    I got it from the guards - they won't take a call from the monitoring company unless there have been two sensors going off.

This was confirmed by two monitoring companies.

and by two sensors they mean internal sensors not windows or doors, internal as in PIRs, you are wasting good money paying a company to monitor your alarm

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Would a central station monitoring service have to be PSA licenced?

Yes, but this is generally not required.
    Have a read of this:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=87248&d=1249566160

Naturally additional security requirements can be added at the discretion of the super / chief super.

all due respect that is bull****,

Incorrect, I installed my own and I am not PSA registered. I made no secret of this when asked. Having said that I installed a high quality system.

Interesting must tell my buddy ;)

If Garda insisted on what they've looked for where would he stand? It looks like he'd have to comply or go to court?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

2011 wrote: »
    Incorrect, I installed my own and I am not PSA registered. I made no secret of this when asked. Having said that I installed a high quality system.

Depends entirely on the whims of your Sarge, and his Super.
    As linked to above, this is in their list.

Three or more restricted firearms or six or more firearms, of any type, kept in the same place. In addition to the standards specified at reference number 3, the place in which the firearms are stored shall have an intruder alarm system, installed and maintained by installers licensed by the Private Security Authority, which complies with I.S. EN 50131 or an equivalent standard approved by the Commissioner of the Garda Siochana. The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licensed by the Private Security Authority, and supported with GSM Mobile telephone service back up signalling facilities.

Three or more restricted firearms or six or more firearms, of any type, kept in the same place. In addition to the standards specified at reference number 3, the place in which the firearms are stored shall have an intruder alarm system, installed and maintained by installers licensed by the Private Security Authority, which complies with I.S. EN 50131 or an equivalent standard approved by the Commissioner of the Garda Siochana. The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licensed by the Private Security Authority, and supported with GSM Mobile telephone service back up signalling facilities.

That's more or less what he was told.

Yes, I said that in post #43 and linked to the secure accommodation SI :)
    My point is that a PSA installed alarm is not required in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭SakoHunter75

Having said that I installed a high quality system.

Can I ask what that system was, 2011?

Can I ask what that system was, 2011?

Mine is a HKC.
    However I would highly rate the Siemens offering.

Without getting into the specifics of how to bypass an alarm let me say this, the bar is set very low for complying to EN50131, meaning that a number of alarms certified to this standard are installed in a way that it would simply enough to defeat them without requiring any real technical understanding.

The real vulnerabilities in alarm systems are down how they are installed, far more so than whether it is a HKC, Siemens or whatever make.

Whatever system you go for I would strongly recommend the following:

1) Full perimeter protection. That means every exterior window and door has an inertia hack sensor and contacts fitted.

2) A functioning bell box.

3) Motion detectors as back up only. Remember, these are only activated when it is too late i.e. the intruder is already in your home! I would rather be notified before this occurs.

4) Gun cabinet on a dedicated 24 hour zone requiring a separate code. Contact installed in the cabinet and shock sensor on the outside.

5) App control of the alarm. That way you can see the status, arm / disarm from anywhere in addition to a number of other features.

6) Multiple communication paths.

7) For obvious reasons the alarm panel should be difficult for an intruder to locate. Beside the distribution board at the front door is far from ideal!

It should also be noted that in many cases the alarm can be extended to pick up sheds. If there is no cable in place this can often be done wirelessly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It should also be noted that in many cases the alarm can be extended to pick up sheds. If there is no cable in place this can often be done wirelessly.

Some very good advice. I have just one thing to add.

If you have two or more restricted firearms or more than three non-restricted firearms, then the locks on the door of the shed would need to comply with BS3621.

I'm no lock expert but I doubt many sheds have locks that comply with this regulation.
    Two restricted firearms, or more than three non-restricted firearms.
    Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure. The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    If you have two or more restricted firearms or more than three non-restricted firearms, then the locks on the door of the shed would need to comply with BS3621.

This would only apply if the firearms were being stored and in the shed:
    The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

This would only apply if the firearms were being stored and in the shed:

Ah yeah, I got that.

The Crime Prevention Officer who inspected my set-up went through my security with a fine tooth comb. He really did his job thoroughly. When checking the safes, he did his best to rip them off the wall. He was close to boll0cksed by the time he was finished testing them. :)

Thankfully all was 'good in the hood' and my set-up was approved.

and by two sensors they mean internal sensors not windows or doors, internal as in PIRs, you are wasting good money paying a company to monitor your alarm

To clarify. A verified alarm is an activation of 2 separate zone. Pirs are ideal for this purpose but not only.
    You could have the sensor on a window on one zone and the contact on another.
    That way when an intruder is trying to force a window you get the initial activation & when its opened you get the confirmed zone even earlier than a PiR would.

Advertisement