Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

switching to horizon boxes

• 27-11-2017 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭

I currently have 2 cisco dvr boxes that i have since the UPC days. I have a separate cisco modem for the broad band. I was thinking of moving to horizon boxes instead. I have a couple of questions:

1. Am i mad to consider this? I know that initially the horizon boxes were terrible. have they improved sufficiently to be usable?

2. can i keep my separate modem? I've read that the horizon box does the broadband as well but i would rather keep the modem i have as i have it hooked into a separate wireless router.

3. Is there anything in the near future that i should hold on for instead?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

They still offer a separate router depending on your package, I don’t think the horizon box is capable of the max speed that they offer so we have a “super hub” as they call it.

I am wondering if they’re TiVo box will be brought to Ireland that is capable of 4K?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'm still on the old 120MB broadband package but i would switch to the 240 or 360 if i was moving to horizon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Pretty sure you can't have two horizon boxes. Just the one. So you'll end up having to keep one of the cisco boxes.

I still have a cisco box here and to be honest after the Horizon box issues we had we'd never go back.

Cisco HD has been the best box by far for speed and stability throughout the UPC /Virgin days.

Someone mentioned about the V6 box coming but i highly doubt it since the CEO said they were sticking with horizon, also didn't they mention 4K can be done on this box with a software update.Could be wrong on that on though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I currently have 2 cisco dvr boxes that i have since the UPC days. I have a separate cisco modem for the broad band. I was thinking of moving to horizon boxes instead. I have a couple of questions:

1. Am i mad to consider this? I know that initially the horizon boxes were terrible. have they improved sufficiently to be usable?

2. can i keep my separate modem? I've read that the horizon box does the broadband as well but i would rather keep the modem i have as i have it hooked into a separate wireless router.

3. Is there anything in the near future that i should hold on for instead?

To be fair the horror box (mine at least) has been relatively stable recently, no recording f-ups for a long time and just a very occasional need to re-boot.

The UI is still horrible and the lag on button presses is just awful. In comparison to Sky or even cheap FTA boxes it is a very frustrating yoke to use, I can't compare to the Cisco boxes a I never had one, I moved from the crap SD box to the crap Horror box.

They try to get you to use the all-in-one solution but in my case after the terrible overseas CS team were unable to understand/deal with the request I went through the Irish retention customer service team via the talk to forum on boards and got a separate modem with no extra charge.

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Pretty sure you can't have two horizon boxes. Just the one. So you'll end up having to keep one of the cisco boxes.

I still have a cisco box here and to be honest after the Horizon box issues we had we'd never go back.

Cisco HD has been the best box by far for speed and stability throughout the UPC /Virgin days.

Someone mentioned about the V6 box coming but i highly doubt it since the CEO said they were sticking with horizon, also didn't they mention 4K can be done on this box with a software update.Could be wrong on that on though.

so how does that work for new multi-room customers? do they still have a stack of the cisco boxes somewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

so how does that work for new multi-room customers? do they still have a stack of the cisco boxes somewhere?

Not sure what boxes they are using but it is the old crap. read on here recently they sent out a box so old that it had no hdmi only scart. The guy sent it back as his TV has no scart input.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭corroonb

The Horizon box is terrible. We're on our second one and we have constant issues with recordings and the guide.

Looks like i am sticking with what i have. I'm just sick of replacing faulty remotes for the cisco box.

Advertisement