Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'd like a bonus please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

And you got nothing else ? No medical card ? No reduced rate prescriptions ? No contribution to rent ? Nothing ????

Try five years on 188. I did it. Could have got a medical card but didn't.

No other extras. It was soul crushing

na1 wrote: »
    Well, maybe they should find a job then?

I find this amusing. As if it's so easy to find a job. Just click your fingers and boom! A job appears with a desire for whatever skillset you have.

I returned to Ireland a while back to look after my parents who have both been ill. So, I was looking for work in the Midlands. I have a variety of business/Finance degrees, with related corporate experience. Useful? Nope. Went to quite a few of interviews but nothing turned up. Unless I went to the major population centers like Dublin/Galway, there was very little actually available. (which I actually did for a while, but my family commitments made that too difficult)

The jobs that were available was commission based sales (extremely unreliable income) or very specific jobs like being a chef or construction machinery positions. I found it interesting how many jobs require some sort of educational certification or such.

In any case, I turned to the Internet and programming for my income. I'm not on the Dole, but tbh that's only because I had the skills to do online work.

So while Ireland has very low unemployment right now, Dublin is booming and other major areas are recovering, there will be many people out there that either don't have the skills/education required for the jobs on offer... Or they've been off the job scene long enough that past experience counts for very little.

There are definitely people on the dole who are dodging getting work and avoiding being independent of welfare. However, There are also people who are limited to their local area with valid reasons and there isn't that much actual work available.

And simply saying "get a job" is ignorant of the complexities of being an adult. We don't choose many of the responsibilities we have in our lives which can severely limit our options for finding work, commuting, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

If people on the dole are as much better off as some of you seem to think, why not go on it yourselves?

You'd swear people getting benefits were living a life of luxury to read some of the posts on here.

Since we're throwing out random anecdotes as evidence, the majority of people I've known who complain about people on benefits taking their tax money are the same ones who do half an hour of work a day and spend the rest of their time drinking tea. Hard earned indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Try five years on 188. I did it. Could have got a medical card but didn't.

No other extras. It was soul crushing

I know, I do apologise - I didn't realise JS was different to the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

No one is EVER just on the basic E188 a week. So that can end right now.

Add up all the other freebies that we have to pay for and they're on a lot more.

I was on just 188 a week. So that just shows how little you know.

I find this amusing. As if it's so easy to find a job. Just click your fingers and boom! A job appears with a desire for whatever skillset you have.

I returned to Ireland a while back to look after my parents who have both been ill. So, I was looking for work in the Midlands. I have a variety of business/Finance degrees, with related corporate experience. Useful? Nope. Went to quite a few of interviews but nothing turned up. Unless I went to the major population centers like Dublin/Galway, there was very little actually available. (which I actually did for a while, but my family commitments made that too difficult)

The jobs that were available was commission based sales (extremely unreliable income) or very specific jobs like being a chef or construction machinery positions. I found it interesting how many jobs require some sort of educational certification or such.

In any case, I turned to the Internet and programming for my income. I'm not on the Dole, but tbh that's only because I had the skills to do online work.

So while Ireland has very low unemployment right now, Dublin is booming and other major areas are recovering, there will be many people out there that either don't have the skills/education required for the jobs on offer... Or they've been off the job scene long enough that past experience counts for very little.

There are definitely people on the dole who are dodging getting work and avoiding being independent of welfare. However, There are also people who are limited to their local area with valid reasons and there isn't that much actual work available.

And simply saying "get a job" is ignorant of the complexities of being an adult. We don't choose many of the responsibilities we have in our lives which can severely limit our options for finding work, commuting, etc.

You have no chance. I live in the Midlands but have worked in Dublin for a decade, b**ch of a commute it is.

I've looked for something closer to home but nothing involving what I am trained for, or what I earn. I know I'm selfish to want to keep the salary I'm on or equivalent to it.

But there's nothing around. I wish you lots of luck, and hope you get something.

I was on just 188 a week. So that just shows how little you know.

Completely agreed, I do hope you accept my apology. I have read up on JS now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Great another dole bashing thread

Always look forward to these, regular as clockwork.

Grant for what though ?

To help with the added costs of Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I know I'm selfish to want to keep the salary I'm on or equivalent to it.

Personally I wouldn't consider that selfish at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

Yes according to the states stats about 50% of the population are "subsidised" by the state. This doesn't meant this is a good thing though...
    It'll be more than that I'm pretty sure.

What exactly do you mean by "subsidized"?

A person who pays a 1000 euro a week in direct taxes, and gets a single child benefit of around 32 euro a week - is NOT subsidized by the state

Permabear wrote:
    This post had been deleted.

Chances are most of that money will be spent in the economy and a significant amount will make it's way back to state coffers in the form of tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Xcellor wrote: »
    Whenever I hear this phrase it sort of annoys me.

A bonus is awarded for doing something exceptional/above ordinary so when I hear it used in the context of social welfare recipients it doesn't sit well in my head.

It's also referred to as a bonus in the UK too. Though recipients only get a maximum of £10.

https://www.gov.uk/christmas-bonus

More like Christmas pocket money.

You do know that pensioners also get a Christmas bonus don't you ? Does this not sit well with you either ? Well tough actually , we paid tax and prsi all our lives so will gladly take a bonus at Christmas .

Personally I wouldn't consider that selfish at all.

Thanks, I don't feel deep down it is but I once told someone I paid the higher rate of tax and she said "oh look at Mrs 1%".

Took me 30 years to earn this!! It's not like I'm quids in neither!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

see I've no problem with a bonus going to those poor souls on the dole who are struggling to get by and need a bit of a boost at Christmas.

but then you've people like my friend who lives at home with his parents, gets the full whack, and is using his bonus to buy himself a PS4 for the projector he got with it last year. Bought himself a Oneplus 5T a few months ago, was at Queens of the Stone Age on Friday, is heading to London in 2 weeks for 2 nights, etc.

And that's the problem, social welfare here is shockingly misaligned in the way it's handed out to people. For some people €193 probably barely gets them by, for others, they live great.

• Advertisement

Sure they'll spend it on booze and ciggies so we'll claw some of it back.

You have no chance. I live in the Midlands but have worked in Dublin for a decade, b**ch of a commute it is.

I've looked for something closer to home but nothing involving what I am trained for, or what I earn. I know I'm selfish to want to keep the salary I'm on or equivalent to it.

But there's nothing around. I wish you lots of luck, and hope you get something.

It's kinda scary in a way. The whole focus is on the cities... I went through Athlone recently, which has always been reasonably successful. And it still is for the Pharmaceutical industry and a few foreign companies. But looking at the town itself, there's still plenty of shops/cafes/etc closing down and not being replaced. There are very few people aged 20-40 walking around, except for obvious foreigners.

Most people I knew in my local area are living in Dublin or Galway. Very few of them are still working locally, whereas before the 'crash' they all were. I know many of them would love to return home, but there just isn't reliable work. The focus of the government seems to firmly focus on the cities.

Personally, I've given up looking for work here. I'll continue to work online instead. I'm not making fantastic money, but it's far better than the dole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

For genuine social welfare cases, ie people who worked and lost their jobs then I’ve no problem.

For those who made SW their way of life and have never worked, never contributed to society and who get everything handed to them then they deserve nothing. There are many many people in that category.
    Well that's not quite true. They deserve a boot up the hole.

Cina wrote: »
    see I've no problem with a bonus going to those poor souls on the dole who are struggling to get by and need a bit of a boost at Christmas.

but then you've people like my friend who lives at home with his parents, gets the full whack, and is using his bonus to buy himself a PS4 for the projector he got with it last year. Bought himself a Oneplus 5T a few months ago, was at Queens of the Stone Age on Friday, is heading to London in 2 weeks for 2 nights, etc.

And that's the problem, social welfare here is shockingly misaligned in the way it's handed out to people. For some people €193 probably barely gets them by, for others, they live great.

Refreshing to read an actual measured post every now and then as opposed to the usual crude nasty horseshít normally spouted on this topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd prefer the poorest people in our society to be a little bit poorer so that I can be a little bit richer. I'm nice that way!

• Advertisement

Cina wrote:

So your mate is living at home getting 188. If he has little to no bills why would 't he have money for some nice stuff. Would you rather he drank and smoked it instead. Although your post smacks of begrudgery to me but that's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    So your mate is living at home getting 188. If he has little to no bills why would 't he have money for some nice stuff. Would you rather he drank and smoked it instead. Although your post smacks of begrudgery to me but that's just me.
    No, I think you've just completely missed the point of what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Your Face wrote: »
    All of the unemployed are drinking champagne in their mansions and laughing at the OP.

And how nyuck nyuck!

What exactly do you mean by "subsidized"?

A person who pays a 1000 euro a week in direct taxes, and gets a single child benefit of around 32 euro a week - is NOT subsidized by the state
    True. However that'll be a gross income quite a bit higher than the average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Permabear wrote: »

Who employ Irish people who pay Irish income tax. They pay Irish rates, insurance, fuel bills, use Irish banks, source products from Irish suppliers etc etc.

The margin on groceries is tiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I know, I do apologise - I didn't realise JS was different to the others.

There are many on "the others" in similar circumstances. I briefly went on jobseekers when unemployed and if I had gone on one parent family payment I'd have been no better off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

People that need it should get more than that.

But obviously the people who have no intention of doing anything other than screw the state deserve nothing.

The majority are honest people who need help.

Permabear wrote:

True but they pay wages here also and vat, same argument used to justify the low tax rate for Apple and other foreign companies. Millions of taxpayers money in corporate welfare good, millions of taxpayers money in an extra welfare payment at Christmas bad. Yeah?

Cina wrote:
    No, I think you've just completely missed the point of what I said.

Don't think I have actually.

• Advertisement

Don't think I have actually.

you have, I'm clearly not begrudging him spending that money on nice things. I'm not disputing the idea that if he has the money and no bills then he is free to spend it how he wants. You have completely missed the point there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

I would say the Bangladeshi workers have much harder/dangerous work with no lunch breaks, holidays and insurance.
    and the don't have even 10th of what full time carer is getting in Ireland. Would you mind sending your own money to support them?

There's me thinking we were talking about Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

I have no problem with people on disability or carers getting an Xmas bonus but the long term unemployed shouldn't get it. Ridiculous, getting rewarded for sitting on their holes from here to eternity.

Cina wrote:
    you have, I'm clearly not begrudging him spending that money on nice things. I'm not disputing the idea that if he has the money and no bills then he is free to spend it how he wants. You have completely missed the point there.

So why mention it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I wouldn't like to facing into a Christmas on that pittance

Mr.H wrote: »
    People that need it should get more than that.

But obviously the people who have no intention of doing anything other than screw the state deserve nothing.

The majority are honest people who need help.

How come the state where "The majority are honest people who need help" has a social bill of about a half of the state budget?

Knine wrote: »
    I would say the Bangladeshi workers have much harder/dangerous work with no lunch breaks, holidays and insurance.
    and the don't have even 10th of what full time carer is getting in Ireland. Would you mind sending your own money to support them?

There's me thinking we were talking about Ireland.
    So you're saying that "some people are more equal than others" ?

na1 wrote:
    How come the state where "The majority are honest people who need help" has a social bill of about a half of the state budget?

The biggest spend out of the social bill as you call it is pension provision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Seems a bit petty to complain that the unemployed are given a few extra quid at Christmas. Honestly, the hatred of the poor, will never cease to amaze me.

Could just as easily be any of us, if a few things were to not go your way.

• Advertisement

na1 wrote:
    So you're saying that "some people are more equal than others" ?

Nah I think he means we live in Ireland, the Christmas bonus is being paid in Ireland, those who receive it live in Ireland(Well most do) so nothing got to do with Bangladesh. I agree with them incidently.

So why mention it?
    it's called an example. They're useful to provide when making a point.

Let me spell it out for you since you're failing to grasp it. I do not begrudge him for spending the money the state choose to give him despite him living at home with his wealthy parents. I begrudge our social welfare service in this country for giving him and others like him the exact same amount of money that others who struggle far more get.

na1 wrote:

The biggest spend out of the social bill as you call it is pension provision.
    according to official stats, the contributory pension stands for just over  4 billion of 20 billion expenditury in 2014
    http://www.publicpolicy.ie/wp-content/uploads/A-Survey-of-the-Benefit-System-in-Ireland-Final-2015.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

I am sick of these dole bashing threads. I have Cystic Fibrosis and I can't work. I get disability allowance so I will be getting a wonderful ''bonus'' before Christmas. Not everyone on social welfare is a scrounger. I already feel bad enough that I can't work and contribute like other people, and that my medication and treatment cost is a burden on the system, as well as needing help from friends and family to have a somewhat normal life. I do not need to be listening to this crap on top of it all. Ugh.

Cina wrote:
    Let me spell it out for you since you're failing to grasp it. I do not begrudge him for spending the money the state choose to give him despite him living at home with his wealthy parents. I begrudge our social welfare service in this country for giving him and others like him the exact same amount of money that others who struggle far more get.

So its begrudgery as confirmed above . Your friend sounds like he's lucky to be able to live at home and is good at saving. You need to mind your own business and live your own life. Just my opinion.

na1 wrote:
    Of which the non-contributory pension part is ?

You want them to starve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Is this the usual weekly bash the social welfare recipients thread or is it a Bonus Christmas one?

Cina wrote:

So its begrudgery as confirmed above . Your friend sounds like he's lucky to be able to live at home and is good at saving. You need to mind your own business and live your own life. Just my opinion.
    As I understood his point is that if the person has money for life that person shouldn't get more from the state

Is this the usual weekly bash the social welfare recipients thread or is it a Bonus Christmas one?

No this is the Christmas one, the normal one will be in a few days time.

na1 wrote:
    Of which the non-contributory pension part is ?

You want them to starve?
    Have you ever seen a starving pensioner (non-alcoholic, non drug addict) in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Have you ever seen a starving pensioner (non-alcoholic, non drug addict) in Ireland?

I have seen them cold and going to bed to get warm . Yes .

• Advertisement
Advertisement