Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate Biscuit Cake and Sponge Cake?

Options
  • 27-11-2017 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭

Hi!

So I'm making a cake this weekend and wanted to do something different. It will be a spherical cake so I've a feeling all sponge will be too much. Has anyone ever tried layering sponge on top of biscuit cake? Was it very heavy? Would buttercream icing suit the middle? Or is it all a mad idea and I should stick to what I know? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

There is no problem using two different flavours in one cake being iced as one but they should be separated by a cake card, not a layer of buttercream for two totally different type cakes. If both were different sponge flavours it would be ok to do leave out the card and have just buttercream but with chocolate biscuit I would card in middle. If possible then split the top sponge into two layers with buttercream inbetween so it is a complete cake.

Chocolate biscuit will be fine on the bottom and will give better support to the sponge in a spherical shape. Put a cake card slightly smaller than the cakes between them, fill any little gap with icing and then cover the lot with buttercream/icing.

When cutting then you would cut down as far as the card then cut all around at card level to separate both layers of cake.

Advertisement