Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'd like a bonus please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I am sick of these dole bashing threads. I have Cystic Fibrosis and I can't work. I get disability allowance so I will be getting a wonderful ''bonus'' before Christmas. Not everyone on social welfare is a scrounger. I already feel bad enough that I can't work and contribute like other people, and that my medication and treatment cost is a burden on the system, as well as needing help from friends and family to have a somewhat normal life. I do not need to be listening to this crap on top of it all. Ugh.

I hope you enjoy your Christmas and don't mind what people say. I'm happy that my salary goes to support people and we should be proud of it as a nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

I am sick of these dole bashing threads.  I have Cystic Fibrosis and I can't work.  I get disability allowance so I will be getting a wonderful ''bonus'' before Christmas.  Not everyone on social welfare is a scrounger.  I already feel bad enough that I can't work and contribute like other people, and that my medication and treatment cost is a burden on the system, as well as needing help from friends and family to have a somewhat normal life.  I do not need to be listening to this crap on top of it all.  Ugh.
    The people who are blamed in this thread are also taking money from your pocket.
    If the state would only pay to those who really can't work, and who is really struggling to get food and a roof, then the state would be able to afford more payment to people like you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

na1 wrote:
    As I understood his point is that if the person has money for life that person shouldn't get more from the state

No he said his friends parents were wealthy he Didn't say his friend was wealthy. If he is getting SW he is over 25 and not a dependant. I wonder how long the friendship would last if his mate knew what his friend was saying about him on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    So its begrudgery as confirmed above . Your friend sounds like he's lucky to be able to live at home and is good at saving. You need to mind your own business and live your own life. Just my opinion.

You need to learn not to twist what people say to suit your own narrative. that's clearly not in any way what I said, if you're going to be ignorant and try manipulate my words then kindly bugger off.

na1 wrote:
    Have you ever seen a starving pensioner (non-alcoholic, non drug addict) in Ireland?

No because they get a pension.;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

na1 wrote: »
    So you're saying that "some people are more equal than others" ?

Where did I say that? I said that the Christmas Bonus is also paid to Carers who work extremely hard, are often on call 24/7 with no lunch breaks, no holidays and no respite.

Cina wrote:
    You need to learn not to twist what people say to suit your own narrative. that's clearly not in any way what I said, if you're going to be ignorant and try manipulate my words then kindly bugger off.

I don't need to manipulate your words, begrudgery is the inference I got from what you wrote. I can assure you I'm not ignorant, although telling a forum on the net how your mate spends his money seems a bit dickish to me. That's just me though.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    I don't need to manipulate your words, begrudge is the inference I got from what you wrote. I can assure you I'm not ignorant, although telling a forum on the net how your mate spends his money seems a bit dickish to me. That's just me though.

Sigh. I have nothing to begrudge. Why would I be envious of him? Without blowing my own trumpet (you've sorted of forced me to here), I make a lot more money than him and it's not like I can't afford what he purchases. I don't envy his purchases, I certainly do not envy/begrudge the fact that he is living at home with his parents (I don't) and doesn't have a job (I do). As for pointing out how he spends his money, who cares? None of my friends know my persona on this, and he won't figure it out based on what I've said. He also wouldn't care an ounce, we've been friends most of our lives and have said far worse to/about each other over the years.

I gave him as an example of someone who's bleeding our social welfare who doesn't deserve to get the same amounts as others who genuinely struggle in their lives with €193. An example of why the state needs to have better logic and processes in how they hand out our social welfare. You turned that into me 'begrudging' him through entirely your own volition. That's on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Cina wrote: »
    see I've no problem with a bonus going to those poor souls on the dole who are struggling to get by and need a bit of a boost at Christmas.

but then you've people like my friend who lives at home with his parents, gets the full whack, and is using his bonus to buy himself a PS4 for the projector he got with it last year. Bought himself a Oneplus 5T a few months ago, was at Queens of the Stone Age on Friday, is heading to London in 2 weeks for 2 nights, etc.

And that's the problem, social welfare here is shockingly misaligned in the way it's handed out to people. For some people €193 probably barely gets them by, for others, they live great.

Don’t you have to be over a certain age to get the full whack while living at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

This post had been deleted.

Another one here who just got the basic €188. I would have been eligible for a medical card, but I never got round to getting the forms stamped, etc.
    Permabear wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

And also Irish corporations like Musgraves and Dunnes. I agree with you that it's a real shame that foreign corporations have such a big chunk of the market here, but that's another issue altogether.

• Advertisement

Cina wrote:
    I gave him as an example of someone who's bleeding our social welfare who doesn't deserve to get the same amounts as others who genuinely struggle in their lives with €193. An example of why the state needs to have better logic and processes in how they hand out our social welfare. You turned that into me 'begrudging' him through entirely your own volition. That's on you.

Nothing more to add, other I think I luckier than some with the friends I have.

I don’t agree with dole bashing but isn’t it odd that at a time of full employment 25% of the population get a bonus. Surely this includes pensions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Am I the only schmuck in the country not on social welfare?!?

Don’t you have to be over a certain age to get the full whack while living at home?

Yeah, 25 I believe. Tbf it used to be 18+ but they changed it around 2009/2010 I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I don’t agree with dole bashing but isn’t it odd that at a time of full employment 25% of the population get a bonus. Surely this includes pensions?

Yes, a huge chunk of it goes to lazy elderly wasters, sitting at home, blowing their pensions on cigarettes and booze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

RayM wrote: »
    Yes, a huge chunk of it goes to lazy elderly wasters, sitting at home, blowing their pensions on cigarettes and booze.

And retiring at 65, the feckers.

I do which that people who talk about the social welfare bill would point that out, mich of it is pensions - we are all ok with pensions right? At least private sector pensions.

Permabear wrote: »

I mean that argument is pretty disingenuous. If this was about tax reductions - and you were arguing that income tax reductions would pay for themselves in increased expenditure - would you talk about Tesco & M&S.

The margins on those businesses is low, much of the money is spent back into the local economy and on local suppliers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

I wonder how many people receiving the Christmas bonus are actually long term unemployed people who are just ''dole scroungers''. Not that many I'd bet. The numbers of people legitimately getting the bonus include pensioners, caregivers, disabled people, people who have gone back to education and those genuinely job seeking.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Ask your boss so. Simple.

I wish we did - they get a tenner as their bonus.

You can always move there sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Ah yes the ol' dole begrudgery.

Are people really that sad? I mean come on now. Let's cut the crap. If you have a full time job you wouldn't quit it to go on the dole for 188 a week. So this is really about not wanting someone, to get something, that you are not. A lousey double week.

Actually I reckon there is a lot of people out there who would cream their pants if the dole was abolished tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I think it been called a "bonus" is what riles people up.

I'd personally prefer if the money went towards building some badly needed infrastructure around the country ie metro north or the M20 motorway, this so called bonus is a cynical vote buying exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

Ah yes the ol' dole begrudgery.

. If you have a full time job you wouldn't quit it to go on the dole for 188 a week.
    If you have a good job you're unlikely to go and rob the bank. But this doesn't mean that the bank robbers shouldn't be prosecuted?

Cina wrote:
    but then you've people like my friend who lives at home with his parents, gets the full whack, and is using his bonus to buy himself a PS4 for the projector he got with it last year. Bought himself a Oneplus 5T a few months ago, was at Queens of the Stone Age on Friday, is heading to London in 2 weeks for 2 nights, etc.

That's a cheap PS4! Please post in the bargain thread.

• Advertisement

na1 wrote:
    If you have a good job you're unlikely to go and rob the bank. But this doesn't mean that the bank robbers shouldn't be prosecuted?

What now?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Never got any bonuses in the first 15 years of my career. Did eventually get one representing 12.5% of my then salary. That was after leading two major corporate deals and having taken 3 days holiday during the year (the days between Xmas and New Year). I was also off for an operation on my eye one day. Was supposed to be recovering the following day (a Friday) but went in as there was an important meeting to attend.

From my perspective I signed a contract. I deliver my side of the bargain and my employer delivers on their side. I treat bonuses as just that. It's a bonus and I don't expect it. If one arrives then I treat it as upside.

Now I am fortunate and have an incredibly well paid and interesting job. It was the investment I made from my side as an employee 15-20 years ago that allowed me to progress, significantly outperforming my contemporaries both in terms of my efforts and the rewards by employer has subsequently bestowed on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

Permabear wrote:

Leo launched a campaign against welfare fraud, he claimed he wanted to represent those that got up early in the morning. Somehow I don't think Leo has much interest in courting the vote of those on SW. Plus if you follow these threads you'd believe those on welfare won't put down their can of Stella down long enough to go and vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

[sarcasm]I could equally argue as a childless single male, that they shouldn't have had children if they can't afford them. Maybe, they should live in a smaller house/apartment. Hell, why should I pay for the education of there children? I could use that money to buy more video games, a new car, or motor bike.[/sarcasm]

Its not hard to turn around and start having a go at other groups, and how my tax money is being spent on them.

A modern country needs to take care of all parts of society, and there are plenty of working people who are struggling, and I understand that, but there struggles are not due to the people on the dole, and more than likely has more to do with them not being paid fairly.

Again, the hatred of the poor is profoundly irrational, and again anyone one of us could easily end up in that situation. So a strong welfare state is actually in everyone's interest.

Sure, look at the US, were you have people working multiple jobs, who still can't afford health insurance, barely feed themselves and there families, or even just next door in the UK, with the troubling rise in the need for food banks. Libertarian capitalism is much like communism a complete and total failure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

When I graduated college I moved back to Ireland from the UK and went home to live with my dad for a while. Couldn't find a job for about a year and was on the dole but because I lived with my dad and he earned within a certain bracket I was entitled to €140. Was fairly decent as I didn't pay bills or rent at the time. Eventually got myself a job and moved out.

Had to leave my job after 4 years due to stress and anxiety. It wasn't a long term mental health issue I had, it was directly related to the line of work I was in. So I needed to switch.
    I was unemployed for two years and was on €188. No medical card and no rent allowance. Zilch extra. Flat rate. Had to make do. I was lucky enough to have a roof over my head but there were many weeks I hadn't enough money to buy enough food for the week. Toast for 3/4 days until I could go to the post office.

I understand that there are many people who play the system and get things handed to them and they should be rightly condemned. But I don't pay my taxes so that when I need the help I can be looked down upon and judged for it. Plenty of hardworking, decent people on the dole who have found themselves stuck in recent years. Wouldn't wish it on anyone. A miserable existence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

No one is EVER just on the basic E188 a week. So that can end right now.

Add up all the other freebies that we have to pay for and they're on a lot more.

Lets get something straight here, not all of us get these side allowances, I don't get rent allowance or fuel allowance. I'm on a City and Guilds course with the Galway Roscommon Education Board and get 4.20 travel allowance for the week and about 4.80 for a lunch allowance a week, 4.80 hardly even covers one days lunch.

Edit: Sorry forgot to mention that I do get a medical card.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

na1 wrote: »

What you bloody talking about? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Beasty wrote: »
    Never got any bonuses in the first 15 years of my career. Did eventually get one representing 12.5% of my then salary. That was after leading two major corporate deals and having taken 3 days holiday during the year (the days between Xmas and New Year). I was also off for an operation on my eye one day. Was supposed to be recovering the following day (a Friday) but went in as there was an important meeting to attend.

From my perspective I signed a contract. I deliver my side of the bargain and my employer delivers on their side. I treat bonuses as just that. It's a bonus and I don't expect it. If one arrives then I treat it as upside.

Now I am fortunate and have an incredibly well paid and interesting job. It was the investment I made from my side as an employee 15-20 years ago that allowed me to progress, significantly outperforming my contemporaries both in terms of my efforts and the rewards by employer has subsequently bestowed on me.

You don’t look after high net worth individuals in Frankfurt by any chance?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    You don’t look after high net worth individuals in Frankfurt by any chance?
    The only one of those I look after is based in Ireland ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The Christmas bonus is just the government's way of saying;

"Hello peasants. Here's afew extra quid to make Christmas a bit more bearable. Think of it as our way of making up for the unequal society with the high cost of living we've created. I know we bleed you dry to keep corporates in a happy tax free zone, I know we can't be bothered to make sure a roof over you're head is affordable, but here.... have a few bob extra and enjoy an Aldi Mince pie on us!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Wasn't feeling the Christmas before reading this thread, but the cockles of my heart are nice and toasty now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Apples 10 billion tax payment will keep us all in turkeys for a long time to come.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

McGrath5 wrote: »
    I think it been called a "bonus" is what riles people up.

I'd personally prefer if the money went towards building some badly needed infrastructure around the country ie metro north or the M20 motorway, this so called bonus is a cynical vote buying exercise.

It probably also helps the recipients children not to have a hungry, cold present less Christmas.
    Screw them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Autochange wrote: »
    It probably also helps the recipients children not to have a hungry, cold present less Christmas.
    Screw them though.

They could use it for a years supply of condoms. Would help prevent kids they can’t afford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Haven't posted for a long time but thought it was worth throwing my 2 cents in.

I'm lucky enough to be working but I wouldn't begrudge anyone the Christmas bonus probably a daft name alright though.

Christmas can be an incredibly tough time for parents, for kids and for those that spend Christmas alone any income that allows them to have a decent social experience is probably paid back in a population with a healthier state of mind.

That said I think we all just hope it doesn't go on cigarettes or gambling which I'm sure a very small minority of people do spend it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Hi OP,

I have terminal cancer, which was diagnosed in my early 30s, when I (understandably, I feel) hadn't even considered life assurance. I'm broke. The tumours in my spine have weakened my back irreparably and the ones in my lungs have reduced their capacity to less than half that of a person who takes no exercise. And I can deteriorate rapidly from here at any moment, not something that would entice prospective employers even if I could currently work. Which I can't.

Christmas is an expensive time, even for someone in my position. I'm delighted to be getting a bit of extra cash. Your OP just referenced social welfare recipients. You didn't specify any particular ones. Just social welfare recipients. So tell me, would you really begrudge someone like me a boost at Christmas? Does it matter what it's called? And, you know, my life is a bit of a trial, both physical and mental. So it does feel like a bit of a bonus for all the crap I go through and will continue to before I pop my clogs in the next few years. And if I was healthy and working (which I want more than anything), I would be very happy for some of my tax euros to go towards giving support to people like me. No system is perfect and I accepted when I was working that a small percentage of social welfare monies went to the undeserving. It was worth it to support the genuinely needy.

Seriously, what is wrong with people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Hi OP,

I have terminal cancer, which was diagnosed in my early 30s, when I (understandably, I feel) hadn't even considered life assurance. I'm broke. The tumours in my spine have weakened my back irreparably and the ones in my lungs have reduced their capacity to less than half that of a person who takes no exercise. And I can deteriorate rapidly from here at any moment, not something that would entice prospective employers even if I could currently work. Which I can't.

Christmas is an expensive time, even for someone in my position. I'm delighted to be getting a bit of extra cash. Your OP just referenced social welfare recipients. You didn't specify any particular ones. Just social welfare recipients. So tell me, would you really begrudge someone like me a boost at Christmas? Does it matter what it's called? And, you know, my life is a bit of a trial, both physical and mental. So it does feel like a bit of a bonus for all the crap I go through and will continue to before I pop my clogs in the next few years. And if I was healthy and working (which I want more than anything), I would be very happy for some of my tax euros to go towards giving support to people like me. No system is perfect and I accepted when I was working that a small percentage of social welfare monies went to the undeserving. It was worth it to support the genuinely needy.

Seriously, what is wrong with people?

Hi, I can't speak for the OP but my feelings would be that people in your situation and similar should be given 2 x the weekly rate for Christmas. As should anyone who has contributed.

Anyone who has only ever taken should get no bonus.

I wish you well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Anyone who has only ever taken should get no bonus.

What about people who have had debilitating illness since their teens or childhood and have never had the opportunity to 'contribute'?

What about people who have had debilitating illness since their teens or childhood and have never had the opportunity to 'contribute'?

Not their fault they haven't contributed though - so I'd treat them exactly the same as someone with those conditions that has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

True. However that'll be a gross income quite a bit higher than the average.

Yes, average earnings for FT workers are 45k approx., not 52k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Payments to people who are genuinely impaired should be increased.

Not just the Xmas payment, I mean the weekly payment.

This should be financed by weeding out those who don't have an impairment.

Geuze wrote: »

+1 agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Geuze wrote: »

I don't think anyone would disagree with that. Their carers should also have their payments increased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭tevey08

It's great to see that someone genuinely struggling has the chance to buy their santy shopping from this bonus. Why does it effect you so much. You're obviously earning a nice wage and able to provide a great christmas for your family. Leave the people enjoy an extra 160, massive bonus that most of us would spend on a night out. To much time on your hands.

Advertisement