Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'd like a bonus please.

• 27-11-2017 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

Whenever I hear this phrase it sort of annoys me.

A bonus is awarded for doing something exceptional/above ordinary so when I hear it used in the context of social welfare recipients it doesn't sit well in my head.

It's also referred to as a bonus in the UK too. Though recipients only get a maximum of £10.

https://www.gov.uk/christmas-bonus

More like Christmas pocket money.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

It's a 'bonus' as it's a more expensive time of the year.
    Would you like to be on €188 a week ??
    And then an extra €160 (?) for the 'bonus' week ?

I know I wouldn't , I'm quite happy to have a job and get no Christmas bonus - which we won't get, fair enough work stays the same here all year round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Huexotzingo

Fight!!!:pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Great another dole bashing thread :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

I know I wouldn't , I'm quite happy to have a job and get no Christmas bonus - which we won't get, fair enough work stays the same here all year round.

No one is EVER just on the basic E188 a week. So that can end right now.

Add up all the other freebies that we have to pay for and they're on a lot more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

So call it a non-refundable Christmas grant if it makes you feel better.

• Advertisement

So call it a non-refundable Christmas grant if it makes you feel better.

Grant for what though ?

Add up all the other freebies that we have to pay for and they're on a lot more.

I still can't imagine they are making as much as a salaried worker.

I was for all the time I was on and off the dole. Most people I knew were as well, some on the reduced 100 or 144 rate. Tell me what other freebies I got. Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

Not working as hard as a salaried worker either I'd bet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I was on it for 6 months at the start of the recession, handy cash for doing **** all tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Im not saying people don't abuse it, but for most people its a crutch to get through tough times, its not a good position to be in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I was unemployed for 9 months before I started this job and that's what I was on.

Grayson wrote: »
    I was unemployed for 9 months before I started this job and that's what I was on.

And you got nothing else ? No medical card ? No reduced rate prescriptions ? No contribution to rent ? Nothing ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

All of the unemployed are drinking champagne in their mansions and laughing at the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

I was on it for 4 years unfortunately when I went back to college and and I got €188 each week, every week.
    No more, no less.
    So you're talking absolute poo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Xcellor wrote: »

A bonus is awarded for doing something exceptional/above ordinary so when I hear it used in the context of social welfare recipients it doesn't sit well in my head.

It's also referred to as a bonus in the UK too. Though recipients only get a maximum of £10.

why mention what they get in the UK? we are our own country, we don't have to copy everything they do in the UK.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    why mention what they get in the UK? we are our own country, we don't have to copy everything they do in the UK.

I wish we did - they get a tenner as their bonus.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Would have been "subsidised by the taxpayer" even without the bonus. And anyone with a private pension is subsidised by the taxpayer. And anyone with children. And anyone working for the state. And so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

That list includes many more than what you would think:
    Back to Education Allowance (people coming from Jobseeker’s payments must have been on their payment and/or BTEA for 15 months)
    Back to Work Allowance
    Back to Work Enterprise Allowance
    Blind Pension
    Carer’s Allowance and Benefit
    Community Employment
    Deserted Wife’s Allowance and Benefit
    Disability Allowance
    Disablement Pension and Widow’s, Widower’s or Surviving Civil Partner’s Pension under the Occupational Injuries Scheme
    Domiciliary Care Allowance (85% of the weekly amount )
    Farm Assist
    Gateway
    Guardian’s Payment (Contributory) and (Non-Contributory)
    Invalidity Pension
    Job Initiative
    JobBridge (people coming from jobseeker’s payments must have been on their payment and/or JobBridge for 15 months)
    Jobseeker’s Allowance (long-term only – over 390 days or 15 months unemployed on JB/JA)
    Jobseeker’s Allowance (Transition)
    Magdalen Laundry Payments
    One-Parent Family Payment
    Partial Capacity Benefit
    Pre-Retirement Allowance
    Rural Social Scheme
    State Pension (Contributory), (Non-Contributory) and (Transition)
    Supplementary Welfare Allowance (only – over 391 days or 15 months)
    Widow, Widower’s or Surviving Civil Partner’s Pension (Contributory) and (Non-Contributory)
    VTOS (people coming from jobseeker’s payments must have been on their payment and/or VTOS for 15 months)

Also re the more than 188, I was on it for bit over a year and never received anything other than the 188. There are other conditions attached to other benefits such as medical card and that.

Edit to add above list comes from: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105382660&postcount=10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

And you got nothing else ? No medical card ? No reduced rate prescriptions ? No contribution to rent ? Nothing ????

I'm trying to remember if I got prescriptions cheaper but I can't remember. I know I got one of those cards so I don't pay more than 50 on drugs but I don't think i ever used it.

I was unemployed for longer than 9 months. I just had savings I used up first. I also borrowed money from family when things got particularly rough and my family paid for a trip to the dentist for me as an xmas present.

Also, I didn't get an xmas bonus. They're only given to long term unemployed. So no-one got any xmas presents except for my niece and nephew. Thankfully they're young so they don't care that much.

There seems to be an image of people on the dole living the highlife. It's not like that for anyone I know. Personally i found it distressing and socially isolating. I was constantly worried about bills. I was always worried i wouldn't have enough to make it to the next week. Food shopping was always buying the cheapest thing and even then I'd compare prices across brands and supermarkets.
    It was isolating because i couldn't go to a pub. I couldn't go on a date. I certainly couldn't go to gigs, festivals and everything else my friends were going to. I pretty much stayed at home everyday and applied for jobs.
    I know someone is going to reply with "You expect the government to pay for you to go to festivals?". No I don't. I do however expect people to think before they say that people on the dole have a great life. Being on the dole sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Xcellor wrote: »

Simple quit your job and sign on!.

Stop whinging baby!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Think of how many votes that is. Why run the risk of alienating that many voters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I was on it, €188 a week, none of those things. Outof college I was on €100 a week, again no extras. Life of Reilly, I'd a whole 30 quid left after rent!

It's mad all the people in this thread who've been on the basic rate, even though no-one ever is. In your presumably vast first hand experience...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

So it’s only more expensive for people on the dole??

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Debtocracy

Average worker take home pay a week = €650
    Weekly Jobseekers Allowance = €188
    Workers’ weekly Bonus = €462

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Definition of bonus

a sum of money added to a person's wages as a reward for good performance.
    "big Christmas bonuses"

Since everyone on the previously mentioned list gets it, it's not a bonus. Maybe a subsidy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

For genuine social welfare cases, ie people who worked and lost their jobs then I’ve no problem.

For those who made SW their way of life and have never worked, never contributed to society and who get everything handed to them then they deserve nothing. There are many many people in that category.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,145 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The basic rate went up to is €193 per week. And yes, some people ARE on it.

Typically people on job seeker's benefit not allowance - who won't be getting the extra Christmas payment anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Give me a tax break/credits for December which is proportional to the % welfare recipients get. As mentioned Christmas is expensive for everyone.

It's the season of giving after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I think if good honest grafters end up on the dole it's a hard life for them, be that through recession, first in-first out culture or redundancy. It's no picnic and it's isolating as all your peers are in work and you're alone.

On the other hand, if you're the type that's made a lifestyle of it, never intend doing a tap, know how to unfairly bleed the system and surround yourself with people of the same ilk, that's an entirely different ball game.

The two are not comparable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's not a bonus, it's a yearly salary spread out over 54 weeks :pac:

Seriously though, I'd rather they stopped calling it a Xmas bonus. It just gets begrudgers riled up and whingey.

Would you rather go on the dole so that you can claim €160 extra for that week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

The only time I ever got a bonus was when I was on the dole, I certainly don't begrudge anyone else receiving now that I am earning proper money and can have a lovely Christmas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It would be good for the economy too I guess? It'll all be spent on food and presents so the State gets a good chunk back as vat and the rest goes into shopkeepers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Give people on SI a bit extra at Xmas.

But not people on SA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

No one is EVER just on the basic E188 a week.  So that can end right now.

Well, maybe they should find a job then?

And anyone with a private pension is subsidised by the taxpayer. And anyone with children. And anyone working for the state. 

High earner with children don't get subsidized, they get a (small) part of that they payed to the state back.
    Working for the state do some service for the people, for example arranging Christmas bonuses to those who entitled.

My apologies for thinking Jobseeker's was the same as other benefits.

I realise now I was incorrect and I hope you all accept my apologies.

• Advertisement

It would be good for the economy too I guess? It'll all be spent on food and presents so the State gets a good chunk back as vat and the rest goes into shopkeepers
    If the same amount of money is distributed among working people as tax relieves, those money would also be spent on foods and presents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Reati wrote: »
    Not working as hard as a salaried worker either I'd bet....

Oh I would say a Full Time Carer works far harder then the salaried worker.......... With no lunch breaks, no holidays & certainly no respite

Knine wrote: »
    Oh I would say a Full Time Carer works far harder then the salaried worker.......... With no lunch breaks, no holidays & certainly no respite

Could not agree more.

na1 wrote: »
    High earner with children don't get subsidized, they get a (small) part of that they payed to the state back.
    How is a Christmas bonus a "subsidy" any more than any other payment from the state?
    If we're going to do the adding up of taxes and subtraction of payments thing then I'm sure we'll find a large majority of the population is "subsidised" by the state.

Oh I would say a Full Time Carer works far harder then the salaried worker..........  With no lunch breaks, no holidays & certainly no respite
    I would say the Bangladeshi workers have much harder/dangerous work with no lunch breaks, holidays and insurance.
    and the don't have even 10th of what full time carer is getting in Ireland. Would you mind sending your own money to support them?

If the same amount of money is distributed among working people as tax relieves, those money would also be spent on foods and presents.

Would it though? I can only speak for my myself but I do get a Christmas bonus and around half of it goes into my savings as I get enough anyway to cover presents and food

How is a Christmas bonus a "subsidy" any more than any other payment from the state?
    If we're going to do the adding up of taxes and subtraction of payments thing then I'm sure we'll find a large majority of the population is "subsidised" by the state.
    Yes according to the states stats about 50% of the population are "subsidised" by the state. This doesn't meant this is a good thing though...

The same reason you'd argue for the taxpayer to subsidise Apple and the like

Yes according to the states stats about 50% of the population are "subsidised" by the state. This doesn't meant this is a good thing though...
    It'll be more than that I'm pretty sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement