Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackeral Fishing

Options
  • 27-11-2017 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Went out fishing from Malahide sat I was very surprised to catch mackeral I taught they would be well gone by now must have caught about 50 macks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

I have noticed that since the last 5 + years mackerel can be caught all year round in some locations especially in the west,they still taste good but not as oily as the mackerel caught during the summer months but make excellent bait when fresh for large cod this time of the year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Myself and brother caught a nice few near Caherciveen about 4 weeks ago. We were surprised they were still to be had that late in the year to be honest. We caught 9 I think in 2 hours; all but 2 were quite small however, so we returned a few of them.

Apparently there has been shortage of mackerel near Caherciveen this year, but I heard from 2 separate sources they've been quite small in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nokiatom

mackerel are fine up to the point of spawning. after that just throw them back. they are horrible to eat. during the winter months they spawn so you could be lucky by catching they ones that haven't spawned yet

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

nokiatom wrote: »
    mackerel are fine up to the point of spawning. after that just throw them back. they are horrible to eat. during the winter months they spawn so you could be lucky by catching they ones that haven't spawned yet

Just to educate myself. How can you tell if they have/have not spawned.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nokiatom

Usually after spawning they are a lot softer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement