Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'd like a bonus please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

tevey08 wrote: »
    It's great to see that someone genuinely struggling has the chance to buy their santy shopping from this bonus. Why does it effect you so much. You're obviously earning a nice wage and able to provide a great christmas for your family. Leave the people enjoy an extra 160, massive bonus that most of us would spend on a night out. To much time on your hands.

I work full time, have done since I left school. Recently changed job and started back at a lower level than previous, with wages to mirror this. I'm already struggling to think how i'll be able to buy presents for the 3/4 people I've to buy for but the govt isn't gonna give me a bonus or the many other working poor out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Hi OP,

I have terminal cancer, which was diagnosed in my early 30s, when I (understandably, I feel) hadn't even considered life assurance. I'm broke. The tumours in my spine have weakened my back irreparably and the ones in my lungs have reduced their capacity to less than half that of a person who takes no exercise. And I can deteriorate rapidly from here at any moment, not something that would entice prospective employers even if I could currently work. Which I can't.

Christmas is an expensive time, even for someone in my position. I'm delighted to be getting a bit of extra cash. Your OP just referenced social welfare recipients. You didn't specify any particular ones. Just social welfare recipients. So tell me, would you really begrudge someone like me a boost at Christmas? Does it matter what it's called? And, you know, my life is a bit of a trial, both physical and mental. So it does feel like a bit of a bonus for all the crap I go through and will continue to before I pop my clogs in the next few years. And if I was healthy and working (which I want more than anything), I would be very happy for some of my tax euros to go towards giving support to people like me. No system is perfect and I accepted when I was working that a small percentage of social welfare monies went to the undeserving. It was worth it to support the genuinely needy.

Seriously, what is wrong with people?

I'm sorry for your troubles.

The OP was more about the term bonus being used rather than whether an extra payment should/shouldn't be paid.

I just think the term causes a big divide. Call it a seasonal top-up/subsidy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

It's great to see that someone genuinely struggling has the chance to buy their santy shopping from this bonus. Why does it effect you so much. You're obviously earning a nice wage and able to provide a great christmas for your family. Leave the people enjoy an extra 160, massive bonus that most of us would spend on a night out. To much time on your hands.

I hate to break it to you but the "nice wage" I EARN (key word there) has about 10k a year taken right off the top before I see any of it.

Then when I do get to see it - near as damnit half goes so I can have a roof over my head, and power/heat to light it.

Then the rest of the bills show up.

160 quid on a night out ??? I have to wait till tomorrow to get paid just to collect a prescription for arthritis pain meds.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭tevey08

I work full time, have done since I left school. Recently changed job and started back at a lower level than previous, with wages to mirror this. I'm already struggling to think how i'll be able to buy presents for the 3/4 people I've to buy for but the govt isn't gonna give me a bonus or the many other working poor out there.

If you're struggling to buy present whilst working full time I'd suggest reevaluating your life choices, changing career and getting a new job with a higher salary that offers you the option to receive an annual bonus.

Most people are on Social Welfare as they've either lost their job or can't find a job. So what if they get a bonus, I'm sure you know someone who's in this situation, would you not be happy for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Xcellor wrote: »
    The OP was more about the term bonus being used rather than whether an extra payment should/shouldn't be paid.

Well, to be frank, that is a really fucking stupid thing to be fixating on.

Anyone bothered by this has little to be worried about. I’m envious really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Well, to be frank, that is a really fucking stupid thing to be fixating on.

Anyone bothered by this has little to be worried about. I’m envious really.

I'm not fixated on it. Just don't call something that isn't a bonus, a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If you are earning below €10 an hour and do not get a bonus, you are better off on the dole for that week.

If you're struggling to buy present whilst working full time I'd suggest reevaluating your life choices, changing career and getting a new job with a higher salary that offers you the option to receive an annual bonus.

Most people are on Social Welfare as they've either lost their job or can't find a job. So what if they get a bonus, I'm sure you know someone who's in this situation, would you not be happy for them.

It always strikes me as odd that if you say to someone on welfare - "get a job", you are evil personified.

Yet go to work, earn your keep, be a burden to one and ask for a tiny bit of something and it's "get a better job, retrain, it's all your fault".

Strikes me as a little unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Xcellor wrote: »
    I'm not fixated on it. Just don't call something that isn't a bonus, a bonus.

I was talking about the OP. And again, what does it matter what it’s called? Someone above said it could be called a subsidy - as if that would go down any better. I just can’t fathom a mindset that would be bothered in any way by this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I hate to break it to you but the "nice wage" I EARN (key word there) has about 10k a year taken right off the top before I see any of it.

Then when I do get to see it - near as damnit half goes so I can have a roof over my head, and power/heat to light it.

160 quid on a night out ??? I have to wait till tomorrow to get paid just to collect a prescription for arthritis pain meds.

So because you pay tax, and are unhappy about it, then someone worse off should be more miserable than you are?

get over yourself. Whenever there's threads like this it's always "ME ME ME". "I PAY TAX. I'M A FCUKING MARTYR". Yeah, life can be expensive and it can be stressful and it can be tiring. But it's even worse when you don't have a job.

If life on the dole is so great then quit your job right now. Otherwise quit your bitching because the government makes life better for some of the least well off in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I was talking about the OP. And again, what does it matter what it’s called? Someone above said it could be called a subsidy - as if that would go down any better. I just can’t fathom a mindset that would be bothered in any way by this.

Couldn't agree more Dara. Excellor is the OP, that's why they're defending it.

I think I posted a few pages back that if that's all someone has to worry about this Christmas then they're doing very well in life.

It's just another benefit dashing thread, end of. Please believe that the vast majority of people don't feel this way. Just a core bunch on boards who believe life on benefits is all champagne and caviar.

It always strikes me as odd that if you say to someone on welfare - "get a job", you are evil personified.

Yet go to work, earn your keep, be a burden to one and ask for a tiny bit of something and it's "get a better job, retrain, it's all your fault".

Strikes me as a little unfair.

If you're not getting a bonus then it's your company you should be complaining about, it's a decision made from the owner of that company not to give a bonus. Why get so worked up over a measly 160 euro. Just hope that you never find yourself in a position collecting 188 a week and trying to live off of it. I'm sure being unemployed and going to the social welfare is the lowest you'll ever feel in your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

No one is EVER just on the basic E188 a week. So that can end right now.

Add up all the other freebies that we have to pay for and they're on a lot more.

I was for 2 weeks this year.... Glad of it too

If you're not getting a bonus then it's your company you should be complaining about, it's a decision made from the owner of that company not to give a bonus. Why get so worked up over a measly 160 euro. Just hope that you never find yourself in a position collecting 188 a week and trying to live off of it. I'm sure being unemployed and going to the social welfare is the lowest you'll ever feel in your life.

"Owner of the company" - er, you do realise most people don't work for old man Potter don't you ?

Oh and way to miss my point btw.

So if you're struggling to pay your bills on the money you earn, then imaging how some of the people on social welfare struggle. Like you, everyone else has to pay to keep a roof over their head, like you, everyone has to eat, like you, everyone had to keep warm and like you, everyone is paying tax. Not all about you and the self centered world you live in.

If the scroungers are struggling to buy presents, I'd suggest reevaluating their life choices and getting a job with a salary that offers them the option to receive a wage.

If the scroungers are struggling to buy presents, I'd suggest reevaluating their life choices and getting a job with a salary that offers them the option to receive a wage.

Apparently they can't find a job. Yet we're meant to immediately find a better, higher paying job immediately.

Odd that.

So if you're struggling to pay your bills on the money you earn, then imaging how some of the people on social welfare struggle. Like you, everyone else has to pay to keep a roof over their head, like you, everyone has to eat, like you, everyone had to keep warm and like you, everyone is paying tax. Not all about you and the self centered world you live in.

Oh you could not be more wrong there sunshine.

Apparently they can't find a job. Yet we're meant to immediately find a better, higher paying job immediately.

Odd that.

Well if it's so easy for these people to find a job, I'm sure it's easier for an employed person with lots of experience to find a higher paying job. It's nonsense.

I know people who seriously struggle to find a job. Employers have such a selection of people to choose from, they're hardly going to give the job to someone unemployed with less experience than others. Many people struggle sometime in life and for those searching for employment, I feel sorry for them.

• Advertisement

Well if it's so easy for these people to find a job, I'm sure it's easier for an employed person with lots of experience to find a higher paying job. It's nonsense.

I know people who seriously struggle to find a job. Employers have such a selection of people to choose from, they're hardly going to give the job to someone unemployed with less experience than others. Many people struggle sometime in life and for those searching for employment, I feel sorry for them.

Why can't they just reevaluate their life choices though?? Plenty of entry level jobs around everywhere where no experience is needed. McDonalds, Burger King, stockrooms in multiples of shops, stacking shelves.

I'd less experience than others when I started working. Everyone that starts working has zero experience.

If you are earning below €10 an hour and do not get a bonus, you are better off on the dole for that week.

Strange, I was in that situation yet never once thought about quitting. I'm still only just above that pay and still the thought of losing my job is absolutely horrible to me.

Why can't they just reevaluate their life choices though?? Plenty of entry level jobs around everywhere where no experience is needed. McDonalds, Burger King, stockrooms in multiples of shops, stacking shelves.

I'd less experience than others when I started working. Everyone that starts working has zero experience.

Yeah, tons of those jobs in rural Ireland. :rolleyes:

pilly wrote: »
    Yeah, tons of those jobs in rural Ireland. :rolleyes:

They all order their groceries online, eh? I've been all over Ireland, most towns and villages have a supermarket and at least 2 chippers.

They all order their groceries online, eh? I've been all over Ireland, most towns and villages have a supermarket and at least 2 chippers.

And how many employees between them? Certainly not the entire young population. Don't try to make silly points.

And how many employees between them? Certainly not the entire young population. Don't try to make silly points.

Scroungers come in all ages.

If turas nua is unable to get people into employment then what hope have they. I know for certain they're isn't jobs in my hometown like you think there is.

Last year took an 11k pay cut to relocate back to my hometown and could only get a job 30 minutes from my hometown. Only now 1 year later I've found a job in my hometown with a similar salary to Dublin.

Scroungers come in all ages.

Now you're just trying to be inflammatory. Point is the local shop and chipper can't give the entire population employment.

But you know that. You just like saying scroungers. Well done you. Hope it's made your day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

In my personal experience being on the dole is one big long process of evaluating and feeling bad about your life choices, and looking for jobs. Which funnily enough doesn't make jobs appear for you.

"Evaluate your life choices and get a job" is great advice, why didn't I think of it?

• Advertisement

Now you're just trying to be inflammatory. Point is the local shop and chipper can't give the entire population employment.

But you know that. You just like saying scroungers. Well done you. Hope it's made your day.

Look, you know and I know that there are jobs out there for anyone that wants one. It might not be their dream job or enough to keep them in Cristal, but if anyone wants to work they can, be it cleaning, fast food, agriculture, call centres. The problem is that there is a vast amount of people in Ireland who blatantly refuse to work and nothing is done to stop this.

Look, you know and I know that there are jobs out there for anyone that wants one. It might not be their dream job or enough to keep them in Cristal, but if anyone wants to work they can, be it cleaning, fast food, agriculture, call centres. The problem is that there is a vast amount of people in Ireland who blatantly refuse to work and nothing is done to stop this.

Will you stop with the common sense!!! We've no call for that around here!!

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'll have a go at giving my opinion, I will inevitably end up wording it wrong and offending someone so as a disclaimer, I don't mean to offend anyone!

I have no problem with this bonus. I have no problem with anyone in receipt of social welfare due to long term illness, or incapacity to work. My own mam is a carer to my brother and I'm pretty sure she's in receipt of some form of social welfare for that, though I've never asked her.
    I don't even have a problem with those who are long term unemployed and on the dole because the issues to do with that are a lot more deep rooted and complex than "too lazy" to work, which is what most people think.
    I genuinely feel sorry for anyone who has to attempt to pay for Christmas on €188 a week.

My issue is with the "cute hoors", as I like to call them. I'm actually friendly enough with someone like this, and know of many others like her.
    She works 20 hours a week, in a cafe, mostly for cash in hand. Her wage is then topped up by dole because she is technically only working part time, as she is paid mostly cash. She is in receipt of FIS, lone parents (even though she is still in a relationship with her sons father), childrens allowance and she has a full medical card, as does her child.
    She lives in a new build council house. Before she got the house, while she was on a waiting list, she availed of the HAP scheme to rent her lovely apartment. She comes out with around €550 a week (my own estimates) for working 20 hours.

She is totally cheating the system. And not only does she get away with it, because she's clever, but she also gets none of the vitriol from the general public because on the surface, it looks like she's just a young mother trying her best and working part time.

I only know she's in receipt of all that because the last time I was talking to her, she had just gotten porcelain veneers done on her teeth and I couldn't figure out how she afforded them. She's been on 3 holidays already this year and she's going to New York for a few days next month. She didn't tell me how much she was making but she did tell me that she was in receipt of all of those benefits.
    I work full time and am degree educated and couldn't afford the lifestyle she leads.

Its people like her that make my blood boil. And they're always the ones that go under the radar. They're never the ones that the media target and they're never the ones the general public would refer to as a "scrounger". Because she's doing the few hours a week, she's doing her bit, its better than the "wasters" who haven't worked for 10 years. Never mind the fact that the "waster" has suffocating depression and anxiety, its this person that is seen as public enemy while she jets off on another shopping trip.

And I know, I know, before anyone says it, I should report her. I probably will. I just wanted to show another side to it. The people on €188 aren't the problem, the people who are so in tune with the system they know how to completely manipulate it are the problem. And that needs far more attention that the extra couple of quid given out at Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I'm seriously fed up with the attitude of some people towards the unemployed. I've been unemployed on and off since I graduated, and so have a large amount of the people I went to college with. I certainly haven't been turning my nose up at any work going either - I went abroad in the height of the recession and worked minimum wage jobs because getting those here was next to impossible. I spent 9 months on jobbridge for significantly less than minimum wage, and I'd gladly do it again just for the sake of having a regular job of some description, but sure that option doesn't exist anymore. Incidentally, I'd consider the large companies and state agencies taking advantage of below minimum wage labour while paying their higher ups 6 figure sums to be bigger "scroungers" than most people on the dole, but that's a rant in itself. I'm working on a part time course to try to transfer my skills into a more employable area. I live in a rural area where there isn't much work, yet I apply to jobs all over the country and most of the time don't have any success, and when I do it's for a short term contract.

Then I come on here and read people complain that they don't like the fact it's called a bonus, or unironically talk about how they're going to "struggle" at Christmas and why don't they get a bonus too, despite the fact even people on minimum wage are better off than those on the dole. I won't even get the bonus, if that makes some of you feel better, but the amount of begrudging towards people who do is pathetic.

Think of a 60 year old, didn't finish school, worked on sites, roads, doorman, taxi driver. What job is out there for him?

Think of a 60 year old, didn't finish school, worked on sites, roads, doorman, taxi driver. What job is out there for him?

Nothing to stop a 60yo from being a doorman, taxi-driver, hotel porter, working in a call centre, garden centre, shelf stacking, doing deliveries for a local supermarket. None of which need a completed school education. A friend of mines father is in his early sixties and is still working on sites as a plasterers labourer.

• Advertisement

Nothing to stop a 60yo from being a doorman, taxi-driver, hotel porter, working in a call centre, garden centre, shelf stacking, doing deliveries for a local supermarket. None of which need a completed school education. A friend of mines father is in his early sixties and is still working on sites as a plasterers labourer.

He has arthritis, emphysema, had several heart attacks and a flight of stairs is too much for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Great another dole bashing thread :rolleyes:

Ah sur it's only the 500th this week. :pac: Haven't hit the 1000 a week quota yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

He has arthritis, emphysema, had several heart attacks and a flight of stairs is too much for him.

you can't just continuously invent stuff to try support your narrative.

How many 60 year old's do you know with all those problems?

Cina wrote: »
    you can't just continuously invent stuff to try support your narrative.
    Not inventing, just didn't think I'd need to mention all the other stuff. :pac:
    How many 60 year old's do you know with all those problems?
    One specific one I'm thinking of. Can think of 3 or 4 with some of those and other similar ones from the street I grew up in. There are other issues I can think of other than medical as well. In those cases I just wonder what's best, give them the dole for the few years before retirement or spend more on retraining them in the hope that some of it will be repaid. I don't feel strongly enough about it to bother them tbh.

Speak for yourself, not me.

I don't know anyone out of work that doesn't want a job.

Maybe you mix in the wrong circles.

• Advertisement

How are all the hard working bonus-deprived contributing to this thread so much on a Tuesday afternoon btw?

Shouldn't someone like that be on a disability based benefit rather than being made to look for work ?

It's the able bodied waster baby machines we have the issue with.

How are all the hard working bonus-deprived contributing to this thread so much on a Tuesday afternoon btw?

Having a ten minute break in the middle of a 11 hour working day to shovel some food in lest I faint whilst paying for the rest of you.

How's yourself ?

Speak for yourself, not me.

I don't know anyone out of work that doesn't want a job.

Maybe you mix in the wrong circles.

I don't mix with scroungers, but there are plenty about. You think all the junkies in town are working full time jobs? All the "single" mothers with 2/3/4/5/6 kids??

Annual leave. Living it up like a dolester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Having a ten minute break in the middle of a 11 hour working day to shovel some food in lest I faint whilst paying for the rest of you.

How's yourself ?

I did that for years ,12 hour shifts in a very busy hospital and sometimes no break to even go to the loo .Now I get a pension from Social Welfare and a bonus at Christmas .Have you a problem with that ?

I don't mix with scroungers, but there are plenty about. You think all the junkies in town are working full time jobs? All the "single" mothers with 2/3/4/5/6 kids??

Try a 25 minute walk from Jervis to past the Shelbourne.

Seems to be ground zero.

Oh and the Jervis LUAS stop seems to be where the single mothers go, with loads of shopping bags; buggies the size of a Volkswagen and an attitude of a similar size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

He'll be entitled to disability benefit or an invalidity pension then.

No need to claim the dole.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I did that for years ,12 hour shifts in a very busy hospital and sometimes no break to even go to the loo .Now I get a pension from Social Welfare and a bonus at Christmas .Have you a problem with that ?

In no way whatsoever. My argument was that you should get more in fact.

How's yourself ?

Taking a sh1t break in the middle of a work day that I don't expect a medal for, it's going well enough. Thanks for asking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement