Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting organic traffic to a blog?

• 27-11-2017 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭

I know this board seems to mostly be talking about bloggers but I am wondering if there are many bloggers out there who would have some tips on this?

I started a blog on a niche topic(not beauty/lifestyle/travel etc) a couple weeks ago now, I have a social media following of about 10k so have been getting traffic from my followers but I would love to see some organic traffic start coming in. Hopefully my content is informative and easy to follow, my blog has lots of how tos, troubleshooting etc. I am always complimented on the quality of my photos, I have put a lot of effort into the aesthetic of my social media and am hoping to follow that through with my blog.

It is really early days for me yet and completely new to me but I would love to hear how others went about getting organic traffic. Is it a matter of putting out high quality content and crossing your fingers that google will find you at some point? I've read up a bit on SEO but have been concentrating on my content so far, I'd love to know how important people have found SEO to their blogs success. How long did it take for you to see some kind of organic traffic? So far as I can tell one person so far has found me through google out of the 800 or so users that have visited my site in the last couple of weeks so I have quite a ways to go :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

SEO is vital to get yourself up the rankings. Get some other blogs or sites to link to you. Buying some ads and sponsored posts across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram to reach out past your own followers if you have the funds.

If you're looking to monetize the blog, look at the ad buy as an investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

GavMan wrote: »
    SEO is vital to get yourself up the rankings. Get some other blogs or sites to link to you. Buying some ads and sponsored posts across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram to reach out past your own followers if you have the funds.

If you're looking to monetize the blog, look at the ad buy as an investment.

Thanks for the reply, it looks like SEO is something I am going to have to set aside some time to read further into then. I hadn't considered ads, it is something I will look into they would have to be extremely targeted though as my niche is not something everyone would be into. Do ads actually help with organic traffic in the long run? I am hoping to monetize eventually, I have been approved for adsense(although I haven't actually allowed ads yet) and there are some opportunities for affiliate selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

Thanks for the reply, it looks like SEO is something I am going to have to set aside some time to read further into then. I hadn't considered ads, it is something I will look into they would have to be extremely targeted though as my niche is not something everyone would be into. Do ads actually help with organic traffic in the long run? I am hoping to monetize eventually, I have been approved for adsense(although I haven't actually allowed ads yet) and there are some opportunities for affiliate selling.

'Organic' traffic is not really a thing. I get that you want to reach past your 10k social media followers. For that to happen 'Organically' you're depending on people linking to your blog on their sites, sharing links/posts on their Social Media, Liking your social media posts so that like activity hits other peoples newsfeed. Even then its not gonna be organic because realistically, you're gonna have to ask/push people to share/like your content posts on Social Media.

Very little about generating traffic is organic. You have to push it reasonably hard. Keep churning regular content. Take the time as you say to get the SEO right and taken even more time to curate ads and ad buys so that you're really reaching your target audience and getting bang for your buck.

Its all about the content. If the content on the subject is good, worth of mouth in the niche will get you that organic traffic you want.

Advertisement