Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment 2018 can I apply?

• 27-11-2017 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I am just wondering what people's opinions are on this.
    I was delighted to hear that there would be more garda recruitment happening in 2018. I have never applied before but after coming home to Ireland a year ago and buying our first house and seeing that they are finally recruiting again I really want to apply for the 2018 campaign to make myself happy and provide a stable life for my family. However, I am 4 months pregnant! My worry is that this upcoming recruitment campaign may be the last for a few years and then I fear I may be over the age limit if that is the case when they do open the door again. I don't want to miss what may be my only opportunity to give this my best shot. They may not start taking applications until after May when I will have had our baby which would be great but as things don't always work out that way.... Would I be allowed to apply if I was pregnant?? I know that the application process takes a while so maybe by the time it came to take the physical exam and test I will have had baby. I just don't want to miss out on what I want to do because my husband and I wanted another baby. Would I be frowned upon or rejected if I applied and I was pregnant? If I was, would that be discriminating?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

jojomama wrote: »
    I am just wondering what people's opinions are on this.
    I was delighted to hear that there would be more garda recruitment happening in 2018. I have never applied before but after coming home to Ireland a year ago and buying our first house and seeing that they are finally recruiting again I really want to apply for the 2018 campaign to make myself happy and provide a stable life for my family. However, I am 4 months pregnant! My worry is that this upcoming recruitment campaign may be the last for a few years and then I fear I may be over the age limit if that is the case when they do open the door again. I don't want to miss what may be my only opportunity to give this my best shot. They may not start taking applications until after May when I will have had our baby which would be great but as things don't always work out that way.... Would I be allowed to apply if I was pregnant?? I know that the application process takes a while so maybe by the time it came to take the physical exam and test I will have had baby. I just don't want to miss out on what I want to do because my husband and I wanted another baby. Would I be frowned upon or rejected if I applied and I was pregnant? If I was, would that be discriminating?

Dont see why you cant apply, if your getting through the stages you will more than likely have had the baby by the time the physical comes around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

You can definitely apply. Think you can only do the medical once the baby is born. When the time comes and it's what you want, go for it!

Just note: d) Have a period of 1 year's continuous residence in the State on the closing date of the advertisement for the competition for the vacancy to which the admission relates, and during the eight years immediately preceeding that period, has had a total residence in the State amounting to four years, or Have been granted subsidiary protection, or
    e) is a family member of such a person, in compliance with the Admissions and Appointments Regulations, 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jojomama

Thanks for those positive responses, I feel a lot better now knowing it's not out of reach because I'm just different for a few months. I think I am ok with the residency eligibility been back from UK just over a year already and my parents and siblings here all their lives and I'm an Irish national so I think and hope that's a pass?

Advertisement